Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

dominican vacation porta plata or punta canna?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 10:14 AM
dan the man

have spent last 2 vacations @ bahia principe in rio san juan .this winter am staying @ hodelpa tropical club in punta cana anybody stayed @this ai before? any suggestions as what to see ,sidetrips etc much appreciated tks

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 12:15 PM
moi

For side trips , I think Puerto Plata areas have more to offer,more of a real town , I've been there twice 10, 15 years ago so only remember some names ...Playa Grande , Sosua (cute little town ).Views from the beach are nice with hills , mountains...Now ,Punta Cana has great beaches ,the water , the sand are much nicer than Puerto Plata's , but there is not much to do out of the resorts -(nearby the area ,within 2 hours drive , no major towns that's worth seeing) Oh , another thing is that hotel-Hodelpa Resorts are on a stretch of very rough water for some reasons I'm not sure? cause those next door are just fine.Swimming at Hodelpa is like riding horse ! There other much nicer places to stay in Punta Cana.

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 12:52 PM
Diane

The following website can give you lots of resort reviews plus ideas for side trips:<BR>www.debbiesdominicantravel.com<BR><BR>Yo u will LOVE Punta Cana. Absolutely beautiful. As for side trips, there are many to take such as Bavaro Runners (or Outback Safari) where they take you in open backed jeeps through the countryside to see coffee plantations, sugar cane fields, rice paddies, a small town, etc. We had a blast! Over lunch, we stopped at a ranch for horseback riding in the mountains (really foothills). Wonderful day trip. You could also take a bus ride to La Romana and then out to either Saona Island or Catalina Island via a Catamaran....loads of fun and great snorkelling!!! As for a nearby town, there are two shopping plazas with restaurants, shops, bars, etc. The area in Punta Cana is being more developed over the last few years so there's more and more to do. Enjoy!!!

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 12:55 PM
ParrotMom

Having been to the D.R.three times and getting ready to book eighth I would definetely avoid Purta Platta....my least favorite.. Definetely check out Debbie's website..the best site for info on the D.R.

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 12:55 PM
Parrot Mom

Whoops..meant to say have been there seven times and will be booking our 8th and will be going to Punta Cana

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 02:09 PM
nina

Not for nothing, but why do people view rough water as a negative? I LOVE big waves and bodysurfing, and am very disappointed with calm ocean. Maybe it's because I grew up bodysurfing along the Cape Cod National Seashore, but give me waves any day, and the bigger the better!

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 08:39 AM
moi

To Nina -I like to go swimming or just frolicking in the ocean , so I don't like big waves that I can't even catch my breath !(I'm not a strong swimmer, talking about barely float , ok ? )I'd liked to save my tummy for good food &amp; drinks , not ocean water.If you like big waves - Playa Grande (East of Puerto Plata ) has huge waves and is a beautiful beach .Also in Punta Cana -(I've been there 5 times ) the north end beaches ( Arena Gorda )has some big waves too. The calmest beaches in Dominican Republic are in the South - La Romana , Bayahibe , Boca Chica...(been 3 times) Those areas also have more for side trips ,you're next door to the Capitol- history ,culture , shoppings ,night life...But I do LOVE Punta Cana ,just for... BEACH !

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 03:40 PM
claud58

I just returned from my first trip to the Punta Cana, and to the Dominican Republic for that matter. It was absolutely beautiful, and funfilled. It is also, at least in our experience, one of the best bargains available in the Caribbean. We realized almost all of Punta Cana's beautiful resorts (including Natura Park Resort, where we stayed), have great all-inclusive deals which are much more affordable than places such as Atlantis, or Puerto Rico. Still, the food, service, and activities were top-notch and the beaches were gorgeous. I can't wait to return next year!!

Old Dec 8th, 2002, 11:04 AM
cris

definitely punta cana over puerto plata! i wished i've taken my own advice, but instead, i went to puerto plata and though it wasn't disastreous, the staff at Jack Tar Village were beyond accommodating, fun and just super friendly; the beach was a huge disappointment. it just seemed dirty and my friends and i just couldn't get past it. thankfully, the pool was nice enough as well as the staff. but for future reference: pick Punta Cana (I've heard that the Bavaro Beach Resort is best).<BR><BR>Oh, one last thing, if you choose Puerto Plata after all, it will be worth your while if you take the scuba diving excursion. It's about $50 extra, but it was my most memorable experience there!<BR><BR>Good Luck and Happy Travels!