Questions about Grand Cayman

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2003, 09:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're going to GC for the 1st time the beginning of Aug. (2 adults, 3 kids ages 6, 9 and 10). Our trip is not Sat. to Sat. so condos are out - any hotel recommendations - we're booked at the Comfort Inn but I read a remark about their beach being very narrow.

Do I need some kind of picture ID for the kids (I have birth certificates)?

Lastly, none of us are divers but we are planning to snorkel at the sandbar with the rays, but my husband also wants to snorkel from the shore - the "recommended" sites I found on the web look daunting with kids (20-100 yd. swims in depths of 15-40 ft.) and I'm concerned about currents, etc. Am I being overly protective? Are there areas for snorkeling from the shore that might be a little more kid (and mom) friendly?

Any other tips greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 04:26 AM

If a condo is out, then I would recommend the Westin ... it's on a very nice stretch of 7MB.

If I recall, there is good snorkeling at Smith's Cove just outside town ... you can snorkel right from the shore. It's also a nice spot to hang out for awile and have a picnic. Cemetary Reef is good, but is a bit of a swim offshore. The Governor's Reef (in front of the Governor's house next to the Westin) is not too far of a swim.

Definitely don't miss the stingray sandbar .... I highly recommend going on one of the smaller excursions (i.e., Capt Dexter or Capt Marvin) ... they will also stop at a reef for snorkeling.
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 12:46 PM

The difference in price between the Comfort Inn and the Westin is huge. Have you tried to get a condo but not Sat. to Sat. If they arent booked they might be willing to book it for less then a week its worth a try. But I have heard the CI is clean and reputable. The Treasure Island Hotel also has gotten some positive reviews.

As I understand the Comfort Inn isnt directly on the beach, but I could be mistaken. You have options though. Most of the beaches are easily accessible and I am sure if you walk alittle you will find a nicer beach. The beach at The Hyatt (where we stayed) was awesome.

Dont know about Childrens ID, sorry

You dont need to snorkel at the sandbar you will be able to stand, the water came up to my waist I am 5-4, your kids should be able to stand as well.
You can also take them on the Red Sail Ferry out of the Hyatt, or drive to Rum Point on the opposite side of the island from 7 Mile beach. It has some snorkeling from shore that isnt as exciting but the water is clear and we did see some fish and rays. There is also a nice beach and restaurants. Worth a trip but not on the weekend, its more crowded with locals

If there isnt any storm activity I wouldnt worry about currents. We floated on rafts all day and never floated away. But I would try to do the tours, I have heard great things about Capt. Dexter and I went with Bob Soto's. They where great. And honesty its the best bargain on the island. For $30 USD I was in an aquarium for a 1/2 day.
There is a book at Barnes and Noble on Diving and snorkeling Cayman, you might want to just check it out. We didnt have a car so we never really explored any other sites. Just the snorkel trip from the boat.
Are you bringing your own snorkel gear, you really should you'll use it the whole time. And if you have room in yur luggage I suggested bringing an inflatable or 2 (uninflated of course) in your luggage. We went in Aug. and with the humidity it was about 130 (no lie) we didnt do anything all day but sit in the water and it would've been great not to have to rent rafts for $12/per day.

Have a great time, just thinking about it makes me want to go back
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 12:56 PM

I am booked at the Villas of the Galeeon from a Thursday to Thursday and someone else we are traveling with is booked from Thursday to Monday.

I don't think you have to stay Sat to Sat
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 05:15 PM

We went to Grand Cayman last year and stayed at the Holiday Inn. It was very nice, reasonably priced, on a nice stretch of beach(across the street, actually), and you are able to snorkel right off shore--really great snorkeling there!. This island is a little high priced so it wouldn't hurt to pack a suitcase full of snacks. Check the local paper,too, as there is generally one restaurant that has free food at happy hour every night of the week. There were not a lot of activities on this island, but I would definitly recommend the snorkeling with stingrays trip. If you do go with the H-inn, register for their "frequent flyer" card before you get there, and you are often upgraded to an ocean view room at no charge upon arrival.. We did not even rent a car as there was a mini bus service that takes you up and down the main strip all day for next to nothing. My favorite meal was at a restaurant called Neptunes just down from the H-inn. Skip going to Hell..really. We didn't make it to the turtle farm, but I've since heard it's worth the trip. We did go to a little beach area across the main bay via ferry called rum point. It was fine, nothing special, but I would say the chairs were too few and the prices were too high. I felt extremely safe on this island, by the way, so it is a good choice for kids. Hope this helps some.
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 07:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the great feedback. I love this website - it's so helpful to get advice from people who've been there. This is not a trip we're likely to be able to duplicate anytime soon, so we definitely want to get it right the first time! Thanks again!