Search

Runaway Bay

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27th, 2012, 05:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Runaway Bay

We will be staying in Runaway Bay for 5 nights in July. Any suggestions for "must do" trips/ places to eat... Haven't been to Dunns River Falls yet, so although I realize it's very touristy it's still on our to do list. We'll be staying at an AI but would still like to get off the resort and see something of the island and try some local restaurants.
Thanks!
Old Mar 28th, 2012, 05:43 AM
KVR

We stayed at the Jewel Dunn's River in Ocho Rios this past December. We hired A-Z Jamacia Planners as our tour guide. I told them where and when I wanted to go and they sent us Oscar, who we really like to take us around.

I would say Runaway Bay is about 20 minutes or so from Ocho Rios. We drove past the The Gran Bahia Principe on our way to Falmouth, where we did the rafting down Martha Brae and went to the Glistening Waters Restaurant. It looked OK from the outside.

We did go to Dunn's River just to say we've been there, done that. We went early in the morning and it was already crowded. No way were we going to take the time to climb the falls. We have some mobility issues and it wasn't worth it. Lots of walking. If you interact with any of the locals they will latch on to you to sell you stuff. If you don't want anything, no eye contact and don't speak. I really preferred the YS Falls and Mayfield Falls over Dunn's.

We also went to Coyabo Gardens and Shaw Park Gardens. The place was deserted when we went and it was awesome. Beautiful gardens and waterfalls there.

We also went to the shopping plaza and Margaritaville. Another one of those places where we had to say been there, done that. Took some pictures and shopped a little. The vendors there are overly agressive and I found the things I wanted much easier and with less stress at some of the tours we took and the airport.

We also ate a Scotchies, went was right down the way from our hotel. The Green Gotto Caves were also close to our hotel and something I wanted to do, but we ran out of time.

If you're interested, I have pictures of our trip posted at:

http://community.webshots.com/user/kvrlvn
Old Feb 22nd, 2013, 04:26 AM

Why do they not list all the resorts and hotels on the Runaway Bay Hotel Link here? Who can you contact to tell them they are missing some???

We stayed at the Royal Decameron Fun in July - and had a full 3.5 star experience!
Old Feb 22nd, 2013, 07:26 AM

kcdancerkc- How did you enjoy the Fun Caribbean? We stayed at the Royal Decameron in Mobay last year and had a wonderful time. It was a great value for money and a lovely, small resort. I am not returning to Jamaica anytime soon but the Club Caribbean and Fun Caribbean seem to be even better so we would consider staying there for a future trip. They have mixed reviews though…did you enjoy?
Old Feb 22nd, 2013, 11:16 PM

If you go to Royal Fun/ Royal Club (shuttle back and forth) just know to expect 3 to 3.5 stars... we are all about the water, snorkeling, beach, dancing and always hopeful for great food.

We never did make it to sister resort next door -- people kept coming over to ours and saying it was more lively and fun! It used to be Hedonism, and bartenders have a lot of stories!

Here is hubby's review includes Frenchman's cove lagoon too and picts

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...ECK_RATES_CONT

Our first stay in JA was at Royal in Mobay. Sooooo cool.

We went to trip advisor site and saw the mixed reviews - everything is so subjective --- I'm sitting here in a foot of snow and a swim up bar really doesn't have to be 5 star!! LOL

I have a long review of the place on tripadvisor.com -

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...ECK_RATES_CONT

We went specifically to save money and relax -- unlike cruises where there are so many time oriented things.

During our July stay we also went in cab to Flavours Beach bar where nothing fancy - you pick out your fish an they cook it! Public beach - more people selling things than at the AI resort - nobody selling stuff there. Get tired of resort food

Been to JA 5 times - very lucky - for the bucket list I suggest Lover's Leap and Frenchman's Cove beach-- non touristy things! OH and Pelican bar - south coast! Look at google images of these -- !

We now hire our guide ( now "friend") x 4 stays who take us everywhere and keeps us safe and happy- and off the beaten path--Roadside food the Jamaican's eat is WOW!

Sorry so long!