Going to Jalousie in 3 weeks

May 23rd, 2002, 04:38 AM
Jill

Going to Jalousie in 3 weeks

My husband and I will be leaving for Jalousie in 3 weeks and wanted to know if anyone had any last minute thoughts on places to eat, day trips to take and overall recommendations for rooms to stay in at the hotel. Also, since we didnt choose the AI plan, can anyone give me an idea of the daily costs for food? Thank you!

May 23rd, 2002, 04:45 AM
kdr

My husband and I honeymooned at Jalousie in January 2000 and had a wonderful time. I think the Jalousie is great.

We also did not go with the all-inclusive, and I am glad we didn't. The food at the hotel is expensive, and not that great. Two years ago the breakfast buffet was $15 a person--I imagine it is more now. We really wanted more of a local flavor, and I would recommend exploring restaurants in Soufrie (sp?). I would also recommend dinner at Dasheen at Ladera--good food and an amazing view at sunset (but expensive). We also stocked our little fridge with snacks and colas so we could save a little for the expensive meals.

Also, I would highly recommend having dinner at the Bang Between the Pitons which is a bar/restaurant just next to the Jalouise (walking distance) They have a weekly party night--great local food and music. The party night costs more because of the entertainment, but still not expensive.

And finally, we loved the the rain forest safari/hike set up through the Jalouise. It was wonderful. We also enjoyed a sunset cruise, a boat right to Castries, and a car tour of the fishing village/volcano and gardens. The volcano isn't that exciting but the gardens are beautiful.

Have fun!

May 23rd, 2002, 05:03 AM
Mary

We just returned from Jalousie about 3 weeks ago. It was wonderful. For restaurants, I would recommend Stonefield Estates (a $20 cab ride round trip). It has an incredible view, the food is good, and we were the only couple there! The deserts are fabulous. I would also recommend the Old Courthouse in Soufriere. We ate lunch once at Anse Chastanet---very good. Lunch at the Hilton cost about $30 for the 2 of us. For trips, I would also recommend the all day sailing trip to Marigot Bay. Lots of fun, only 2 or 3 other people on the boat with you, and a great way to see the coast. Have a fantastic time!

May 23rd, 2002, 08:40 AM
mandi

Again,

The jello was excellent.

May 23rd, 2002, 08:58 AM
Jill

The jello...huh? They must make that on the islnad themsleves! Thnaks for the great tip Big Belly!

May 24th, 2002, 09:40 AM
Gretchen

My husband, two daughters and myself went to the jalousie 12/01 on hilton points. We were upgraded to an ocean view villa. We absolutely loved it. If you can try to get one of the lower units which makes it easy to walk to the beach and the bang, which I also recomend going to. The helicopter tour was fantastic and well worth the money. We also did an ATV tour at the southern tip of the island (the hilton arranged it)which gave us a very different perspective of the island. Would definitely do that again. The water taxi to Castries is great also. The nite life is minimal but I preferred to sit by my pool and mellow with a few glasses of wine anyways. The food is expensive. We bought food in castries and stocked our fridge so we managed to eat lunch by the pool and dinner out. We loved the place. Have fun!

May 31st, 2002, 07:54 AM
Kristy

Just returned from St. Lucia and would recommend that you try La Haut Plantation for dinner or lunch one day. It's approx. 1 1/2 miles North of Soufriere and has an incredible view of the Pitons. The food is great and moderately priced.

Enjoy your vacation.

Jun 6th, 2002, 05:07 PM
Shannon

Just got back from St. Lucia! We stayed at Ladera, but spent a day on the lovely Hilton beach. Highly recommend the Plantation at the Hilton - very elegant, best wine list on the island, amazing food & excellent service. You should also try Dasheene at Ladera and The Hummingbird (get the Rain Forest Crayfish with garlic butter if they're still in season!) As for tours - our favorites were horse back riding at Morne Coubaril and the Rain Forest hike with Simon Marshall. We wanted to climb Gros Piton, which takes 4 hours and is not very difficult, but ran out of time - there is so much to do there! Everyone we knew who did it loved it!

Jun 7th, 2002, 06:24 AM
mary

I thought climbing Gros Piton was somewhat difficult especially on a hot day, and I'm in okay shape. I only made it half-way up but my husband did make it to the top (soaking wet and exhausted). Put it this way, it's four hours of constant climbing and walking uphill. Than you have to go down again which isn't all that easy either because you're going down walls of rocks.

Jul 18th, 2002, 01:10 PM
Mol

Jalousie set up a horseback riding tour to the Sulfur Springs. What a sight to see! It's an active volcano and you can feel the steam coming from it. You are taken there through a rain forest. The scenery was incredible.

They also offer a rainforest/safari. I thought that was fun. You get to swim in a waterfall but the hike back up from the falls was a little tedious. You are pretty much going straight up a mountain. The guides were great.

Jul 19th, 2002, 04:33 AM
Vita

Just got back from Sandals St. Lucia... ha a great time... must do the helicopter tour of the island.. it was absolutly amazing!

Jul 20th, 2002, 02:54 AM
Marcus

Got back from Jalousie the other day.

Daily food costs are around (base on what we spent) -

Breakfast - $33.00 (2 people)
Lunch - $40 upwards (2 people)
Dinner - $70+ (2 people)

For lunch and dinner, you can eat for less.

On certain nights there are special theme nights, usually at Bayside. These are usually buffet dinners, with chefs cooking certain dishes in front of you.

I think it went -

Italian Night - Mondays at the Pier
Seafood BBQ - Wednesday at Bayside
Caribean night - Friday at Bayside
Candlelit dinner(?!) - Saturday at the Plantation club.

Drinks (hard to remember)-

Coke - $3.00
Water - $4.00 (local mineral 1.5 ltr)
Beers - $3.00
Cocktails -$5.75+ (try the Jalouise Seabreeze)
Wine - $32.00 upwards (bottle)