Original Poster

Nice place to eat on St. Croix

My wife and my three preteen daughters and
I are staying at Gentle Winds Condo complex
on the north shore for a week in June.
For our last night out, we would like
to go somewhere with a bit of ambience
and where the food is turned up a notch(if
not downright gourmet) Appreciate any suggestions- Christiansted or Carambolla?
(We wanted to check out Carambolla sometime
that week- should we make reservations for
breakfast or is the dinner worth it there?)

THanks!!!

Mark H.
May 16th, 2006, 05:13 PM

would the dinner be with your kids? There are several people on this board with great St. Croix suggestions; the place my husband and I really liked is Kendrick's in Christiansted--here is the menu, kids I know would not have been happy there, but if your kids would be, good for you!
http://www.gotostcroix.com/kendricks/menu.htm

there are some great family-friendly places, let us know a little more,

Mary in D.C.
May 16th, 2006, 07:15 PM
Original Poster

Kendricks looks like just the place
that my wife and I would LOVE.
Our daughters will be joining us and
the menu is a little too sophisticated
for their tastes ...although I must
say that all three enjoy a good
steak and one of them loves Salmon.
Perhaps a place with a kids menu
or with steak on the menu....

Thanks!

Mark H.
May 17th, 2006, 03:06 AM

I still vote for Kendricks even if your kids just have the pasta they offer to children. It has an atmosphere you can't get outside of the Caribbean (open air courtyard with white lights and Danish Colonial architecture). It really is special. We take our two kids (ages 9 and 12 this year) on our annual trips at least twice while we are there and they love it.

Rumrunners would be another good choice for Jimmy Buffett-like atmosphere. Kids would enjoy it. Not as elegant/classy but definitely fun. Duggan's Reef (which is a bit of a drive) is also a great atmosphere (open air porch) with very good food.

Have never eaten at Carambola so can't comment.

Have a fabulous time on St. Croix!
May 17th, 2006, 09:16 AM

I knew Carol would know about things kids would eat at Kendrick's!

Second both Rum Runners (fun, right on the water in town) and Duggan's. Both have children's menus.

Have fun,

Mary
May 18th, 2006, 11:52 AM

I love all three suggestions, but I'd probably vote for Rumrunners. Your kids will love the tarpon feeding at dusk (heck, so will you). They throw fish scraps off the dock and these enormous game fish come in to feed in the shallow water - the water really churns.

I also like The Bombay Club (named after the gin, not the city) where you can order everything from burgers and fish and chips (terrific, I would never order these anyplace but St. Croix) to filet mignon or fresh catch of the day. Moderate prices too.
May 19th, 2006, 12:54 PM

My family went to the seafood buffet at the Carambola on Friday night. Both the food and the atmosphere were wonderful. The Carambola is a bit of a drive but the dining room is spectacular; beautiful wood. Duggan's Reef was also very good with a great table by the ocean.
May 19th, 2006, 01:31 PM

Kendrick’s was a client of ours back in the early 90’s. The simple fact that restaurants come and go very quickly in the Caribbean is a testament to the consistency of service and quality of this fine establishment. Duggan’s was also a big favorite of mine back then. There used to be a place called Villa Madeleine on the East End that was spectacular! Pure indulgence with killer views over Buck Island with the lights of St. Thomas about 40 miles to the north. Great Cognac Sidecars served straight up in a big, sugar-rimmed martini glass!
May 22nd, 2006, 05:47 AM

Alas, Villa Madeline is no longer among us - I believe the restaurant is now a private villa. It just goes to prove your claim that those restaurants that have longevity (like Duggan's and Kendrick's) have it for a reason. I'd add that Rumrunners appears to be very stable, Bombay Club has been there for as long as I've been going (since 1989). Also Savant and Bacchus don't appear to be going anywhere - they're pretty upscale and mostly indoors, so I didn't mention them as being the most kid-friendly. And I forgot to mention Tutto Bene - it's all indoors and noisy, but the food is great. I didn't gravitate there immediately - my thinking was "why eat Italian in the Caribbean", but the menu offers much, much more and the service is fast, friendly and very attentive. Reservations are pretty much a must here, even at its larger location it's always full, which says something.
Aug 5th, 2006, 12:06 PM

bookmarking these fabulous recs!