Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

negril in august - a gross and rainy time of year?!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 08:24 AM
bill

I am planning a trip to Negril. I was hoping to go the first week of August, but have heard that it is hurricane season. Is it really hurricane season THAT early?! Would I be a fool to go to Negril this time of year? I really want to book something soon - but I want first-hand reports from people who have traveled there in August.<BR><BR>Thanks for your help!

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 08:31 AM
rainman

Hurricane season runs from June through November, with the peak of the season running late August through early October. <BR>You run the risk and have to decide if it's worth. I've done it and had good luck but I ALWAYS buy trip insurance.

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 01:28 PM
Penney

WE too usually go away to the islands in August and never had any bad weather - usually rains for a spell each afternoon but that is it. <BR><BR>Agree though to get the trip insurance.

Old Jan 18th, 2003, 05:57 AM
tivertonhouse

July-August are generally hot and lazy days in Jamaica with the far greater likelihood you'll need to jettison your umbrella for sunscreen -- and pack lots of it. Yeah, it's 'official hurricane season' on island, but the patterns lately have been rainy May-June and storm-rainylate Sept/Oct. I'd not fret.

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 11:39 AM
bill

Thanks for the feedback! I guess it's a roll of the dice, eh? But, yeah, I have also heard that August is more hot than rainy in Jamaica. What does the trip insurance guarantee?

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 01:46 PM
melhams

We went to Sandals in middle August 2002. Of the seven days we were there, there were small thunder shower five of them and they were always at 5:00 almost to the minute. It didn't hamper things for us at all. When the first sprinkle fell, we went in to our room, took a nap (the thunder sounds sooo great!) and when we awake the storms were always gone. <BR><BR>