Cayman Islands, Discovery Point

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2003, 04:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello. We are planning our first trip to the Cayman Islands this June - we have 2 school age kids and wanted a place to relax on the beach and snorkel (nice and simple). Since budget is an issue we booked Treasure Island,only to find out what poor reviews it gets when searching for comments on the web. Now we are considering the quieter end of 7 mile beach - Discovery Point. Any comments? thanks!
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 05:05 AM

Don't know what you read about TI, but we have stayed there two times already and would definitely go back. Condos have recently been renovated and the pools are great. Love the beach and snorkeling is right off shore.
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 12:20 PM

We just got back from staying at the condos at Treasure Island with our school age kids. They loved it and so did we. They made friends at the pool and snorkeled off the beach. There are chaise lounges and a soft sandy beach until you enter the water. There is a great reef right there which makes the entrance a bit rocky. We wore swim shoes instead of fins-it was fun. There are restaurants and shops within walking distance of TI, the quieter end of 7 mile beach requires more driving.
Old Apr 12th, 2003, 05:02 AM

We are also heading to Grand Cayman in July. I booked thru Expedia and got a good deal with air and hotel staying at Treasure Island. I am also getting a bit concerned about TI...so many mixed reviews. I wish I would have gotten a condo now. We have one 10 year old boy. I am hoping he will want to learn to scuba dive when we are there. My husband dives. I will just snorkle. <BR>I did book Sting Ray city with Capt. Marvins for a half day. <BR>What else should I book now?<BR>Does anyone have experience booking with Expedia and trying to &quot;upgrade&quot; when you get to the hotel? <BR>Thanks for any advice.<BR>Cindy
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 12:08 AM

I have stayed at TI three times now and was very satisfied. It is the best value in GC in my opinion.<BR><BR>That being said the beach at Discovery Point is a great beach. Not as much coral as at TI and if you like to snorkel, Cemetery Reef is just north of you past Aqua Bay Club which is next door. But Discovery Point is going to cost a good bit more and a car is a must up there. However, I always rent a car anyway. GC has the least expensive automobile rentals of any island I have been to and it is a fun island to drive on and explore.