Negril vs. Ocho Rios?

Dec 13th, 2004, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

Negril vs. Ocho Rios?

My husband and I are planning a trip to Jamaica in January. We've been there several times and usually stay at the Negril Tree House. We're considering going to Ocho Rios just for a change of pace and because of concerns about Negril's beach and the Tree House since the hurricanes. Can anyone who's been there recently (or lives there) tell me the state of both those things please? Also, does Ocho Rios have a strip of beach to take walks on like Negril? I've looked at both the Sans Souci and Couples Ocho Rios sites and it seems like that's not possible. Are there any nice hotels on the beach in a more "in town" location in Ocho Rios? Jamaica Inn sounds nice, but it's a little out of our budget. We're not dead set on an AI either. We like to get out and meet the locals and eat at the mom and pop jerk stands. Thanks in advance for any help.
Dec 13th, 2004, 10:39 PM

The beaches in Ochie and Negril are worlds apart. There's still plenty nuff beach in Negril even tho many parts are thinner. Ochie's beaches are smaller, more public and don't have the same 'strolling factor' nor beachside nightlife. Suggest instead of a big AI you look at TI MOANA COTTAGE, on ocean, well-priced, owned/run by HARMONY HALL gallery/Toscanini Italian restaurant just outside Ochi -- casual/comfortable/stylish -- with access to good food and art. Hire a driver/guide through them for restauranting and touring. Google search 'Harmony Hall, Jamaica' for more info -- note that they have operations in Antigua as well and the cottage link is somewhat hard to find on the opening pages of their site. Worth the search, however...
Dec 14th, 2004, 03:37 AM

Hello,

I was just to both places for two weeks a few months ago and would not go back to Ochi. However, we did stay at Jamaica Inn in O R and just loved it, the O R area itself we found to be too touristy for our liking.

If you can win an auction for Jamaica Inn on luxurylink.com (which we did), the price is much more reasonable, but I'll warn you, once you get onto the property, you may never want to leave.

Other than JI and lunch at the Ocho Rios Jerk Centre, not much at all about Ocho Rios interested us.
Dec 14th, 2004, 10:00 AM

Before you rule out the Jamaica Inn, take a look at the auctions on luxurylink as Diana mentioned. Another property that appears on luxurylink from time to time is Goldeneye. Those would be my 2 top picks for Ochie and if you can win one of the auctions, the cost is not more (maybe even less) than Sans Souci or Couples. Agree with the other posts though that Ochie doesn't have long, strolling beaches and the resorts are spread apart so it's not really feasible to walk to anywhere.
Dec 14th, 2004, 02:09 PM

Ochi doesn't have the long beach with bars and hotels on it that Negril does. And it has a cruise ship port.

That said, the area to the east of Ochi (from 15 minutes east all the way around to Portland) is wonderful and laid back and far less touristy than Negril. It's nice to go into Ochi for a nice dinner from there.

I wouldn't stay in Ochi myself, the main attractions in Ochi seem to be shopping, dining and disco-nightlife, none of which I am particularly interested in on vacation.
Dec 14th, 2004, 09:55 PM

If you do wind up on the North Coast, Harmony Hall opens a new exhibition
called 'INTUITIVES' this Jan -- well worth a look as this classic, often surrealistic movement in Jamaican art can be mesmerizing. And it's highly-collectible...
Dec 17th, 2004, 04:00 AM

Ihave been to Jamaica 32 times and always prefer the Negril area. I have stayed at several resorts in Ochi but always miss the beaches and funky atmosphere of Negril.
Dec 17th, 2004, 04:55 PM

I have to agree same island but worlds apart as far as beach goes...Negril is the best place to walk on the beach.