Search

Caneel Bay Snorkeling

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 2008, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Caneel Bay Snorkeling

I've seen mention that the snorkeling off the beaches at Caneel is very good. I've been to St. John twice, and have never snorkeled at Caneel, though I've loved Trunk, Mahoe/Francis, and Waterlemon Cay, and also the beach at Secret Harbour on ST. I'll be going again in June with my family - should we not miss snorkeling at Caneel? And which beaches, parking, etc. would you recommend?
Old Apr 19th, 2008, 05:13 AM

We have not snorkeled at Caneel, but have been swimming there. I have heard you can see turtles, ray, etc. And just checking our the place, itself is great.
We love Salt Pond Bay for snorkeling.
Old Apr 19th, 2008, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

Hi mahobaygirl - we've been to Salt Pond for the hike - snorkeling is good in the bay? This time we'll be staying on Coral Bay so it's not so long a drive.
Old Apr 19th, 2008, 06:17 AM

Yes, do snorkel at Caneel. I like it as well or better than anyplace on St John. Parking is no problem. You're welcome to use the resort's parking lot; e.g. many people do when they come for lunch or dinner. Also welcome to use the main beach (though not resort's chairs of course). Either bring own sand chairs or towels, plop them down somewhere in that main part-- and off you go.
The snorkeling off the main beach is good, off to the right (facing water) side, along the perimeter. You swim from there on around the point to Paradise Beach, which is also good. One of the places we like best at Caneel is all along the left side of Little Caneel Beach (to the left of the main beach, to the left of the pier). Tons of squid there always and whole lot of other stuff. You can swim around that left point on around to Honeymoon and Solomon's beaches: all beautiful and plenty of fish (not great coral). Every single other beach at Caneel has good snorkeling also (we like Hawksnest-- both sides-- very much), but the ones I mentioned first are the easiest of access for non-"members."
There's a little shuttle that circles the property and drops folks off at the various beaches. Or it's a gorgeous walk from one beach to another. Not sure what the policy is for people not staying at the resort, but you might be able to ask for a day pass. (Or you could just pretend you're a paying guest and use the facilities freely if you're into that sort of thing.) (We did that one time and felt like real low-life for "cheating.&quot
In short, I think you should not miss snorkeling Caneel. Have fun!
Old Apr 20th, 2008, 07:07 AM

I take the trail to Honeymoon Beach all the time.The snorkeling to the left as you look to the water is excellent. To the right and around the point is fun, not quite as spectacular. Hawksnest , off a boat, as I was not "a member" was also good, lots of turtles.
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 05:31 AM

loved snorkeling at honeymoon, yes the snorkel boats come by but there is plenty of room for all. you can drive in and park and walk to honeymoon from the parking area (off to the left from the enterance)
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 08:20 AM

Izzybirdy seems to have said the magic word. Based on my 7-8 visits to Caneel you had to be a Caneel guest or on a paying day trip to the resort to come on the property, besides the restaurants, and snorkel off the 7 beaches. We have not been there since 2005, maybe things have changed.
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

justme, is Honeymoon the beach that I remember with a tiny gravel parking lot inside an older metal gate?
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 11:15 AM

we parked in a paved area, no gate, we walked up a paved pathway for about 5 minutes (again towards the left) passing hotel rooms on the right side of the path that is used for maitenance carts. also pathway to spa too (i think) ... the person in the gate house will direct you if asked, the beach is public so they have to allow access.
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 01:16 PM

I could be mistaken (but don't believe so) that beaches are public only to the high water "line." One thing I'm absolutely positive about though: No resort (or private homeowner or whatever) need ever allow the public access through their property in order to get to a beach. Beaches (or at least to the high water mark) may be public; access to beaches are not public. One gets to beaches either by going to "public" or "park" beaches or by swimming in from a boat.
Or: by asking permission from owner. I do believe, by the way, that non-resort guests at Caneel are welcome to use that "main" beach. I'm not 100% sure-- but I think so.
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 01:18 PM

You're correct --- non-guests can use the main beach (but not the chairs).
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 08:59 AM

poss; you are correct, now that you mention it. But, you need to take a tour boat say from Cruz Bay to the waters off the beaches of Caneel.
In fact I think almost every island I have visted (~15) the beaches are public but access often a hassle but by no means impossible.
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 11:30 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I agree the snorkeling at Caneel Bay was great. Also, the lunch outside at the resort was also great. Why not make a day of it. We stayed there the whole day and it was one of our best.
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 04:24 PM

all i can say is that we just drove in thru the gate yes a person in there. parked in the lot to the left and walked to the left and onto the beach. we might have signed in as day guests, i do not recall but it didn't cost anything and no one stopped us from parking, taxis also parked there it is a visitor's lot. and i am guessing that the path way we used (which was paved on the portion we were on) must be the lind point trail.... we did this twice
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 09:14 AM

I think you may have been fortunate without at least a dining option.It would be embarrasi g to me to be asked to leave, personally.
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 05:28 PM

As far as I know, Honeymoon Beach is one of the few beaches within Caneel that is not for "guests" only. The main beach is also available , but I have never used it. It is perfectly "legal" and ok to drive or taxi to Caneel Resort, park in their lot, and hike on the dirt trail (there are signs) to Honeymoon. We have also eaten at the beachside cafe for lunch. It is public and very good. Once, I dropped my things off on the main beach , took the trail to Honeymoon , and snorkeled around back to the main beach.Honeymoon is definitely worth a visit....remember, to the left.
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 04:27 AM

found this on seestjohn.com website: concerning honeymoon beach

Easiest Walk
The Caneel Bay Resort provides public land access to Caneel and Honeymoon Beaches. Unlike the narrow forest trail that winds down a rocky hillside, the dirt road from the Caneel Bay parking lot is well-maintained and there are no hills to climb. On your way to the beach, you can enjoy the magnificent landscaping that borders the road.

This is the route we took, but i thought we walked on some paved paths, the dirtroad is likely hardpack so it maybe it seemed paved, but yes once directly behind the beach there was no paving.
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 10:07 AM

You may be correct or they could have changed the rules in the past 2 & 1/2 years since we were there last.
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 01:23 PM

In 2004-2006 we visited Caneel each year and were always able to access the main beach(no chairs, though). We also walked to Honeymoon via their road. We have also had lunch there and really loved dinner at The Equator,for a date night.

Smetz-we have never failed to see turtles snorkeling at Salt Pond Bay, in the center towards the mooring balls. Also rays, and lots of fish...
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 03:03 PM

wow. missed the turtles at salt pond! but still enjoyed that beach, even that walk!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -