Reload this Page >

Couples vs. Sandal Ocho Rios vs. Negril

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 03:26 PM
Joe

OK, I'm narrowing down our honeymoon.. finally. <BR><BR>Sandals Ochos Rios seems to be the most affordable, and looks fine from what I've seen. <BR><BR>I hear negril is a beautiful beach, but with sandals you can go from hotel to hotel, right?<BR><BR>I hear a lot of good things about couples swept away, but it seems to be about 50% more expensive than sandals.. Is it worth the extra money?<BR><BR>I'm also looking at Beaches Grande Sport, the most affordable of all of them. It looks nice from what I've seen and it is 16 and over, so I would assume it's pretty mellow.<BR><BR>What do you guys think? any tips would be appreciated.<BR><BR>I've looked online for cheap flights, do you NEED a travel agent for these resorts?<BR><BR>Thanks so much,<BR>Joe

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 04:26 PM
joe

Oh yeah, one more question<BR><BR>Couples swept away negril or couples negril?<BR><BR>They seem pretty closely priced.

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 04:38 PM
liza

I've been to noneof them so can't say anything about what's inside but:<BR><BR>Ocho Rios and Negril are a good 3-4 hours apart, you won't be hopping from one to the other unless you enjoy driving a lot.<BR><BR>Couples Negril is on Bloody Bay, Couples Swept Away is on the main 7 mile beach. Swept Away advertises itself as a sports resort, huge athletic facilities.<BR><BR>Swept Away's location makes it much easier to get off the resort - walk to the beach, turn right and there are tons of bars, restaurants, shoppping, little hotels and live music places. You can catch a cab on the road side to the cliffs and town much more easily from the main drag than from Blood Bay.<BR><BR>Bloody Bay is a little more secluded, out of the way. Also there are very few vendors selling stuff on it.

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 07:04 PM
joesdbay

3-4 hours apart, eh? hmmm.<BR><BR>at couples can you go from coules negril to couples swept away negril?

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 05:57 AM
islander

It really depends on what your priorities are, Joe. If you must have the best beach, then Negril is the way to go. But as far as Sandals, I have heard more great things about the Ochos Rios resort. Many people say that the brochures do it no justice and the resort is beautiful. <BR><BR>If going on a budget and the best beach is not a must, I would choose Sandals Ochos Rios. But if beach is important and you'd prefer Negril, I would choose Couples Negril most definitely. Don't waste your time or money at Sandals Negril. It's your honeymoon, and Couples Negril has the best beach and the resort/staff is amazing. <BR><BR>Congrats, good luck and enjoy!

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 06:19 AM
traveler

I have stayed at the Couples Resorts and some of Sandals. Couples Swept Away is a very nice property with lush, tropical grounds. The balconies are huge. Rooms do not have a TV. This resort is laid-back and for those just wanting to get away from it all...there is really no nightlife. <BR><BR>Couples Negril is also very nice, more contemporary feel to the resort. Little more active nightlife. They do not have exchange priviledges like Sandals, so you cannot stay at Swept Away and go over to Couples Negril.<BR><BR>Sandals Ocho Rios is also a very nice resort. The grounds are very tropical. The beach area is small but nice. It usually prices out very good compared to the other Sandals resorts. You do have exchange priviledges with Sandals Dunn's River, Beaches Grande Sport and Beaches Boscobel (Sandals only provides transportation to Sandals Dunn's River).<BR><BR>Beaches Grande Sport is a good value, but the rooms are in need of renovation. In my opinion, I'd stick with Sandals Ocho Rios or one of the Couples Resorts in Negril. Good luck!

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 05:38 PM
sandiegojoe

OK, sounds like negril is the spot.<BR><BR>Now I'm torn between Couples swept away, and couples negril.<BR><BR>ANybody have input on both? WHich rooms are the best for the buck.<BR><BR>Thanks guys, I'd be staying at the motel 6 bahamas if not for your input.

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 05:42 AM
Islander

Couples Negril has the better beach hands down! Both resorts are great. If you want the best beach, Negril is the one!

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 10:22 AM
liza

I'd say the beaches are both beautiful but Swept Away's is technically public - people will stroll though it on their way up and down the beach. I guess Bloody Bay is technically public too but there's not much to stroll to or from there so you'll have little walk-throughs. I doubt security at either one will allow beach vendors to bug you.<BR><BR>Swept Away has the better access to off-resort nightlife and better people watching.<BR><BR>Bloody Bay has a slightly nicer beach I think, though it is a shallower bay.

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 10:41 AM
joe

so are the two resorts close to each other? or do you take a cab from couples negril for nightlife (or shuttle?) they both sound really nice.<BR><BR>still can't decide. <BR><BR>Any info on rooms? Is it worth it to pay the extra for s suite? what about ocean view compared to an atrium or garden?

Old Dec 14th, 2002, 01:47 PM
joe

hmm. still can't decide

Old Dec 14th, 2002, 04:20 PM
Michele

We were at Sandals Negril in 1999. We thought the resort and beach were great. And we also had privileges at Beaches Negril which is only 10 minutes away. Beaches had a better pool IMO, but the beach at Sandals Negril was gorgeous. Plenty of shade and sun, depending what you are looking for. I have not been to either Couples resort so I can't give you any info on that.

Old Dec 14th, 2002, 04:35 PM
jimbo

We have stayed at both resorts. I would pick Couples over Swept Away, better beach,nightlife and staff. Get an oceanview room on the third floor you get a better view than a suite room. We have stayed at this resort three times, always a good time. Take a commuter plane from Mobay to Negril 15 minute plane ride about 60.00 better than two hr. bus ride. To get to Negril at night get a taxi, ask for Franklin at the front desk to take care of this. I don't kow how long you are staying, but you can stay at both resorts and you have a great time. The resorts are about 5 miles apart. If you have any question feel free to e-mail. Have a great time.

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 09:58 AM
liza

FYI the road to Negril is done, the ride is only about an hour now.

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 09:21 PM
anon

if you want true beachfront room - swept away. Couples rooms are ocean view, not beachfront. <BR><BR>Also for sandals, ochos rios is great, very tropical and you have free transfers and priveliges at sandals dunns river. Sandals negril and ochos rios are 4 hours apart and the resorts does not provide shuttles, although you can visit for free if you are in the area.

Old Dec 24th, 2002, 06:44 AM
Dave

We've been to Sandals Ocho Rios twice and love it. The place is very exotic, all tied together with paths through a jungle setting. The main pool is on the small side, but the swim up bar and the adjacent large hot tub are very social places. The hidden pool is isolated; you frequently get it all to yourself!<BR><BR>It's very easy to hop the 15 minute shuttle over to Sandals Dunns River and hang out at their fantastic pool and beach all day, then go back to the beauty of SOR at night... it really is a good way to go.<BR><BR>Dinner at the Reef Terrace is always great, it's an outdoor place on a bluff over the ocean. Look for Alfonso there if you go!<BR><BR>Dave