Search

Island suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25th, 2007, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Island suggestions

Hello,

My husband and I are planning a trip to the Caribbean in February 2008. He has never been and I have only been once - Jamaica. When we travel we usually go to Europe (more Ireland, England, Scotland) because we love the pace and the history.
We are looking for an all inclusive resort that offers day trips as well.

Any suggestions as to which Island we should visit and which hotels we should stay look into?

Our budget is around $3000 for both of us.

Thanks!
Old Nov 25th, 2007, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

I guess I should have included what we would like to do while we are there.

We can take relaxing on the beach for a day or two but we would like to explore as well. We like to hike and just walk around the small villages, maybe some shopping but not a lot. We enjoy our pubs as well!

For the resort I am looking for a place that is all inclusive, has entertainment, good food and spa services.

Hopefully this is enough information.
Old Nov 26th, 2007, 03:12 PM

How about the Bay Gardens Beach Resort in St Lucia? Brand new - just opened earlier this year. It's right on the beach and is in Rodney Bay, so that you can walk to a host of shops and restaurants. They have an AI option. St Lucia is a fab island with lots of hiking opportunities.
St Kitts/Nevis is another option - either or both. Great hiking, ok beaches. Hermitage Inn on Nevis offers AI - lots of character and great food. Both abound with places of historical interest, but particularly StK with the Brimtstone Hill Fortress which is a World Heritage site. The capital, Basseterre, much of which is cobblestoned, is great for wandering around and stopping off for a snack or popping into a shop or art gallery.
There is a lot of info at www.destinationcaribbean.net
Old Nov 27th, 2007, 11:08 AM

bajangirl has given a slightly incorrect answer regarding the Hermitage Inn on Nevis. They do not offer an AI option (as in all acholoic & non-alcholic drinks, all meals and activities included in price). Their standard rates do, however, include breakfast and they offer several different "package plans" some of which include some (but not all) lunches and/or dinners but you still have to pay for drinks.

I point this out because many first time posters and inexperieced travelers often confuse the term "All Inclusive" with "Meal Plan".

Generally speaking All Inclusive means your weekly rate includes room, all meals, all drinks, snacks, all activities (watersports landsports, excursions, etc,) and use of all resort facilities. Meal Plans, as the name implies, only applies to specific meals - various combinations of breakfast, lunch and/or dinner depending on the Plan you select. Meal Plans rarely include beverages although some do include a house wine with dinner or lunch and they do not include any resort activities.
Old Nov 27th, 2007, 05:19 PM

I think that the Riveria Maya area of Mexico, specifically Playa del Carmen, would fit the bill.

There are a number of all inclusives, Royal Hideaway being the nicest, but there is also a lot of history in the Mayan ruins and other interesting activities, i.e., cenotes.
Old Nov 28th, 2007, 01:33 AM

Hi St.Lucia everytime would be my recommendation
I know you stated you would like an all inclusive resort type hotel,and I have had good times at Bay Gardens, but for something a little bit more exclusive and not too expensive may I suggest you look at the Habitat Terrace web site before you book anywhere
my 16 man crew and my wife and myself have nothing but praise for the way this little boutique hotel is operated and run. It's like a home from home and nothing and I mean nothing is too much trouble for the proprieter or her staff just look at the web site