Overwhelmed--help!!

Aug 23rd, 2002, 08:52 AM
E.J.

Overwhelmed--help!!

My friends and I, all in our early-mid twenties, are planning a trip to the Caribbean sometime next summer and are very overwhelmed by our options. I would love to hear from an experienced Caribbean travller on which island would be most appropriate with these conditions:

1. Cheaper is (much) better
2. Exciting nightlife a must
3. The majority of tourists are in their 20s

Thank you! Please let me know if I can be more specific.

Aug 23rd, 2002, 08:53 AM
Tanya

Cancun.

Aug 23rd, 2002, 08:59 AM
E.J.

Thanks, Tanya. But is Cancun nuts in the summer? I know a lot of college spring breakers go in March/April and we want to avoid that type of crowd.

Aug 23rd, 2002, 09:21 AM
tivertonhouse

Negril -- go to jamaicans.com and the 'westside wanderings' forum for info and queries. Tensing Pen,CocoLaPalm--lots of options at every price point.July through Sept you'll also want air conditioning...

Aug 23rd, 2002, 09:30 AM
Joe

Cancun is really your only option based on your cheap criteria.....party atmosphere and young crowd.

The Dominican Republic is also reasonably priced - and certain areas have night life.

Many Canadian college students and young people go to Cuba because it is cheap - but that option is a problem for American travelers.

You said you wanted to go in the summer - why then are college students in March and April a problem?

There really is no other island that meets your criteria. Most of the islands are fairly expensive and the average visitor is looking for R&R.

Aug 23rd, 2002, 11:33 AM
deedles

Go on a cruise....best choice ever.

Aug 23rd, 2002, 11:39 AM
Sandy

Look into "Time Out at the Gap" in Barbados--sounds perfect especially if you like to party! Plenty of activities in Barbados and places to see including the Jolly Roger cruise, surfing at Bathsheba etc.
Other option would be a Carnival cruise or a large villa in St. John USVI--see St. Barth Properties online.

Aug 24th, 2002, 04:27 AM
Coconut

EJ - Even though Cancun is party-central, you could go to Playa Del Carmen (very close to Cancun and Cozumel), or there is an island right near there called Isla Mujeres that is supposed to be very quiet and inexpensive. It is just beautiful down there, gorgeous beaches and water (I've never seen water the color that I saw there), lots to see, and much more inexpensive than many of the Caribbean islands. Plus, you'd be in a quieter area, but Cancun and Cozumel are definitely close by to go to when you do want to party.

If you get tired of the beach thing, you can take day trips to ancient ruins (Tulum is within 1 1/2 hours).

Aug 24th, 2002, 05:52 AM
MM

Sandy,
Did you even look at EJ's criteria? St Barth's. It's not cheap, there is not what I'd call "exciting" nightlife ( a plus in my opinion) and the majority of tourists are definitley over 30.
The same things go for St John. EJ these are lousy suggestions for you.
I'd definitely suggest Mexico. Coconut's suggestion of Isla Mujeres is excellent. The accomodations are very affordable and the nightlife of Cancun is close by. In the summer you'll have mostly people in their mid-20's to early 30's not hordes of college kids.
Whatever you decide, enjoy!!

Aug 24th, 2002, 12:04 PM
E.J.

Thanks everyone! Excellent variety of info. to consider. Let me throw another destination on the table (I just spent an hour and Barnes & Noble looking at guide books)--what about Puerto Rico?

Aug 25th, 2002, 07:12 AM
Lara

I think Margarita Island off the coast of Venezuela has what you are looking for. Inexpensive, good beaches, lots of friendly young people and quite the party scene.

Aug 25th, 2002, 10:13 AM
Ronnie

You should be able to find low rates in Puerto Rico, as well as night clubs and young people!
Ronnie