Need advice on Jamaica resorts

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2004, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trying to decide if Jamaica is right choice for us, and if so Montego Bay area or Negril area. We do not want big resort, small/intimate/nice is more our style but close to things to do. I've looked at Jake's but it looks a little to hip? not very nice?? Rockhouse looks interesting, but no beach?? Need some resort advice!
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 12:17 PM

Jake's is fairly rustic but there are toher places to stay in Treasure Beach that are a bit fancier...we stayed at Mar Blue last year, extremely nice, only 3-4 rooms (owners live there) excellent meals, easy to walk the deserted beach, they ahve a pool, lots to do in the area.

Negril has some good beach options - Idle Awhile, Nirvana, Whistling Bird would be my picks.

Montego Bay doesn't do much for me, too busy, lots of tourists, cruise ships, etc.

Portland might be your style too, more laid back, fewer tourits, "faded elegance" small cove beaches, lots to do and lush lush lush mountians right there. See the trip report here by willem who just got back.
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 06:27 PM

I second Idle Awhile for location and style. Great restaurants nearby. You can use Swept Away spa and sports complex.
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 04:06 AM

I would post at www.negril.com to get some idea of places to stay & what it's like. Then you can better decide. We are headed there in May & can't wait. My husband has been to Montego Bay before & it is much more commercialized. Sister-law stayed at Moon Dance Villas in Negril & loved it. They have a great place to stay with cook, bartender & staff just for them. It is on the beach & near enough to all the nightlife. Very safe too.
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 06:46 AM

I'm a big booster of the Caves so click on my name and you'll find my previous trip report/descriptions, as well as my earlier post today which includes a link to a website with internet video from the Caves. Gives you a good perspective of the resort, particularly if you're considering Rockhouse.
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 02:22 PM

Do your self a favor and stay at Swept Away in Negril...we just got back 3 days ago. Awesome...now that's if you like quality healthy food, no disco into the late night(plenty of bars a mile towards Negril), fantastic beach, great staff, great rooms(1st floor Atrium). Mo Bay is a big city...it looks to me that the jets are taking off & landing right over most of the MoBay resorts, the van ride to Negril is nice & you get to see the counryside a little. Just over an hour ride, really no problem. Enjoy !!!Mark
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 05:28 PM

Gerry and I stayed at the Jamaica Inn in January of this year and would highly recommend.