Going to Cancun in mid March-Spring Break Madness?

Nov 2nd, 2002, 12:51 PM
doc

Going to Cancun in mid March-Spring Break Madness?

My wife and I are planning a trip to the Ritz Carlton Cancun in March. I hear the area is becoming a mecca for spring break revelry. I would think there's plenty of room on the island for everyone. However, I don't want to be around crazed, drunken teens and college students all week. Anyone been there during March and have any advice? This may be a problem wherever we go during that time

Nov 3rd, 2002, 12:45 PM
xxx

I agree! Don't do it! Stay south of Cancun - near Playa del Carmen. The area is being referred to as the Mayan Riviera and there are tons of nice adult only resorts. Even those not designated as adults only will not have the insane atmosphere of Cancun!

Nov 4th, 2002, 06:48 AM
alice

First, I wouldn't say it is "becoming" a mecca for spring break revelry - it has been that way for many years. That being said, very few spring breakers could afford the Ritz and most likely the Ritz has a "No Spring Breakers" policy, as do many of the better hotels. Spring Break packages tend to be aimed at certain hotels. Unless you are planning on hanging out on the street or at places like Carlos & Charlies, you should be fine. I went to Acapulco during Spring Break time 2 years ago and while the clubs there were wilder than any of the clubs in Cancun, while dining at the nicer restaurants, you wouldn't even know it was spring break. As you said, there's plenty of room for everyone. And in my opinion, the Ritz in Cancun is hands down nicer than any AI in the Mayan Riviera. Be prepared for the airport to be crowded and some rowdiness on the street and you will have a great time.

Nov 4th, 2002, 02:15 PM
Dori

I totally agree with Alice. You will not see a single spring breaker at the Ritz. I can guarantee it. It doesn't sound like you will be eating at the all you can eat and drink places either. Go and have a great time.

Nov 6th, 2002, 09:13 AM
Marj

We've been through this. When we arrived, with our 2 young kids, we were transported to our hotel on a bus full of spring breakers. We were the oldest by at least 20 yrs. The good part is, they tend to stay at a handful of the less-expensive hotels. Our hotel was AI so we never had to venture out for a meal. I would imagine that the breakers would gravitate to the cheaper eating and drinking places. We did take an excursion which included some spring breakers and it was a bit rowdy for our tastes (it was to Isla Mujeres). The rest of our trip, we were not at all affected by their presence. The following year we stayed in PDC, there were there was no spring breakers from what I can tell, in fact, there was a nice mix of Americans, Canadians and Europeans. We haven't been in years but are returning this February, this time to PDC area again.

Search this Thread