Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Blamona, T&C question please :-) West bay club/somerset

Sep 18th, 2012, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

Hi- years ago we stayed at the Regent Palms in T&C with our 3 yo daughter. We are looking to go back to T&C with another family and they have 3 children. Finding luxury accomodations that will suit them and not break the bank has been a challenge. last year there were quite a few VRBO listings for Somerset which seem to have disappeared. Booking through VRBO was a great option. I'm looking at Turks and Caicos reservations now and they show a very good deal with the West bay Club. How does that compare to the Somerset or the regent palms? is it near the restaurants? would we need a car? When we stayed at RP we didn't rent a car and were very happy. Thank you in advance for any advice.
Sep 18th, 2012, 06:38 PM

You need a car.
WBC for the money is stunning and gorgeous, and great value for the money.
It's at the end of the beach, so I highly recommend transportation.

Many resorts are now not allowing VRBO, it will be interesting to see how it will play out.
Your in good hands with TCR.
Sep 19th, 2012, 02:21 AM

I'm not Blamona but, Somerset & Regent Palms do not let owners rent on their own. As far as location West Bay Club is West and not near the Regent Palms area you liked. At Somerset or Palms you can walk as you know to many restaurants. We spent our Honeymoon at Regent Palms but, have since been staying at Somerset..love it!
Sep 19th, 2012, 03:13 AM
Original Poster

Thank you.Last year Somerset had several units on VRBO. Is that a policy change from last year? What about Seven Stars? is that closer to the restaurants and how does it compare to WBC? Are there any high end hotels on Grace Bay that allow owners to privately rent their villas?
Sep 19th, 2012, 03:39 AM

We stayed at West Bay Club last year. As Blamona said, you will definitely need a car. There are very few restaurants within walking distance and the one on site is not very good.

HOWEVER... the slightly remote location means that it has a wide very uncrowded beachfront, which many other resorts - including Seven Stars - do not.

And it is only about ten minutes walking distance from a a major snorkeling sport.

Lastly, the accommodations- at least in the luxury units - are really outstanding,and an excellent value for the money.
Sep 19th, 2012, 03:40 AM

Starting in April, with the passing of VAT tax, under the provisions no resort is allowed to have units on VRBO. This may play out differently in courts, but until then I say no.

Seven Stars never had any either on VRBO

The high end resorts have similar price points.

Sometimes if you sign up on Facebook, like their pages, they offer discounts not offered to other vacationers too. For exple, recently Somerset had an unheard of 30% off their FB fans. Worth it just for that. Seven Stars has similar FB specials.

You can also go through VRBO page under Grace Bay Beach to see which properties still list there but you'll probably have to click on each individually to see which properties they are.

The VAT starts in April, I'd be interested to see if resorts listed on VRBO can take vacationers until it's all resolved.

You could also check out Villa Del Mar. Behind Grace Bay Club, save money behind the beach, yet very nicely appointed and close to the main hub.

You can still get luxurious villas through VRBO.
Sep 19th, 2012, 04:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much Blamona. That makes sense. I wondered what had happened. Comparing WBC to Seven Stars, which is the more luxurious? We will be with young kids, so we dont need a secluded beach,and really proximity to restaurants and a good on site restaurant are important. Thank you!
Sep 19th, 2012, 04:59 PM

I don't know about the taxes or VRBO in Turks, but I do know that Turks and Caicos Reservations is a great company to call for help with your vacation planning. We've used them twice since January, and have been happy with the service and prices. They've always been cordial, helpful people, and they're on the island if you need them.

The TCR manager spent 30 minutes with us, talking about side-trips, restaurants, and things we could do. We would have never known about The Conch Shack, Caicos Dream conch tour, or the ribs dinner at Tiki Hut if it wasn't for him. They turned out to be some of our best vacation memories.

Thanks again, Val.
Sep 20th, 2012, 06:11 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your responses. I did find some condos on VRBO for Regent Grand. I know the regent grand isn't the regent palms, but i wonder how it compares to it and the somerset?
Thanks Val, had read about TCr and will look into it.
Sep 20th, 2012, 08:23 AM

Regent Grand is not like The Somerset or Regent Palms--no real services at Regent Grand..the other 2 have full service, restaurants, beach service, non motorized sports etc..PLUS Regent Grand has a narrow beach and you find yourself on a bit of a slope in the afternoons as you move up toward the condos. Perhaps not a big deal to some .but the other 2 have better beaches IMO..
Sep 20th, 2012, 03:43 PM

emcash, I'm not Val.

He's the man who gave us local tips and advice, while we were there last month. He manages a company called Turks and Caicos Reservations, that we've used for our last two vacations in Turks.

Both ladies who made our hotel resservations at T&C Res were very nice and helpful, and the prices were good too. I can recommend them without a doubt. www.turksandcaicosreservations.tc
Sep 21st, 2012, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Oops! sorry tarpon tony LOL. Thanks for the info- will try them
Sep 21st, 2012, 05:42 PM

No problem. After reading what I wrote, I understand how it sounds confusing. My given name is Tony. I was trying to say a public "thank you" to Val and his employees, because he menitioned they sometimes read this website.

Happy to help, emcash. I also have some recent trip reports listed below, if you find those helpful. You'll love Turks.