Search

Punta Cana Shopping?

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2004, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Punta Cana Shopping?

Has anyone done any serious shopping in the Punta Cana area? Are there any nice "Caribbean" stores like Little Switzerland or Columbian Emeralds in or near Punta Cana? I heard that Higuey, the next town over has shopping, but I'm afraid it's going to be more like locals selling T-shirts and straw hats, which I can probably get right outside my resort.

By the way, I'm staying at the Barcelo Bavaro Beach resort from May 22nd thru May 29th. I'd appreciate any information you can send my way. Thanks!
Old May 6th, 2004, 10:05 AM

Punta Cana is not a shoppers paradise..lol BUT they have the best coffee and we always bring back 10 pounds of bean and 151 proof rum. there is probably a Harrisons which sells Larimar (a turquoise colored stone only found in the D.R.) and amber..
Old May 6th, 2004, 10:05 AM

Forgot... if you can get to a supermarket they have the best cigars to bring back as gifts..
Old May 6th, 2004, 03:08 PM

Higuey is definately an adventure. The Supermercados have the best price on rum and cigars. The cigars you'll find on the beach are most likely counterfeit. Plaza Bavaro has shopping, but I found the salesmen there to be more aggressive than in Higuey. If you do make the trip into Higuey, go into the Basilica. It's breath-taking.l
Old May 6th, 2004, 03:30 PM

When I was in Punta Cana they had a day at the resort where people brought in there wares. Not sure if that is the kind of shopping you are seeking. There will more than likely be a your provided to Santo Domingo. You can shop there for several hours during the stop. It is a long ride, but if includes the history of DR. lunch and shopping.
Old May 6th, 2004, 07:09 PM

The ride to S.D. is very,very long...but if y ou decide to go the Mercado Modelo is no "Little Switzerland"..better y ou go to the supermercado.
Old May 7th, 2004, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone who responded, especially Parrotmom!

Just a couple of follow-up questions. What is a supermercado, is that like a shopping mall? And are they all over, even in Punta Cana? I don't think I'm going to trek to Santo Domingo but might go for Higuey. Does anyone know if it's worth the trip to Higuey for shopping?
Old May 7th, 2004, 10:24 AM

A Supermercado is a supermarket. You won't find any in Punta Cana. If you go into Higuey the bus will drop you off at the Basilica. If you go behind it you'll see a Barcelo Hotel and a little shopping plaza with a bank (you usually get the best exchange rates at the banks.) If you go down one of the back streets you'll see a big supermercado (ask someone and they'll point you in the right direction.) A half gallon of Brugal Extra Viejo Rum will cost you no more than $6 USD. Another place I shopped at was down on the other end of the city, near the bus station. There is a market down that way, but it is a pretty good hike from the Basilica. Whether or not Higuey is worth going to just for shopping is up to you, depends what you're shopping for. You will, however, experience the country's culture and lifestyle.
Old May 8th, 2004, 06:13 AM

Yes going into Santo Domingo is a long ride as I also mentioned. Perhaps 3.5 hr. as I recall one way. It is great if you are a histoy buff and not into just sitting all day at a resort. We can take that for maybe 3 or 4 days then need to get out and go someplace. Long ride or not we were more than happy to get out of the resort area for at least one day and really "see" this Island.
Old May 8th, 2004, 08:43 AM

The vendors that come into the resort don't have any bargains...they are working for somebody else...the same as the people on the beach (look at their shirts)... and their prices are much higher.. I did though get an interesting wooden belt for a dear friend..Parrot Mom is a committed shopper..lol Many, many years ago I brought home two mahogany rocking chairs from the Mercado and the next year four Moses baskets...The painting are probably done in Haiti and I swear are done by numbers..IF you do go into the Mercado Modelo...it is a mass of humanity.. watch your self.. the best buys will be items in mahogany (salad bowls).. At other spots we try to pay be credit card , especially at the supermarket) because you do get a better exchange rate especially with Visa.
Old May 8th, 2004, 08:45 AM

Forgot..you have to look carefully among the "stuff".. last trip to La Romana on the beach we found two beautiflly carved small trays in mahogany.ended up paying under $10.00 each. there is always deals in multiples..lol
Old May 11th, 2004, 04:45 AM

I am a resident here and have to warn you: if you want to buy real cigars, you wont find them in supermercados. Here at Punta Cana are two supermercados I can recommend: the Amalia at Cortecito and the Plaza Riviera. Amalia is more near to Barcelo Hotels. Wrong: the best exhange rates you dont get at the banks, the exchange houses are better.
Regarding Higuey: Ask for supermercado Higueyana, its behind the basilica and new. Have a nice vacation !
Old May 18th, 2004, 07:50 PM

you can visit the Domenico Cigar Manufactory for purchasing authentic premium cigars at punta cana. check www.domenicocigars.com/bav.html