Reload this Page >

Need travel suggestions

Search

Need travel suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 12:11 PM
Dave

Need travel suggestions

Hi, I'm in the beginning stages of planning a trip for myself and my girlfriend. I'm looking for somewhere unique to go. I can pretty much fly anywhere in the US, Canada, Carribean, Europe or Asia, and the airfare isn't a big problem since someone else is providing it. But I'm looking for a place that will be beautiful, exotic, and a good deal.<BR><BR>It doesn't have to be cheap, I would rather spend more money and have a better overall trip, but I just graduated college, and don't have a lot of money to spend on this trip.<BR><BR>Some places I was thinking of are Tahiti, Bermuda, Grad Caymans, Jamaica, USVI's, Rome and Venice.<BR><BR>Does anyone have any experience with these destinations, or suggestions of new ones? I was thinking of trying to stay closer to the US so that we can spend more of the time vacationing and less time traveling, so the 4-5 hour flight times to the carribean seem nice. Also, if anyone has specific suggestions on where to stay, I would be grateful for the information as well.<BR><BR>One other thing, this trip will be when I propose or just after, so romantic would be nice as well.<BR><BR>Thanks in advance for your help,<BR>Dave

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 09:54 AM
Nell

Hi Dave,<BR><BR>If money is no object I suggest you look at the Atlantis Resort in the Bahamas. It is a six star resort. It looks amazing, and I am hoping that I will be able to have my wedding there some day.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 12:58 PM
X

The Atlantis is very expensive (I think it's a rip-off) and it's far from romantic. Check into the Royal Hideaway in Playa Del Carmen, Mexico. It may be just what you're looking for.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 01:14 PM
Michelle

My rec. for most romantic would be Cap Juluca in Anguilla.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 01:41 PM
Theresa

I loved Moorea and Bora Bora. My best trip ever. Not tons of night life but beautiful and a wonderful experience.<BR><BR>

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 02:00 PM
Carolanne

Hi Dave,<BR>I like Anguilla, St. Barths and Virgin Gorda. You can go to www.wheretostay.com and look at all there is to offer. I do not suggest Atlantis, apparently Nell has never been because her post reads "it looks amazing". Believe me, very expensive and not worth it. Not in 5 star status.<BR>another helpful site is Travelhop.com.<BR>Have fun

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 02:29 PM
tivertonhouse

Some suggestions: Jamaica -- see jamaicaescapes.com for a full spectrum of possibilities off the beaten track and still appropriate for two women travelling. Would also suggest for exotica with a great expense but a greater r.o.i.: Buzios,Brazil,3 hours north of Rio;Praslin/La Digue islands in The Seychells;Essouira on the coast and Marrakesh inland in Morocco;Lamu off the Indian Ocean coast of Africa

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 02:31 PM
tivertonhouse

SORRY/misread,it for you and gf--recommendations still appropriate. Add a trip to Istanbul and a gulet/boat trip along the coast from Bodrum to Adana...

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 02:35 PM
mango

Definitely go for Rome and Venice (and while you're at it, go down the southern coast to Sorrento) or, somewhere you didn't mention - hawaii. Italy is just magnificent - although it is more of a tougher trip because you won't be laying around on beaches all day long. But it's definitely worth it. I've been twice and will go back again in the future if at all possible. If you go, make sure to eat the gelato (ice cream). <BR><BR>Hawaii is wonderful too. I like it much better than most of the caribbean islands - and it's way better than USVIs and even Grand Cayman in my opinion. I haven't been to Bermuda or Tahiti...I hear Tahiti is amazing but they've had some internal conflicts lately so you might want to check the State Department's website before you make a decision to go.<BR><BR>Good luck!

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 10:59 AM
Keely

As far as close to home, but I understand the problem. To us a nonstop destination is a must so we can get onto the beach right away. We spent our last two vacations at Swept Away in Negril and it was romantic with very lush surroundings and island-style accommodations, fabulous healthy food, and all kinds of extra services available such as couples massages, great workout and sports facilities, etc. etc. It's a popular honeymoon place and the thing we liked best about it is its laid-back atmosphere and absolutely no pushiness as far as participation. You can do as much or as little as you like. The beach in Negril is to die for.<BR><BR>If I were you, I'd also consider Villa Rolandi on Isla Mujeres in Mexico (Cancun is easy to get to from most U.S. cities, and from there it's just a ferry ride to Isla). Their web site is villarolandi.com. <BR><BR>I was in Anguilla many years ago and it has some of the best beaches I've ever seen. If you can get to the island without too much trouble, it's a great romantic place.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 04:59 AM
Sharon

We just returned from a 2 week trip to Austria and Switzerland and it was unbelievably beautiful (especially at 10,000 ft. near the Matterhorn, Salzburg, Lake Wolfgang Austria etc.). Although the flights to Europe are longer than the Caribbean it's really hard to beat Europe for romance. May I suggest an ultra romantic resort-villa with absolutely gorgeous grounds--go into Google and type out "Locanda dell' Amorosa, Tuscany"--close to Florence Italy. My son in law proposed to his wife in Venice Italy on a gondola and she said nothing could beat the romantic atmosphere. Good luck.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 05:11 AM
Sharon

Correction: If interested, go into Lycos and type out "Locanda dell'Amorosa, Tuscany" to get to website.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 11:02 AM
travelledsome

Europe: <BR>We have been to Italy, Austria and the Algarve (southern) Portugal. All unique and beautiful. Italy was my favorite.<BR><BR>As far as the Caribbean. We have been to Harbour Island, Bahamas..(it's so, so)the beach is the best part of that little island. <BR><BR>Bermuda...(although not the Caribbean)very gorgeous and romantic. Expensive<BR><BR>Hawaii: Big Island..beautiful resorts<BR>Wouldn't go back to Hawaii from the east coast only because of the long plane rides to get there. <BR><BR>Our favorite island: St. John, USVI. We got married on the beach and honeymooned there. We rented a villa and it was a wonderful experience. Gorgeous beaches, plenty to see and do.<BR>Breathtaking!!!!!<BR><BR>You really can't go wrong with any of those islands. All lovely and unique and romantic. <BR><BR>Europe is a whole different atmosphere romantic and full of history.<BR><BR>All these suggestions is just my personal opinion. So, Pleeeeeeeeeze no nasty comments from you few who love to "bash"<BR><BR>

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 04:47 PM
Nancy

If you want something unique, beautiful and exotic, Bora Bora and/or Moorea is the place. Bungalows right in the water! However, it is 8 hours from LA. <BR><BR>For a shorter plane ride....Cap Juluca in Anguilla. Incredible beaches, food and people.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 04:47 PM
Nancy

If you want something unique, beautiful and exotic, Bora Bora and/or Moorea is the place. Bungalows right in the water! However, it is 8 hours from LA. <BR><BR>For a shorter plane ride....Cap Juluca in Anguilla. Incredible beaches, food and people and romantic!