Nevis Help

Old May 24th, 2006, 03:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nevis Help

Will be going to Nevis in June. This will be our first trip. Will travel with our kids ages 18 and 16. Staying at Villa Paradiso. Can anyone suggest restaurants around this location? Thanks.
Old May 24th, 2006, 05:29 PM
cw

Is Villa Paradiso near the Four Seasons? Will you have a rental car?

Nothing in Nevis is too far away, so you really have your choice of restaurants.

One that I can recommend is Bananas which is located at the Cafe des Arts in Charlestown. We had a lovely meal outside in the garden. Most entrees are grilled right outside.

Different places have special nights when they have barbecues. Nesbit Plantation and Oualie Beach are two.

Double Deuce right outside of Charlestown was highly recommended to us but we didn't get there. I have read good reviews though.

There are a couple of beach bars near the FS, the famous Sunshine's and a newer one called Chevy's. They are quite close to one another.

The Gallipot is also well reviewed. It is north of the FS.

We stayed at the Hermitage Plantation inn, and their food is excellent, as are the dinners at Montpelier.

Nevis has a lot of restaurants, so I'm sure you'll have no trouble finding places to go.

Others on the forum will jump in with more suggestions I'm sure.

Have a great trip. We love Nevis.

CW
Old May 25th, 2006, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

Yes, the villa is suppose to be fairly close to the FS. We do plan on having a rental car also. Do you know how long it takes to get from the airport to the FS area? Thanks.
Old May 25th, 2006, 05:49 AM
iw

We are returning for our 2nd trip in June. We had great meals at Oualie Beach. It's a neat spot to hang out.
Old May 25th, 2006, 06:31 AM
cw

It's a 15 minute (tops) leisurely drive from the airport to the FS area.

You can drive around the island in about an hour and a half and the only reason it takes that long is that there is a stretch of road on the eastern side from roughtly the Golden Rock to the airport that is slow going. But they are in the process of redoing it.

You will be driving the other way when you go to your villa. Easy and a good road.

cw

Old May 25th, 2006, 06:36 AM

Villa Paradiso...very nice! You and your kids will love the beach to say nothing of the posh accommodation. If she's open, Miss Junes is just down the street (not really a place for the kids, though). I'll second the Oualie Beach Hotel...check with Chef Jason when the beach BBQ is scheduled. Any of the plantation Inns have excellent lunches and dining experiences. Also check on the Botantical gardens...if, open, they too have a great lunch selection. Have a great time. Cheers, Richard.
Old May 25th, 2006, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. Our flight gets in at 4:20pm so a 15 min. ride would be great. We do have to leave home really early - 4:00am so will be tired I'm sure. Any suggestions for an early dinner our first night, close by, would be great. Thanks.
Old May 25th, 2006, 06:54 AM

As others have said, one of the (many) nice things about Nevis is that you're never more than about 30 minutes away from any place for dinner, and if you're staying near the 4S, you'll have lots of choices within a short drive.

Unlike others, our only bad meal was at Oualie, but I believe that with the new Chef Jason you wouldn't have to worry about that. Our best meals were at Montpelier for a formal dining experience and at Cla-Cha-Del for a local dining experience. The latter is now closed, but I believe there is another local restaurant owned and/or managed by the same family--Sunnyboy or MIM04 could possibly give you the name. We also really enjoyed a casual lunch at the Nisbet beach bar--great conch fritters--and at Golden Rock, where we went for a short walk afterwards to look for the monkeys.

We stayed at Mt. Nevis Hotel, from which you can reach via a 3-minute walk the ruins of Cottle Chapel, which was a beautiful place. It was built by a plantation owner so that his family and his slaves could worship together--what an odd blend of backwards- and forward-thinking (actually, he went on to free his slaves before Emancipation). But it's a lovely piece of restoration work in a peaceful setting, and definitely worth a few moments of your time for a detour.

Nevis is a true gem and I hope your family enjoys it as much as we did.
Old May 25th, 2006, 03:06 PM

Our favorite meal on Nevis was at The Cooperage at the Old Manor House where we enjoyed a sumptuous meals amidst the buildings and grounds from Nevis' sugar plantation era. They actually are more well known for doing weddings for the locals. We had an appetizer, and entree and my husband and I ate off of each others plate (something we don't normally do!) as it was all SO good. It's Caribbean food, but your entire family will eat it. Lenny, the chef, came out and talked to us after the meal and shared all kinds of awesome details about Nevis with us. They are open from 6:30 to 9P and I would recommend reservations. Their # is 869/469-3445. Enjoy!
Old May 25th, 2006, 04:20 PM

Villa Paradiso! Lucky lucky you, flit! Where did I just see a magazine spread on these villas? Was it Caribbean Travel & Life? We walked past the beach entrance on our Nevis journeys and they look very exclusive...lots of beach toys too for the teens.

For the first night, I would unpack (or not!) and walk along the beach, past the Four Seasons, to Sunshine's. Have a Painkiller, get right in the island mood, and order some of their delicious food while you enjoy the view and the music. Very casual, you could wear your swimsuits if you wanted.

I second many of the recs above, especially Oalie and Montpelier. While you're exploring, stop at any of the blue cultural signs and go exploring. Some of the ruins are quite magical. Have fun!
Old May 25th, 2006, 06:11 PM

You will love Villa Paradiso, it is fantastic. Hope you have a great trip. It is close to the FS and there are a few restaurants there. You will have no problem getting around assuming you rent a car.

Coconut Grove
Miss Junes
Mingles - local very casual, simple menu, grilled fish, etc
Four Seasons - various restaurants
Gallipot - great steaks and homemade ice cream
Nisbet plantation is not far either, they have a buffet on Thursday night. Their beach front restaurant serves lunch and the food is good. Sandwiches / salads, etc.

Montpelier - not close but worth the drive especially for dinner
Hermitage - ditto OR for breakfast

Bananas is not open right now. It is cafe de arts (in town) good food, which is open for breafast & lunch

Also, I know a Chef if you would like any meals prepared at your villa. That is always a nice option. Ben - [email protected]

Have a great trip!
Old May 26th, 2006, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like everyone agrees on where to go so that has made it easy. Should I try making reservations before we go or as soon as we get there?
Old May 27th, 2006, 06:39 AM

We were on Nevis for a day trip last month and tried Mingles. It was only six weeks new but was recommended to us by a local. The food was good and fairly reasonable. The reason I am recommending it to you as I believe it could turn into a happening place that your teens would enjoy. It is on the beach and they were adding an outdoors bar and built a bandstand for entertainment. When you are there call and check on their entertainment schedule or just stop by for lunch and enjoy the beach casual atmosphere and a good meal. H
Old May 27th, 2006, 06:53 AM
iw

I love the response that you have received since we are also going in June! Last year we made reservations when we got to the island and had no problem. The only restaurant that we did not care for in terms of view and food was Seafood Madness. As I recommended before, Chef Jason at Oualie Beach is awesome! My husband still talks about the lobster dish that we had there.