Search

Recommendations on Caneel Bay Resort for non-guests

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11th, 2005, 02:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recommendations on Caneel Bay Resort for non-guests

Hello,

We are going to STJ for the second time in Feb. 2006 and tried to book a single night stay at Caneel for our last night as a splurge (we are staying the rest of the week at Garden By the Sea B&B), however, they said that there is a minimum reservation of a 5-night stay.

Our primary reason for wanting to stay there was to check out the beaches and snorkeling, which we didn't do during our first stay. We have rented a car for the week and would like to know if there is a place to park in order to check out the beaches and snorkeling?? Are there only certain beaches you are allowed on if you are not a guest? Are there any charges for this??

Thanks for your help!!
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 05:31 PM

danandmelissa,
We are staying at Caneel in June for the first time and the way I understand it is non-guests can use the facilities at and around Caneel Beach, but the other beaches are off limits. Am I right? In her trip report from earlier this year I remember Christie saying that her family spent the day at Caneel hanging out at Caneel Beach.
-Bill
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 06:50 PM

We went to Caneel beach, but stayed in a villa. All the beaches on St. John are public. But the property to get to some of these beaches by land is private. Caneel only advertises it's main (Caneel) beach as available to the public. When we were in St. John in October, we parked in their guest lot and went to Caneel Beach. It was a nice beach with really good snorkeling towards the right near the point. They have chairs that are for guests only, but when we were there there were only 2 or 3 other people on the entire beach so we used their chairs. I did get some advice from someone on another board who has stayed at Caneel many times. If you want to go to Turtle Bay Beach (which we did not have time for unfortunately), tell the person in the information booth that you would like to hike the Turtle Point Trail. Then a shuttle bus will take you there. It's a very short, easy hike and at the end of it you read Turtle Bay. Hope you have a wonderful time! I know I can't wait to go back.
Old Nov 12th, 2005, 04:26 AM

We've stayed at Caneel a number of times so I can answer your question. In fact, we love that property so much-- the gorgeous views, the wonderful snorkeling-- that even when we rent a condo on St John, we go back to the resort for some of our "non-Caneel" days. It's very simple to park in Caneel's lot. Just say that you're coming to have their buffet lunch. And though it's true that only the main beach is supposed to be for guests, they truly don't mind-- in fact no one would even notice-- if you explore every one of the other beaches-- and you really should! It's easy to walk from one to the other-- on the path, not the beach-- but it's even easier to take the little shuttle that goes around the paths continuously. You'll see the shuttle stops-- just hop on; no one asks to see indentification. By the way, the snorkeling on the left side of the main beach is even better (in our opinion) than on the right side. All the beaches there have great snorkeling-- never out straight, always from the 2 sides. Sometimes just snorkeling the perimeters of the shores, and sometimes going way out around far points (esp the left and right sides of Hawksnest). Have fun!
Old Nov 13th, 2005, 11:30 AM

Hi! As "Caneelers", I can tell you that yes, ONLY the Caneel Beach by the dock is public. The bus drivers and other workers are good at knowing who the guests are and will say something to others if they think they are using the beaches that are only for Caneel guests. The Caneel beach is very nice, and yes, it has some good snorkeling by the point. Look up to see the Iguanas walking on the grass.
Old Nov 13th, 2005, 01:07 PM

I too have been to Caneel 3 times. The main beach in front of the facilities is public and very nice. On my first visit, I stayed on that beach and it was great. I think the snorkeling is best on the far end (toward Scott beach) but I liked this beach for snorkeling more than the others.
Old Nov 13th, 2005, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for your advice!! It is good to know that we will still be able to check out the Caneel property and hopefully plan a stay of our own in the future!!

Melissa
Old Nov 13th, 2005, 05:11 PM

If you park in the Caneel public parking and follow the path(road) that heads toward the left of the property--you end up at Honeymoon Beach and then Salomon Bay---2 really nice beaches separated by a little snorkeling reef. We enjoyed these beaches.
Old Nov 13th, 2005, 05:19 PM

Try www.expedia.com for a one night stay. We stayed two years ago and they told us the same thing when I called Caneel Bay direct, but when I went to Expedia I was able to book a single night.
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 03:41 AM
Original Poster

Macrodome,

Thanks--we actually tried this but Expedia also is adhering to the 5 night minimum. I think it is because it's a holiday week when we are going.

Melissa