Search

Negril or Montego Bay?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2005, 08:20 PM
Deblynn

Negril or Montego Bay?

Have decided on Jamaica for our 25th Wedding Anniversary. Want to stay at an all-inclusive that has a nice beach area. Considering Sandals @ Montego Bay or Negril, or maybe Couples Swept Away, Negril. It appears from the pictures we've seen the sand is whiter and cleaner at Montego Bay. Is that true. Any help please? Any all inclusives that the food is better than mediocre?

Old Jan 28th, 2005, 09:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would definitely go to Negril. I recommend Swept Away. The beach is clean and the water is calm and blue. The beach at Negril is much larger than Montego Bay. Couples Negril on Bloody Bay has a nice beach too.
Old Jan 29th, 2005, 05:02 AM

I agree totally with cartera. We were just in Negril (and Mo Bay) in August, and Swept Away is a very nice-looking property on a very pretty stretch of a beautiful beach.

I don't think it is easy to find an AI where the food is a highlight, so that is one of the reasons we don't stay at them.

Perhaps you can check out tripadvisor.com and see what other visitors to Negril AI's have to say about the food.
Old Jan 29th, 2005, 07:07 AM

Well, my vote would be for Sandals Mo Bay. Just to summarize it:
-The beach is huge
-The food is the best of all the Sandals that we've been to
-The drive from the airport is the best
Old Jan 29th, 2005, 07:58 AM

We were in Negril in May & loved it. At first we thought about Montego Bay because my husband had stayed there years ago. In the end we picked Negril & were glad we did. On the drive from the airport in Montego Bay he was amazed at the change. Everything was so crowded & commercial in Montego Bay. He had stayed at Doctor's Cave & was so glad we didn't decide to stay there. The main drag is crowded & noisy. Now if you are loking for a fast paced place to stay & want to be closer to the airport then Montego Bay might work best.

Negril is lots more laid back. There are lots of fun places along the beach to party but there is plenty of peace too. The beach is incredible. Swept Away is an excellent choice but have you thought of comparing prices to Moon Dance Villas? It is also on a nice part of the beach but you get your own villa with cook & staff so the food is made to order for you. My sis-in-law stayed there & raved about it. She said it was worth every penny. They have also been to the Bahamas many times & are familiar with different types of accomodations in the Caribbean. For them to rave like they did about Moon Dance says a lot.

We just recently had our 25th anniversary & my pick would have been either of the 2 places I mentioned.
Old Jan 29th, 2005, 03:52 PM

Negril by far is nicer....and much more romantic.
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 10:50 AM

Negril is much more romantic than MoBay and nicer overall by a wide margin.

If you want really good food, Grand Lido Negril is an upscale. I also very much enjoy Swept Away.

Stay away from Sandals.
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 01:34 PM

Does anyone know how much a week at moondance villas is ?
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 03:17 PM

www.moondancevillas.com

...for rack rates. I've seen it offered on luxurylink.com I think....
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 04:14 PM

I was on luxurylink the other day & didn't see anything but it does change. Keep checking. My sis-in-law had requested the 1 bedroom but when she got there it was still booked & they upgraded her to a 3 bedroom for the same price. These people do what it takes to make you happy. If you want lobster at every meal.. no problem. You & hubby can pick totally opposite things to eat & still no problem.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 07:35 AM

Check out Grand Lido Negril for an all-inclusive option. They have one outstanding French restaurant, Piacere, that is truly outstanding. The other resaturants are good too, but not quite gourmet. The beach is gorgeous there too.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 08:31 AM

Deblynn,
My husband and I went to Negril a few years ago and stayed at Grand Lido - It was fabulous! We spent the extra money and upgraded to a beachfront room with a private hot tub outside- we were literally 15 ft from the beach! (well worth the extra money) they have a french restaurant that we pratically ate every meal at! They have nightly shows and plenty of bars. The beaches in negril are one of the nicest we have ever seen!
The only downside to our trip was the customs line at the unairconditioned airport!
GOod luck
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 11:29 AM

Lido looks real nice,unfortunately I have two girls ages 13,14.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 03:39 PM

Cooper-
July is when we are traveling with our two girls, ages 13 & 15. We decided on splitting the time (10 days) all in Negril between Beaches and Rockhouse. Our girls want the ultra resort experience on Negril's beautiful beach and then we move to a little more secluded, relaxed spot on the cliffs where we can eat out locally. We have booked a couple of day trips with a local guide to get us out of Negril's tourist area to Treasure Beach-Black River and Mayfield Falls, SAV market and more ideas.

Maybe you should consider this?? I think it should give us a good balanced vacation - the best!!