never been to USVI - suggestions

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2005, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are in our early 50's...we have travelled to Jamaica, Nassau, Punta Cana, St. Kitts, and Mexico, mostly at all -inclusives. We would like to try our hand at some independent travel and thought the USVI would be a good place to begin.

Can anyone tell me what to expect for meal expenses? Having done mostly AI, I have nofeel for that whatsoever. So unless I can calculate that cost, I cannot tell if I am looking at an affordable vacation with just the hotel price.

We enjoy the fine things in life, but our budget doesn't always cooperate!! We are looking for a nice beach (absolute necessity) and a user-friendly place to get around. I would appreciate any hints/tips you wish to share!!!
Old May 9th, 2005, 08:34 AM

Hi There,

Waht your food costs will run depends on what you want to eat. There are McD's, Arbys, KFC, roti trucks, pizza joints on this island if you really want to eat that....but it will keep your costs down. There are also restaurants that will run you $100 for a couple for dinner....and all price ranges in between. It is relatively easy on STT to control the amount you are going to spend at restaurants.

Another way to control food costs is to stay at a resort that offers you kitchen facilities so that you can shop at the grocery and cook for yourself. For grocery costs count on paying about a 25% premium over your costs on the mainland.

Because the island is so easy to get around, it makes managing your costs relatively easy. Also keep in mind that a rental car will cost you less in the long run than paying taxi's to take you around the island. Two taxi trips a day for two folks will cost you more than having your own car.

Schultz

Old May 9th, 2005, 10:27 AM
KVR

We are leaving this weekend for our first trip to St. Thomas to celebrate DH's 50th birtday. We always go AI when vacationing if possible. We do tend to eat and drink alot and just like the convenience of AI.

We chose the Wyndham Sugar Bay Resort and purchased their AI option. For a complete package including air, hotel and tranfares for the 2 of us it was $588 more ($294 p/p) for a 6 night stay then not going AI. I can easily see us spending more than that on food and drink at the hotel. Though the beach doesn't get as good reviews the location is ideal for us since it's close to Red Hook.

The Bolongo Bay Beach Club also offers an AI option. However, we didn't feel the hotel looked as nice and for our dates it came in at $200 higher.

After we booked and paid for our chose, I found one reference where the Marriott Frenchman's Reef would be offering some type of AI plan. However, I did not look into it further since our plans were already made. The Marriott gets very good recommendations from several message boards.

Typically you can plan on around $20 -$40 p/p for evening meals depending on how fancy the restaurant. Drinks about $5 - $10. I took the time to research some of the resturants and bars web-sites for menus and pricing.

We chose not to rent a car. We never do when we visit the Caribbean. We have planned several excursions that will take us through Charlotte Amalie, St. John and BVI that included transportation to and from. A taxi to Red Hook will be about $3 p/p each way and to Charlotte Amalie about $10 p/p each way. We planned 2 evening outings 1 to Duffy's Love Shack and 1 to Paradise Point. The other evenings we will enjoy the AI amenties at our hotel.

It all depends on what you are looking for in a vacation.
Old May 9th, 2005, 03:48 PM

We love the Carambola Resort on St. croix. don't let bad reviews stop you from going there. They are beginning to update the rooms - we love having a second floor room because of it's vaulted ceiling. The rooms are spacious and all have a wonderful screened-in porch. The grounds are beautiful and the resort sits at the end of a road so it is secluded. The menu at the Carambola is small and a bit overpriced. But, as mentioned before, you can find inexpensive meals on the island. Be sure to rent a car - it's a great island to explore. We enjoy the carambola golf course terrace restaurant for breakfast and lunch. They're not open for dinner. The food is wonderful and reasonably priced. Last year I had a wonderful mahi-mahi sandwich with a small salad for only 9.99. The Ft. Christian Brew Pub had good food but the meals were in the range of 15 - 25 for dinner. Kendrick's was fancier and much more expensive. Great food but we paid around $80.00 for the both of us to eat and only my hubby had wine. There is a KFC!! and my husband insisted on dining on some just to say that he had KFC in the Caribbean!!
Old May 10th, 2005, 12:16 PM

I would suggest St John, it has wonderful beaches. There are tons of restuarants there, right in town and really there are places to fit any budget. I dont like all inclusives because I think you miss out on what an island has to offer if you dine on the property all the time. You dont get a feel for the local atmosphere.

You mentioned that you have been to St Kitts, have you considered going to Nevis on this trip? there are lots of dining options there. You can also rent a villa and do some cooking on your own - its easy to do at least breakfast and lunch. Let me know if you want more info. I am happy to help.
Old May 11th, 2005, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help! I definitely do not want a kitchen on my vacation. We usually do smaller breakfast and lunch and then a nice dinner in the evening. I am glad to hear the island is that easy to navigate. When we were in St. Kitts, the dining options were limited and tended to end up being pricey. Some one had told us to plan on budgeting $150 per person/day for food. I thought that was a little steep and am glad to hear the situation appears to be well manageable.
Old May 11th, 2005, 12:01 PM

Have a great trip. In St John - make sure you go to the Lime Inn, either for breakfast or lunch - there is a really nice shop next door called the Pink Papaya (open at night too) it is great.
Old May 11th, 2005, 01:36 PM
KVR

paulalou,

I definatley agree with you. I do not cook when on vacation (I hardly cook when I'm home) When we first started planning our trip, we got lots of recommendations for Villas on St. John. I don't do Villas either. Don't want a kitchen and prefer a resort style vacation with an AI option. We also like to be close to shopping and entertainment areas.

We've also been to Nassau and Mexico as well as Grand Cayman. To date, Mexico is still our favorite vacation destination.