Iberostar Bavaro -Punta Cana Need Advice

Old May 9th, 2010, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Iberostar Bavaro -Punta Cana Need Advice

My wife and I have decided to take the plunge and stay at our first All Inclusive with
our three teenage daughters.

We will be staying at the Iberostar Bavaro in Punta Cana From June 26th
to July 3rd.
I have read many of the reviews on Trip Advisor but I would love any tips about the
staff , the food, the facilities, etc from Fodorites who have stayed there.

Some advice I have gleaned from Trip Advisor is that the walkways are incredibly
slippery when wet. Also bring lots of Mosquito repellant for evenings.

Does any of the staff speak some English? How hard is it to order a drink at the bar
or on the beach?

Is it true to always use bottled water for everything including brushing your teeth?
How can you enjoy a Pina Colada or a daquiri if the ice used in it is not from bottled
water?

Is it true that the restaurants such as the steak house and the Japanese are really
the same food as the buffets only it is more quiet and you have an individual
server?

Thanks in advance for any and all tips!
Mark
Old May 10th, 2010, 12:51 AM

I can't reply to your questions about the Iberostar but have stayed in Punta Cana many times and can tell you to use bottled water to brush your teeth...put the bottle beside the sink so you don't forget...you can order drinks at the bars as the staff speak a little english at most resorts and you will quickly learn a little spanish....the ice is made with treated water not tap water.
Old May 10th, 2010, 03:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
THe resort has a water filtration system for their ice and water in their restaurants, etc.
Use the bottled water for everything else.
The ala carte restaurants do not just have the same food as the buffets. The buffet may wind up with the left overs fro teh ala cartes though!
You will not have problems ordering anything. The staff that deal with the guests speak enough English o get you anything you want.
I have stayed at Iberostars in Mexico and loved it. I have stayed in Punta Cana at another resort which was wonderful, but I still prefer Mexico the DR.
Old May 14th, 2010, 06:59 PM

Sounds like you read my recent review of Iberostar. So Schmerl is right, don't worry about talking to the staff, their English is sufficient - some of the busboys are not fluent but they will usually get someone who speaks better English. The water filtration allows you not to worry about the water as long as you don't drink tap. And I don't care what they say - the a la carte restaurant food quality is about the same as the buffet, though it may not be exact same thing. We did have little tartlets with smoked fish, for ex, at the Mediterranean place which are not at the buffet but it is not anything outstanding. The buffets all have a steak station where they grill a steak to order which is not much different from the steak restaurant. It is still nice to to go to one or two but don't be upset if it does not work out. You are not missing on some gourmet dining experience! Overall, it's loads of fun - enjoy!!