"Private" island feel accomodations

Nov 14th, 2006, 06:21 PM
Original Poster

"Private" island feel accomodations

I found the perfect place to stay - a small island off of Belize. Only 5 cabanas, right on the beach. Beatiful. The only issue is airfare is high and no frequent flier to Belize. Can anyone recommend a hotel that is:
1. small
2. on the beach
3. $200-$300 per night

Any islands, but not the really commercialized ones (not interested in Aruba). Also, hopefully not so remote so we can use some miles to get there!

Thanks!!!
Nov 15th, 2006, 01:20 AM

At what time of year? Jost Van Dyke comes to mind in the BVI's.
Nov 15th, 2006, 03:04 AM

Just got back from Cat Island in the Bahamas. We stay at Fernandez Bay Village, which is a small hotel on a stunning beach about a mile long. One of their cottages in particular, Shane Shack, is a stand-alone octagonal stone cottage with thatched roof and garden bath right on the sand. Rustic, but very adequate. About $250/night.

If Fernandez Bay is a bit more than you want to pay, look into Sammy T's, also on Cat Island, on the beach, and with individual cottages. I haven't stayed there, but have visited, and it looks lovely. The proprietor is delightful.

If you have miles on Continental, Delta or United, you can fly all the way through to Cat Island (TBI) using Continental Connection/Gulfstream for the last leg (FLL-TBI). Or, you can use miles to get as far as Nassau and then go with Cat Island Air to TBI ($150 round trip).

I have been to Belize and loved it, but the beaches aren't great. The beaches in the Out Islands of the Bahamas are incomparable. If Cat Island seems a bit remote, there are other, somewhat more traveled, islands in the Bahamas that offer similar low-key accomodations but a touch more action (see, e.g. Abacos, Harbour Island, etc.)

Keep in mind that the Bahamas are not an optimal location in the dead of winter, as they are prone to the same cold fronts that hit Florida.
Nov 15th, 2006, 03:37 AM

Mahajuitas not far from Puerto Vallarta which usually has lots of flights. Take a look at it on I think A different World? or just do a google search.
Nov 15th, 2006, 03:40 AM

Also check Panama...we have lots of flights, I'm not sure where you are flying from of course. Hacienda del Mar is on one of the Pearl Islands, tiny hotel on an island very close to Panama City where the International flights arrive.
Nov 15th, 2006, 05:26 AM

I am planning a trip to Emerald Palm Resort on Andros Island, Bahamas. It is the largest of the Bahamian islands with some of the best snorkeling in the Caribbean/Bahamas and fishing but not much else. The resort is not 5 cottages but has less than 100 guests as I ubderstand it when full but if you go in late April/early May I hear it is not full. The cost is ~$600/night for 2 with 3 meals/beverages(but it is not really an all-inclusive)in the best accommodations (Beach Front Cottage) and goes down to ~$500 for least expensive rooms. All units have A/C.The airfare from NY via Nassau is about $350RT and a bit more from either Ft. Lauderdale or Miami,I believe.Miles on a number of airlines will get you to Nassau or FL then the trip to Andros from Nassau under 1.2 hr.is ~$130RT/person on West Air/Bahamasair.
Nov 15th, 2006, 10:42 AM

Are you aware that most of the beaches in Belize/Honduras have seagrass right to the shore? There's a reason places are touristy and popular.
Nov 17th, 2006, 08:25 AM

Two suggestions:
1. Anegada. If you would like that island in Belize (we saw some like it while in Belize this year - they looked awesome), I think you would really like Anegada. If I can find them, I will bump up a couple reviews for you).

The island is unique and a blast. Only about 100 people live on it. Trust me, you will come home with stories to tell your friends that they would not experience at commercialized islands.

We stayed at the Anegada Reef Hotel, sits on the beach but no snorkeling in front of it. There is a place at Cows Wreck that sits on a nice beach with snorkeling. There are also a few other places. Don't know the price of any. For info on ARHotel goto http://www.anegadareef.com/

2 Don't rule out Grand Cayman until you check out the Sea Lodges in the Cayman Kai area. This area is off the beaten path of tourism. We usually have the beach to ourselves, fantastic snorkeling right off the beach. The good thing about GC - it's easy to get to and you can use your FF miles.

Check out: http://www.sealodgical.com/ and http://www.caymanhaven.com/#reservations

Nov 17th, 2006, 08:28 AM

OOps, forgot to mention. You fly into St. Thomas so it is easy access and surely you can use your miles. Then you take a smaller plane to Anegada. Can't remember how much the smaller plane was but it was not real high.

Rent a car at least for a couple days in Anegada so you can explore. It's a tiny island but fun to check out.