Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Experienced with Jamaica AIs? Please advise...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2003, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First, my girl had a couple recommendations to Sandals Negril. What's your input? What's better?<BR>Second, must leave on 6:42am AA out of M-Bay. How-the-heck do you get to airport from Negril at 4:42am??<BR>Last, any experience with Holiday Inn Sunspree in M-Bay?<BR>Thanks!
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 04:58 PM

You dont! Be advised, stay away from jamaica. it sucks! stayed at holiday inn mo bay and it was awful. mo bay is just trashy, dirty, and very unsafe! holiday inn is right in middle of busy town and it is just a piece of garbage of a hotel. very loud at night with city noise and no beach to speak of. you get what you pay for there. i could go on but take it from a traveller who has been all over caribbean- jamaica is just not a good choice! it is very unsafe and you are ALWAYS hasseled by locals to buy junk- everywhere and on every part of the island!! take your chances i guess but you were warned!! pick a different island, any island and you wont be sorry!!!
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 03:50 AM

My advice to you is to go up to that search box at the top of the screen and search by Jamaica, Sandals, Mobay, Negril etc. You'll find lots of posts on Sandals Negril. Get lots of opinions. Generally speaking people have a lot more nice things to say about Negril than Mobay. <BR>
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 07:54 AM

You stay in MoBay at a Holiday Inn (or anywhere for that matter), you get what you pay for/deserveownscale all the way. Swept Away in Negril might be a better choice for you than Sandals. Wherever you stay in Negril, a driver can secured for your departure flight/leave at least 2.5-3 hours for the road and the check-in tho,just to be safe.
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 02:33 PM

Negril area of Jamaica is beautiful. It is about a 1 1/2 hour bus ride from the airport. Sandals Negril is nice, Couples is even better. We really enjoyed the Riu in Negril. I'm sure you could arrange for a driver to get you to the airport. As for the Holiday Inn in Mo. Bay - I wouldn't recommend it.
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 05:25 PM

In my experience the hassle described by the unhappy JA visitor is limited to MoBay, Ocho Rios and Negril. We just spent two weeks traveling all over the island and the only time I was ever approached to buy anything was in Negril, on the beach.<BR><BR>The parts of the island where there are fewer tourists do not attract the tourist hustlers....everyone we dealt with was just normal, friendlier than your average American, in fact.
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 06:55 PM

I just returned from Negril with my teenage daughter and we felt very safe. We walked to dinner every night along the beach and did not encounter any problems. We were approached during the day by vendors but we just said no thank you and they were not obnoxious. We walked into town and found nothing but friendly helpful people. She absolutely loved Negril and is begging to go back.
Old Apr 27th, 2003, 04:27 AM

The most wonderful, hassel free vacation I have ever had was to Negril. Going back again soon. DO your research and you can avoid most problems encountered by the earlier poster. Jamaican are wonderful people who are genuinely interested in vacationers enjoying their stay. Don't know about Sanals, but the Couples resorts are fabulous!
Old Apr 27th, 2003, 10:11 AM

Also, there are several known drivers that I am sure would meet you at the airport, if your resort is not providing a bus (which they usually do).
To locate a driver, just ask on the boards for recommendations. I know of two..one is Soloman and another is Tarzan.