Search

Negril....Need Help

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27th, 2003, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Negril....Need Help

Going to Negril in mid Nov and staying at the Treehouse. Would appreciate names of good, nearby restaurants and night spots.
Old Oct 27th, 2003, 01:33 PM

Good restaurants - Cosmo's is up the beach from you, The Boat Bar is casual and VERY GOOD, Kuyaba is more $$ and usually great, it's further down the beach.

My favorite bar/restaurant is on the cliffs, it's called 3 Dives and it's a great sunset alternative to the tourist hordes at Rick's Cafe.

There are several live music (mainly reggae covers) spots on the beach and they alternate nights so ask when you get there which one to go to which night.

As far as bars, just walk down the beach (to water and left) and stop at whichever ones look good to you...there are lots of them.
Treehouse itself is supposed to have a great breakfast buffet...I haven't tried it but friends swear by it.
Old Oct 27th, 2003, 05:12 PM

We had a good lunch of grilled snapper at Irie restaurant at Rondel Village. One of our best meals was at the Italian restaurant at Mariposa - I highly recommend this. Also heard good things about Normas at Sea Splash. I thought Kuyaba was overrated and also thought Charela was overrated and they were our most expensive meals. For nice meal, I would take cab to Rockhouse or Xtabi on the cliffs. Make sure you get patties from the beach patty man and for a great snack, get fresh fruit and homemade breads and cookies from the fruit stands along the beach - not the strolling fruit guys - they are a ripoff. If you want to know where all these places are, go to www.negril.com and click on "Where to Stay" and then "White Sandy Beach" for map.
Old Oct 28th, 2003, 08:06 AM

I forgot how tasty this cold seafood appetizer we had at Mariposa was...also some of the best service we've had.

Kuyaba was SO great, really worth the $, but just this last time we were a little disappointed as it was just fine, not great. Still, great ambience, especially if you get that table up in the tower by itself, and hopefully we just hit a mediocre night in terms of the food and service?

Anyway, I agree with cartera that Rockhouse is a nice treat, and I'd add LTU Pub also. Xtabi hasn't impressed me except the conch burger we had last year was pretty good...we had a so-so dinner there that cost more than I thought it should.

Margaritaville is close to Treehouse but if you want Jamaican food keep walking...they do a somehwat overpriced American menu.
Old Oct 28th, 2003, 11:54 AM

Norma's restaurant at SeaSplash is very nice...excellent food and on a deck right on the beach...about two hundred yards North of Margaritaville
Old Oct 28th, 2003, 08:02 PM

We really enjoy 3 Dives - great spot.

Rick's is fun to watch the divers - but way too touristy and way overpriced.

Also nice to check out the Rockhouse - very intimate place.
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 04:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the information. While checking the Negril forum I did note a lot of comments regarding personal safety issues. How safe is walking the beach or to the various spots provided?
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 06:24 AM

I was there in April with my 13 yr old daughter and we walked everywhere along the beach. We stayed at Coco Lapalm and walked all the way into town. We walked to dinner every night except we got a shuttle to Kuyaba and then walked home after dinner. We never felt threatened. There were plenty of people all along the beach, vendors and bars and restaurants all along the way. Everyone else I met that week also walked everywhere, except to the cliffs - you need a cab for that.
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 08:22 AM

We walk everywhere (beach, beach road, town) except after 11PM or so, then we take taxis (which are all over and very easy to get).

The main reason not to walk the west end/cliff road is because the road is narrow and has no shoulder or sidewalk.
Old Oct 30th, 2003, 05:22 AM

How did you like Coco LaPalm? My husband and I are heading to Jamaica in two days and will be staying at MoBays Half Moon Bay for a business function for four days. Then we thought that we'd venture to Negril and stay at Coco LaPalm for the balance of the trip. What might be the best way to get from MoBay to Negril. We hear that car rentals and bus transit are not the way to go there. It doesn't look like we'll have the greatest weather for the week!!!
Old Oct 30th, 2003, 08:21 AM

I'd hire a private driver to pick you up at Half Moon and take you to Negril...that way you can make a sort of tour of it if you like, or at least stop as you like along the way. There are a couple of waterfalls that would be easy stops, a bird sanctuary, and if you go the "back way" (to the south coast and west rather than west on the north coast) there's a very scenic hour or so as you cross over the mountains and go through sugar cane fields then some incredible south coast scenery. It's a little slower than taking the new highway but worth it...you can take the new highway back to the airport.

In other words, you could make that travel day into a really nice tour day.

I'd recommend Solomon Kerr at www.geocities.com/talkofthetowntours or Carolyn Barrett at www.barrettadventures.com both will ahve good ideas aobut things to do and both are very reliable and friendly.
Old Nov 1st, 2003, 09:57 PM

I really liked Coco Lapalm but try to get a room in the original hotel rather than the annexed Coco Inn. The staff was great, food just okay so don't do all inclusive. Beach bar great - great location. I think the bus shuttle is fine from MoBay - a little over an hour and you do get to see some of Jamaica that way. You can also take the short flight to save time.