Punta Cana HELP

Old Feb 9th, 2005, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Punta Cana HELP

Okay, what's all this about people getting sick in DR lately? Is it bad enough for us not to go in March? Also, we have never been...we are five females 25-30 and want a relaxing time. We are aiming toward AI and thinking about the Barcelo Bavaro....any other suggestions? Any suggestions in general? Maybe another part of the caribbean? HELP!!! Thanks.
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 05:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
People can get sick anywhere. Just use common sense. DON'T drink the tap water. Most of the resorts are AI and there is bottled water everywhere. Even use it to brush your teeth. We had a great time in Punta Cana. For LOADS of info on Punta Cana go to www.debbiesdominicantravel.com
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 05:27 AM

Off to Punta Cana for the third time on Sunday.The reason people get sick is too many Pina Coladas (coconut is a laxative),, too many fruit based drinks and drinking the water.. This is our 10th time to the D.R. and have NEVER gotten sick...Check out Debbies Dominican...For more info write [email protected]
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 05:53 PM

We're leaving next week for Secrets Excellence-certainly plan on doing the bottled water thing but what about fruits & veggies? Our travel agent told us to stay away from raw stuff & the nurse who gave us the malaria pills said never eat anything that isn't hot-like if the coffee is lukewarm, return it and have them bring it back hot! Are these people paranoid or what? And is it ok to eat the shellfish?
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 04:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I ate salads and fruit and luke warm coffee and was never sick. Don't be paranoid, just be cautious. You will LOVE Secrets. Eat at Quisqueya (sp?), the restaurant off the lobby. It is by far the best restaurant there.
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 07:13 AM

FAITHO--We will be at the sister facility, Sunscape Beach starting the 13th... and I can guarantee that the people who run Secrets/Sunscape are very, very proud of their sanitation ratings. There is no problem with fruit or veggies....don't drink or use the tap water... you will find bottled water available everywhere.. I've even stopped bringing it down from our room and get it at the bar... Yes, it's okay to eat the shellfish and the beef which by the way (the beef) is imported from the US.. If your going Valentiens Day...maybe we'll see you at
Secrets at the restaurant recommended just above...you can visit between the two resorts.. BTW don't forget to buy Santo Domingo coffee (not from the vendors) to bring home...beans.. is what we get at the supermercado... If you see a woman with purple sunglasses and possibly a purple hat...say hello.. Are you going from Boston? [email protected]
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 07:33 PM

You guys are just terrific! Thanks for easing my mind. Can't wait to taste that lobster! ParrotMom, what made you ask the question about Boston? You can't hear my accent through these postings, can you?? I live in Minnesota now but lived most of my life in Boston. And you? Funny you mentioned the coffee beans because we used to be wholesale coffee roasters and are always looking for new and interesting beans. We'll definitely pick up those Santo Domingo beans. Not leaving until Feb 19 so we'll miss seeing you.
BTW, if there's a trip to Spain in your future plans, let me know. I have tons of information collected from this site and more from our recent trip last May.
Thanks again, everyone.
Old Feb 12th, 2005, 04:50 AM

FaithO...sorry we are going to miss you. We will be at the resort until the a.m. of the 20th.. Since the cab drivers are absolute bandits I don't know how I'm going to get to a supermercado...but when you go...don't forget to buy Puro Vanilla.(pure vanlla)..and now I've heard their cinnamon is great, also Brugal 151 proof rum.. The neighbor who is going to do our snowblowing doesn't want $$ but the coffee. I'm sure there are more premium grades, but for under $2.00 a bag (I'll ask my rep what is the best brand) I'm going to be bringing back if I can 20 pounds..lol If you need more info within the next few hours write.. [email protected]
Old Feb 12th, 2005, 07:15 AM

If y ou see somebody with big purple sun glasses say hello
Old Feb 13th, 2005, 08:21 AM

Have been to Punta Cana 4 times and La Romana once, and never had any sickness. Follow the advise about the water is our only suggestion. We have always stayed at an Iberostar, but have chosen Sunscape Case Del Mar this time. Hope we won't be disappointed, but had to wait to book very late and couldn't get into an Iberostar. Oh well, my husband and I both believe that as long as its sunny, there is sand and surf and plenty of time spent together, all vacations are great!! Just roll with the custom of the island and don't look for reasons to complain. Be happy!!
Old Feb 13th, 2005, 04:33 PM

Prising - thanks for your words of wisdom. You're right. Between my husband, the sun, the surf and the sand I've got a great combo.

Hope you have a great time on your trip as well!!
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 02:46 PM

I just got back from the DR on Saturday, stayed at Breezes. There were 27 of us there for a wedding and only 1 person got sick. Too much eating, drinking or sun. It's hard to say. The best advice that I got is that if it doesn't taste good to your palate don't eat it. If it looks like it has been sitting there for a while, don't eat it. We really enjoyed our trip. And for the record, 7 days, 0 mosquito sittings. Have fun!
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 08:25 PM

Just beware if you stray out of the hotel, dont drink or drink things you cant trust. Tap water is not drinkable even to Dominicans themselves.
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 08:37 PM

Thanks for the words of encouragement and the great mosquito count (or lack thereof). I guess we're all set with two tubes of Deet cream and one can of spray! I'll be thrilled not to have to use that stuff!
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the help!! We are still trying to book...we found some good deals. We can't wait. We are going to want to take a day to go to Santo Domingo...how would you suggest we travel there and is it worth the trip? Thanks Jeneen
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 07:55 PM

I need advise on the current Malaria scare in D.R. The CDC has issued a warning for a recent outbreak (including Punta Cana resorts) and suggests malaria pills before travel there. However, it seems the number of cases is dwindling. Does anyone have the most recent suggestions from their travel agents? I know the CDC is overly precautious.
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 10:45 PM

Three weeks ago we got the call from our travel agent but why worry so we got the pills - no big deal - one a week for seven weeks. We had no reaction to the first two doses. Then again our agent also was extremely cautious about what food to eat, etc and the folks on this forum feel she was overzealous. Gotta go with what feels right for you.
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 02:40 PM

I have friends through there time share program were scheduled to visit here in March. I had told them about the cdc.gov page, what I had read. I was hesitant to do so, but they are older. One in remission of cancer, one diabetic, 60'70's. They called there Dr.he sent them to a travel advisory place for foreign travel. They said the medicine would be $170 per person, that all of DR had Malaria, that the medicine had bad side effects, and they recommended hepatitas also. Needless to say they have canceled. I felt bad but the good news is they are going to Aruba instead the same time frame. So it all ended up well. I went there many years ago and I had no problems. A travel agent at the time advised strongly against eating sea food. I believe the theory was based on the coral the fish eat is poisonous. I think for an older person it was best they not chance it. Not that anyone wants to be sick, but with so many other places to visit, why chance it? They are elated with the Aruba idea, more expensive air but safer in the long run.
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 07:47 PM

Wow, diann, this really saddens me that the tourist industry is becoming so affected by the malaria scare. I went to Punta Cana for the first time last August and I loved it. You do have to take precautions with the water there and it is not the safest place in the world, but it was worth it. The ride from the airport scared me a bit- very very poor areas you go through. But, once I got to the resort and met the people there (the staff) I really loved the country. I honestly hope that something like this does not have a lasting effect. I do understand why seniors, especially in bad health would change their plans. But, I don't like to see others do so just because of small (it really is) outbreak of malaria. If it were me, I would go and not take the pills. There are side affects and Malaria is only deadly if it is not treated. I am just stating what I would under the current circumstances, not that others should do the same.
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 11:51 AM

I'm a 26yo female traveling w/other female friends, ages 25-32. We have narrowed our hotels down to Barcelo Bavaro Palace or Ocean Blue. Both seem to be the best place for singles in Punta Cana.

Anyone have a preference of which we should pick?