Search

St. Lucia and Kids

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 05:14 PM
klr

St. Lucia and Kids

All the messages I have read seem to be mostly for couples, any advice for people traveling with kids?

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 05:39 AM
Mary

I have heard the Windjammer Landing is a good resort for kids. Yes, it's mostly a "couples" island and I'd probably suggest another destination with kids but that doesn't mean they can't have fun if you plan it right. Check out Pigeon Island, take the Jeep Safari Tour, horseback riding, etc. The vacation would probably be more educational than rip-roaring fun for them, but some kids like that. With kids, I'd definitely suggest staying somewhere in the north which is where WL is located. Many more options and things to do and see.

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 11:11 AM
Marti

We were there for a 10 year anniversary, left our 2 kids behind-- the only non local kids I saw were 2 little ones when we left the airport. The parents looked exhausted. It's an awful long flight, and I would not subject my kids to it, but they are young. You don't mention your kid's ages.

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 11:16 AM
xxx

Good point about the long flight. That might be why we saw so few kids as well. There were maybe 4 or 5 kids at Jalousie Hilton the week we were there. The activities staff were very nice to them, they played foosball with them and even tried to get a game of volleyball going though there were only 2 kids there at that point so they mostly just tossed the ball around to each other. St. Lucia doesn't seem like the kid friendliest island. They seemed bored.

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 01:30 PM
Donna

Klr, how old are the children? This isn't a island for the younger child,(under 5) but ran into a few family's that where having the time of there lives. Depends on the type of activities,you want for your kids and the things they are used to doing or expect? I would have loved to have brought my kids here when they were younger. It would as Mary said be more educationally based/explore the island type theme.

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 02:48 PM
klr

My kids are two girls, 7 & 11. I am not concerned about the flight as they are both quite use to driving to Maine - 9 hrs, and the Outerbanks 8 hrs. I was more concerned with there being activities that are suitable.

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 09:34 PM
Donna

klr, We stayed at the Jalousie Hilton in June, there weren't a whole lot of children, the ones we saw seemed to be off doing things with there family. The Hilton is neat location and a nice beach, the pool is basic, nothing fancy with water slides or falls. I will reprint from are room booklet, info. <BR>The resort offers a supervised activity center for children,&quot;The Learning Center&quot;, featuring the study of three areas of biology (marine,Volcanology,rain forest).Numerous other educational and fun activities are available for all children over the age of five. A children's activity booklet can be found in your room.<BR>Baby-sitting Services are available at a nominal charge.<BR>They also offered Kids'Scuba Program $30 for 9-12year olds in main pool.<BR><BR>Have you checked out Club St. Lucia, didn't see it. Varied reports but seems to be geared for Kids, with a pool with slide, reports talk of many,many kids.

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 02:18 AM
andrea

Look up Club St Lucia, they have great family rooms (sep sofa beds in living room ). We almost booked for there this Feb, but coming from the UK, got better price and times for flights/villa at Jolly Harbour in Antigua (w/ 3 boys, we are limited as to where we can stay). We may look into them next time.

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 05:39 PM
Bonnie

Windjammer Landing is terrific place with children. The 2 bedroom Villa's are a great set-up. Besides the 2 bedrooms, they have a kitchen, living room and your own plundge pool. They have a very good children's program which is free of charge. As far as the activities they have a scuba program for children, snorkeling trips, lots of water sports, tennis, a spa. Mostly we go there to relax and enjoy the beach and the people at the resort. You should check out there web site. www.windjammer-landing.com. In Feb. we will be returning for our 5th time. We bought a timeshare after our 1st year. My 8 yr old son and us always look forward to returning to the Windjammer.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 05:44 AM
Mary

If considering Club St. Lucia please, please do your research. It has received many bad reviews and a few good ones. Check out wheretostay.com. We had booked our wedding there, based only on price and their website (which looked wonderful but probably deceiving) but changed after discovering this site and wheretostay.com. I'm glad we did. After we got to the island, even the locals said this wasn't a very good resort, but yes, it is kid friendly. If I remember correctly, the biggest complaints were uncleanliness; bad, recycled food; and poor service. I've heard people leaving for other resorts after their first day there. It's been a few years so maybe they've gotten their act together. I'd just hate for you to regret it.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 06:03 PM
klr

Thanks for the information! We definetly have a look to go on. We are looking into a few other islands too especially as we also will be traveling with some divers. We will have a mix crowd so we have a lot to consider when making our final plans.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 01:59 AM
andrea

I too looked at wheretostay.com, and found that most of the bad reviews were from Americans, and good ones from Europeans. As an American living in the UK, I can say that we Americans can be more critical, esp about food, while the British in general are there for the weather, and are more tolerant about bland and boring food, as long as everything else is nice. Most AI's get complaints about the food, except at the top end, which this isn't. I guess you have to decide for yourself how important this is to you.<BR><BR>Andrea

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 10:03 AM
Mary

Andrea: I found that true as well on wheretostay.com and I'm glad you brought it up. Just curious, is the food in the UK, in general, bland and boring?