One Night in St Thomas

Old Apr 11th, 2003, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One Night in St Thomas

We are going to be in St John for a week (thanks to all the posters for the good information), but we will have one night in St Thomas before we depart. I am looking for a hotel suggestion that would be close to shopping and convienant to the airport. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 10:16 AM
cdt

Holiday Inn is close to shopping, ferry, airport. No beach.

More upscale: Marriott (Frenchman's Reef).

Nice beach adjacent to airport: Best Western Emerald Beach.
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 11:37 AM

Frenchman's Reef has its own little ferry that brings you across and leaves you right in the center of all the Charlotte Amalie shopping! Further from the airport, but very nice.
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 05:26 PM

2 Best Westerns close to airport - Emerald Beach Resort and Caribe Beach Resort. They are across the bay from each other at Lindbergh Bay. Neither is close to shopping altho town is just a short cab ride away. Emerald Beach is probably nicer, definitely a better beach, Caribe is not my definition of a "resort" but is just 2 blocks from the airport - you could walk - it's uphill from the airport but not bad. It was clean and had an included cold continental breakfast. In fact a cab from the airport to the Caribe is $3-5 dependent on the driver, but is literally 2 blocks. The Emerald is also walkable - probably closer to half a mile but a level, pretty walk along the bay and if I had to do it again, I'd consider the Emerald, altho the Caribe was less than $100.

Cab fares are supposed to be standardized and posted, but most drivers crank them up some - along the explanation is usually $1 a bag extra charge, or a extra charge to pick you up at a hotel. Can find cab fares online at
http://www.st-thomas.com/week/taxi.html
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 06:04 PM

if you use the fares at the site Tigerhawk posted, you'll be surprised to find that the taxi fares have gone up a year or more ago from what is listed there. There is also a charge for extra baggage beyond the customary one. For up-to-date informaton you can go to www.vinow.com or www.usvi-on-line.com.