Search

Which Jamaican City?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 04:34 PM
Julie

Which Jamaican City?

Hello,<BR><BR>I am planning a trip to Jamaica with 2 other friends (single women late 20's) for February 2003 however we are having trouble deciding on which city to stay in (Ocho, Negril or Montego Bay). We are looking at a 4 day trip where we would like to participate in various activities (snorkeling, tennis, swimming, sightseeing nightlife and of course R&R). We are currently leaning towards Negril for the beaches and nightlife however we would love to visit Dunn's Falls and Montego Bay. <BR><BR>For those who have visited Jamaica, what city do you suggest that we stay? If we stayed in Negril, are there quick/inexpensive tours to Dunn's Falls?<BR><BR>Before visiting with our travel agent, we would like to narrow down our choices. Any feedback is truly welcomed.<BR><BR>Thank you.

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 12:41 AM
tivertonhouse

Negril's right for you,esp.since Feb.is high season -- but arrange with a private guide for a trip to YS Falls/Black River instead of Dunn's River which is a 4 hour drive from Negril. Mayfields Falls,tho smaller,also a good choice. There's little of major interest in MoBay outside the Gallery of West Indian art (keyword 'jamaican art' on any search engine) worth taking up 1 of your 4 day holiday...

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 07:40 PM
Julie

Thank you for your response....<BR><BR>Are there other opinions???

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 01:20 AM
tivertonhouse

Julie:For 3 women/4 days in Negril, check out 'Jackie's on the Rocks', a very small yoga/spa/pampering kind of place;The Caves (islandoutpost.com) on the West End cliffs,Rockhouse and Swept Away. Check also JAKE'S (treasurebeach.net) -- if your ta knows Jamaica outside the AIs,great. If not,you can do plenty of research online. (negril.com, jamaicans.com,etc.)Book now tho for Feb prime season and look for airfare deals first,places second,packages third.<BR>

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 07:36 AM
Eric

Julie,<BR><BR>I've been to Jamaica a number of times. My advice would be to avoid Montego Bay at all costs. It is less expensive, but there's a reason for this... <BR><BR>Ochos Rios is nice, but tends to have smaller beaches, and is rather over- developed. My wife and I have found it hard taking nice long walks on the beach in Ochos, due to the fact that you can't always go from resort to resort along the beaches. Ochos Rios is closer to Dunn's River Falls, but I would skip Dunn's River entirely If I were you. I know this may run adverse to the travel channel, or the tourist pamphlets, but it's not that great. Typically it is very crowded, and you are herded up like cattle. My wife and I prefer checking any of the other waterfalls and beautiful sights on the island, at our own pace. <BR><BR>Negril is great. The 7 mile beach is wonderful. You can walk from end to end. While you are there, check out Bloody Bay. It's on the tip of Negril, and is still relatively undeveloped (that's about to change). Also check out YS Falls while in Negril. They are great, and much more laid back and natural then the "march up Dunn's River"...<BR><BR>I belive the road from Montego Bay to Negril is done now. This means the ride from the airport may be as little as one hour. <BR><BR>If you are looking for a place to stay in Negril - I've stayed at Riu Bloody Bay - It's great. Beautiful location. Huge beachfront, with good watersports department. The price is kinda steep, and the food is medium. Rooms are excellent. Entertainment is poor.<BR><BR>If you are looking to spend less money, try Point Village. We've stayed there on 2 trips. The food is medium, but you can get a room with a kitchen and go the European Plan (no food included). Take a cab to the village and get some groceries, and you're all set. Going EP also gets you out of the resort more, for food and drinks.<BR>Point Village is in a great location, on the tip of the 7 mile beach, and has it's own little private beach as well (no vendors)...<BR><BR>If you want to be in the middle of things, try White Sands Negril. Rooms are $100 per night, and many are right on the beach. Excellent bargain - award winning. Check out www.negril.com for more info on all Negril hotels. <BR><BR>Remember to bring lots of small american bills (1's, 5's and 10's).<BR>You don't need to exchange to Jamaican dollers... <BR><BR>Use Taxi's with red license plates (and barter for the price before you get in). These guys are great, and will be glad to take you all around.<BR><BR>Hope you have a great time... <BR><BR>Eric<BR><BR>ps: If you want something a little more laid back - forget about MoBay, Ochos and Negril, and head for Port Antonio or Treasure Beach. Not alot of "nightlife" but alot less vendors and noise. <BR><BR>