Nightlife

Apr 29th, 2002, 04:28 PM
K. W.

Nightlife

I will be staying at Jalousie Hilton in a couple months and was wondering if they ever have any kind of nightlife? Any steel bands? Also, how long of a drive is Castries? And is the beach and water nice at Jalousie? I appreciate any general advice on the hotel as well.

Apr 30th, 2002, 07:26 AM
kdr

As for nightlife, the resort does have several weekly parties with music and entertainment. But, you really must go to the Bang Between the Pitons which is a bar/restaurant just next to the Jalouise (walking distance) They have a weekly party night--great local food and music.
I would not recommend driving to Castries, although I don't know how long the drive is. We took a boat trip to Castries arranged by the hotel--it was a lovely ride with plenty of time to shop, eat, and walk around the town.
As for general advice, the food at the Jalouise is just so-so and quite expensive-I would recommend trying some of the restaurants in Soufrie (sp?). I would also recommend dinner at Dasheen at Ladera--good food and amazing view at sunset. We also stocked our little fridge with snacks and colas so we could save a little.
And finally, we loved the the rain forest safari/hike set up through the Jalouise. It was wonderful. We also enjoyed a sunset cruise, and a car tour of the fishing village/volcano (kind of weak) and gardens.
Have fun!

Apr 30th, 2002, 07:35 AM
linda

Don't miss the jump-up party on Fridays at Gros Islet! They don't mind tourists, LOL.There is all sorts of food and music and it gets fairly wild, but it's really fun.

Apr 30th, 2002, 08:21 AM
Nancy

Hi KW,
Agree with the post on the Gros Islet jump up - a must do - but not for the timid or uptight. Have fun and don't worry. The music is kickin'. Last time I was there, they had great barbecued chicken too.
Castries is a very long road trip and not really one of the traditionally picturesque towns. There is a neat market there and some shopping at Seraphine, but that's about it. Also, be very careful about what parts of town you head to - recommend a tour if you want to see town.
Most of the hotels have steel bands at least once a week. Also, at almost every hotel I have ever stayed in, the wait staff is more than helpful to tell you where there are parties or music to be heard.
The town of Soufriere is close by - it's also a possibility for food/music.
There is good diving and snorkeling around the Jalousie. The beach is very nice also, but not the brilliant blue color you see in some of the pictures of the Caribbean due to the volcanic nature of the island and dark sand.
Have a great time!

Apr 30th, 2002, 10:03 AM
Ted

I do NOT recommend the Friday night Jump-up party. You will be harrassed by young males selling every drug under the sun, and they love to get close with your girlfriend or wife. We had a group of about 12 of us, and were horrified. We were lucky enough to be accompanied by a couple locals we met on a dive boat, and they were a huge help in keeping the harrassment to a minimum. If you are not accompanied by a local, I wish you luck. By the way, good luck trying to find a place to go to the bathroom. And trust me, you won't want to lose sight of your spouse here. I can't believe they recommend this place to tourists. If you didn't think you were in danger here, you are being totally nieve.

Apr 30th, 2002, 10:13 AM
Nancy

Ted, It's "naive."
I've traveled extensively in the Caribbean for 10+ years and would NEVER recommend a place or activity to someone I thought was not safe.
As I mentioned to KW, the jump up is NOT for the uptight.
If you are not into local culture and music - skip it. You can always just sit around in your hotel and watch cable TV.

Apr 30th, 2002, 11:15 AM
pati

Is Bang a good nightlife spot every night or just the night they have the party (Wednesday)?

Apr 30th, 2002, 11:22 AM
mary

I'm not uptight whatsoever but I too did not like the jump up. I was really psyched to go beforehand so it was a huge disappointment. A bit scary when we went.

Two more sights in Castries is the Caravelle Batik Factory and Eudovic's Wood Carving Shop. Can see arts in the making and shop too. But it was either Sat. or Sun. or both where they weren't making any batik, you could only shop.

Probably the best and quickest way to Castries would be by water taxi. Should cost about the same as a "road" taxi. I'd recommend it, if not just to get a taste of the north part of the island. Much different than the south.

I actually prefer the north over the south (but I think I'm the only one on this board).

Search this Thread