Tortola or Anegada

May 11th, 2006, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

Tortola or Anegada

Could someone help me choose between these two?
May 11th, 2006, 10:35 AM

While both of these islands are part ofo the BVI, they are quite different from each other. Without knowing more about your vacation style, your budget, and your desires, it will be difficult to advise you. Give us some more details, please.
May 11th, 2006, 11:04 AM

Wow, all the Virgin Islands are different but you picked two which are pretty diametrically opposed.

Anegada: FLAT (name means the "drowned land.") Low population in the hundreds. Only 2 real hotel/inns. Not too big. Remote and not very easy to get to.

Tortola: HILLY Largest of the BVI's and has the bulk of government and business buildings. Higher population in the thousands. Good number of hotels/inns and resorts. ATM's, supermarkets and other such conveniences. Is the transportation hub for the BVI's.

Curious as to how you narrowed it down to these two islands?
May 11th, 2006, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

I was looking at tortola and also out islands, the more unique the better for us, so the out island of anegada, especially some of the private villas caught our eye
May 11th, 2006, 11:58 AM

I'd suggest you take a look at either Jost Van Dyke (small, simple hotels, nice beaches, good beach bars) or Virgin Gorda (also hilly like Tortola but nice villas and hotels, good beaches, including an excellent and unique one at The Baths and Spring Bay). The reason I suggest these over Anegada is that they are both reachable by ferries rather than flights. Just my two cents.
May 11th, 2006, 12:31 PM

Tux summed up the two islands very well. Just to add to her post, Anegada is very remote and very quiet--you really would have to be the source of your own entertainment. If, however, you crave privacy, long stretch of secluded beach, and snorkeling combined with a laid back atmosphere, it could fit you perfectly. Anegada Reef Hotel is right on the beach and is very reasonably priced, and not at all luxurious. As far as villas go, Loblolly is the only one I'm slightly familiar with, and it wasn't expecially luxe, either, but more upscale than the hotel.

Tortola, on the other hand, has some extremely nice villas. For that matter, so does Virgin Gorda. Both Tortola and VG have the hilly landscape, with VG being slightly more arid, and Tortola providing more in terms of nightlife, restaurants, etc.

From either Tortola or VG you can take daytrips to Anegada. Or just about anyplace else in the BVI for that matter. If you want to explore more than one island, Tortola or VG would make a better homebase.
May 11th, 2006, 02:18 PM
Cvechko

If you like unique, you will like Anegada.

We spent a week there last winter (2005) and loved it. We came back with unusual stories to tell our friends.

Anegada is a remote barren island that will offer you a unique experience you will not find at other Carribbean Islands. If you want relaxation and just want to lay back - it is THE place to go. (There is some exploring but you won't find tours, etc - except bone fishing). Wild long horned cows roam the island. It took us three days to figure out where the grocery store in town was at - no sign on it, etc.

We rented a jeep & explored the small island - it was very interesting. There are some nice beaches & decent snorkeling off the beach. But, if you are going in winter - watch out for the riptides at one of the beaches.

There is nothing fancy about the Anegada Reef Hotel but it is clean, safe, has awesome food, and friendly people. Every night boats dock there to eat. It is fun to sit at the outdoor bar & get to know people from all over the world. To get to the hotel website, goto http://www.anegadareef.com/.

Take books - there is a library but no where to buy a book.

We like to go to unique places so this was one of our favorite trips.

Nov 17th, 2006, 08:30 AM

Bump for ErnieH