Regent Palms

Sep 20th, 2010, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Regent Palms

I am considering a stay at Regent Palms over thanksgiving week (amongst other options). Blamona/others can you pls let me know what your impressions are about this hotel. There is a huge difference in pricing between Regent Palms and Somerset. Also we would get an oceanview rooms so any thougts on the view would also be very helpful. thank you...

The other option on the table for me is a private villa on Treasure Cay in the abacos. The beach looks wonderful but I am afraid we may be slightly bored. We have stayed at Elbow Cay in the abacos in the past.
Sep 20th, 2010, 01:06 PM

Do you have a budget? Have you considered West Bay Club?

I've been to Treasure Cay, I found less to do there than Elbow Cay, but it does have a gorgeous beach.

If you look into West Bay Club, you get a lot for the money--but you will need a car to get around. (Actually you probably need a car at most places, are the good restaurants are in "clumps."

Both Palms and Somerset have gorgeous rooms, gorgeous views. Ocean views seem to consist of pools with the pools beyond. I like the architecture of Somerset better, both have cool pools. They are right next door to each other. The Palms has an excellent spa, and is more of a "see and be seen" crowd, Somerset is luxury but laid back. West Bay Club is really nice too.
Sep 20th, 2010, 03:42 PM

We stayed at The Regent Palms for our Honeymoon , since then we have stayed at Somerset 6 times...better service, better restaurants, nicer pool , too many kids at Palms IMO. Both are nice- Somerset better, West Bay Club--NO thanks, that end of the beach is too quiet for us--Somerset location is best to walk to other dining choices.
Sep 21st, 2010, 04:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Blamona and Caribzack...we will have our 7yr old with us so Palms may work but we really like quiet at the same time so will look into west bay club as well..
Sep 21st, 2010, 04:58 AM

I always have my now 8 year old in tow. Her favorites (this a quote from her), "Mom, The Somerset is the best place in the world. but I like West Bay Club and the funny named one with the cool pool (Gansevoort.) I like fish tacos at Hemingways, and the mozzerela. Can we just go?"
Nov 12th, 2010, 11:00 AM

My husband and I stayed at the Regent Palms on our honeymoon in July, 2007. It was a wonderful trip! The Regent Palms is beautiful, with gorgeous grounds, an amazing pool, and of course, beautiful beach. I also loved their daily breakfast buffet that was included in the price of the room -- I would eat a lot...and then not be super hungry at lunchtime. That way we'd split something for lunch and save a little $. Which was worthwhile, since dinner at the Palms' Parallel 23 restaurant is pretty pricey -- and yet I am still dreaming about their pan-seared foie gras appetizer and delicious fish.

The room, which was just a garden view w/king bed, was sunny and comfy. I've never slept better than on that bed! Granted, it was our honeymoon, so relaxing was in order, but seriously, I can't seem to find a mattress that comfy in retail stores.

I would definitely recommend the Regent Palms.... I think the only downside is that it isn't close to many other restaurants (with the exception of Hemingways -- a short walk away on the beach). We took cabs to other restaurants and once or twice walked about a mile to some shops. There's not much nearby, and we didn't rent a car.

We're going on a vacation this winter and I'd love to go back...but it's too pricey for us this time around. Looks like we're Aruba bound (stayed tuned...)
Nov 12th, 2010, 08:58 PM

blamona, this is for you:

You are so knowedgeable on Grace Bay. We have stayed 3 yrs. at Ocean Club West. Here's what we like:

Low rise so easy access to the beach & pool.
Day & night casual restaurant right on the beach, restroom & bar closeby, always enough umbrellas and chairs so no early morning run. Easy location for me to "beach it" while MDH golfs. Great location to walk to so many restaurants(the taxis are outrageous). Free shuttle to the golf course. Short walk to the grocery store for breakfast items, snacks & wine.

So here's my question---Yes, we'd like to try someplace new, but where would that be? We are not arguing price, and yes OCW is a bit dated, but we don't like hi-rises. The Sands was OK, but we liked the beach better at OCW. Unfortunately, it's become a bit predictable. Any suggestions?
Nov 14th, 2010, 04:24 PM

Not Blamona, but here's my 2 cents. Check out the Alexandra. Price is right and beach is awesome. I liked it better than the beach in front of RWI. Downside is that it isn't as centrally located at OCW or The Sands. And when we stayed we had some minor issues but if you can get a room in the newer building (modern decor and larger)and a good rate, it might be a good option. Beach alone is worth it. We also really liked RWI. Landscaping, pool, restaurant and rooms were great. We stayed when it was really rough so that may have impacted my impression of the beach.
Nov 15th, 2010, 11:57 AM

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll definitely check out the Alexandra. We're open to anything. The RWI is a very nice property, we go to Mango Reef for lunch or dinner. It's near the golf course, but a little far for walking to shops and restaurants, except Coco Bistro & Coyaba (both are favorites of ours).