Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

When do the drunken College Spring Breakers arrive in Cancun?

Old Feb 11th, 2010, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We got a great price for a package tour to Cancun. We are arriving on March 3rd and returning on March 8th. I told a friend about it and they said watch out for the Spring Break Crowd in Cancun starting in March. My mind instantly went to the drunken scenes of Spring Breakers on MTV causing hell to the Hotel Operators and running up and down the street yelling and screaming.

Did I make a terrible mistake. We are two middle aged people and want a relaxing vacation away from the snow and cold not a lot of yelling screaming and public drunks!
Old Feb 11th, 2010, 12:09 PM

Yes, March is the month, but the break varies from college to college. Both my kids are in college, 1 has the 1st week and the other has the last. I know other kids with the in-between weeks.

We once went to Cancun in March. Yes it was loaded with the spring breakers, but they tend to hang out at spring-breaker friendly hotels and bars which we didn't. We were with young kids and at a resort that was geared more toward adults (and some families). We didn't go to bars or clubs. We did do a trip to Isla to go snorkelling and there were some rowdy spring breakers on the boat, but it was more amusing than anything.
Old Feb 11th, 2010, 03:35 PM

We too are arriving on March 3rd into Cancun. We will be the other middle aged couple waiting in line at immigration amongst the bikini clad crowd.
Old Feb 11th, 2010, 04:09 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I think it completely depends if the resort/hotel you chose is one that is favored by spring breakers. Where are you going to stay?
Old Feb 11th, 2010, 04:09 PM

We'll be there as well, from the 6th to the 13th. But a lot will depend also where you are staying. If you're more in Riviera Maya vs Cancun itself (the hotel zone) I don't think you'll have much issues with spring breakers anyway. Many of those hotels even have policies against booking to spring breakers. I do think the first week of March is fairly early for most Spring Breaks...fingers crossed
Old Feb 12th, 2010, 07:59 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
It's the comment "great price" that makes me worried a little for you. Those kinds of packages are also what appeal to students. I think by staying at higher-end places, and non-AI, is how to best avoid the kids gone wild.
Old Feb 12th, 2010, 11:38 AM
KVR

I agree that it really depends on what hotel you chose. There are some that are geared to Spring Breakers like the Oasis Cancun. The higher end AI's, adults only AI's and non-AI hotels will be the better choice.

We are early 40's/mid 50's and we went the 3rd week of April in 2008 and didn't encounter any Spring Breakers. We chose a low budget AI; the Oasis Viva and it was full of families/kids. It was very crowded. Though we enjoyed the beach and the location, we wouldn't stay there again.

We went to several bars/resturants and did the bar hopping tour. Every place was packed, but we didn't find it rowdy or inappropriate. I would go again in April (since it's my birthday month), but would chose a higher end, adult's only hotel next time.