Reload this Page >

Bermuda, Riviera Maya, or Tahiti?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 07:16 AM
cdl

I am really confused about where to go for my honeymoon. I am reading a lot of these meassage boards and I am extremely overwhelmed. My options are Tahiti(which might be too expensive), Bermuda(or somewhere else in the Caribbean), or Riviera Maya in Mexico. Has anyone ever been to any of these places and is there one you can recommend? I am looking for beautiful beaches, lots to do as far as snorkeling and other water activities, good food, we would like to go out a couple of times but the night life is not really a priority. We would like something romantic and laid-back as well. If there is anyplace you can recommend I would really appreciate it!

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 07:24 AM
JC

Have you thought about renting a private luxury villa in Riviera Maya or the Caribbean? There are beatiful villas in St. John, St. Croix, Tortola, etc. where you can stay with pool, hot tub, all amenities and even hire a personal chef.

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 07:26 AM
Mary

If some nightlife is desired, you may be disappointed with Tahiti. While beautiful, it is extremely laid back. <BR><BR>I have not been to Bermuda but hear it's laid back as well. Not sure to what extent. <BR><BR>I've been to Riviera Maya and I think it has just about everything you're looking for. Since it's your honeymoon, I would highly recommend the Royal Hideaway in Playa del Carmen. It has wonderful food, service, and drinks for an all-inclusive. It's also romantic and beautiful beaches abound. Lots of activities including snorkeling are available. The nightlife at the resort itself isn't much but the town of Playa del Carmen is a few minutes away by taxi where there are all sorts of choices. <BR><BR>It's probably the most expensive resort in the Playa area but probably still less than Bermuda and definitely less than Tahiti. Mexico is a great bank for the buck.<BR><BR>Good luck and congratulations!

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 08:26 AM
eileen

2nd the vote for Royal Hideaway it is a wonderful resort and a really good value. Bermuda is beautiful but you will find it more expensive, also depends on when you are going as Bermuda is not exactly beach weather from October - May. The real negative about Tahiti in my opinion is the travel time. You may be exhausted after your wedding and not want that long trip. If you are on a budget Royal Hideaway is the best value for your money. Make sure you get the luxury oceanview category if a view is important because there are not that many oceanview rooms. If you are looking for a fabulous beach and absolutely incredible accomodations, you might look at Point Grace in Turks and Caicos. Best beach and rooms I have seen. It's a very quiet destination, though.

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 10:04 AM
Nancy

Advise not to go to Tahiti. If you want to go to the South Pacific, Bora Bora and/or Moorea are your best choices. Yes, it is very expensive, but worth every penny! Never been to Bermuda, so can't comment. Visited Riviera Maya when we stayed in Cancun. Beautiful beaches, but not sure about the resorts. I think most of them are AI, but I could be wrong. Personally, I don't like AI's, but lots of people do. If you can afford the South Pacific, definitely go, if not, I would suggest Turks and Caicos, St. John, BVI's, St. Barts and especially Anguilla. Just my opinion.

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 12:27 PM
Beth

I have only been to Bermuda of your three choices, but my husband and I would highly recommend it. We visited in July 2000 and have been looking for a chance to go back ever since. It was beautiful, clean, not crowded. We actually had the beach to ourselves a couple of times! However, everything is expensive.

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 04:00 AM
ML

Bermuda! Especially for a honeymoon,<BR>we have been 4 times in the past 6 years, but we also travel to other places. There is just something special about Bermuda. We have stayed at the Southampton Princess , but like the Hamilton Princess in town for convenience. Rent the scooters for a few days and see all of Bermuda. <BR><BR>

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 07:16 AM
Nancy

Dear CDL:<BR><BR>Where do you live, when are you getting married and how long is your honeymoon? These are important when making your decision. Bermuda has a winter season when it is not nearly as nice as the other seasons. If you have less than 10 days for your honeymoon, the flight time and jet lag for the South Pacific may make this an unattractive option.<BR><BR>If you can provide more details, you may get more specific advice.<BR>

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 03:53 PM
decisions

St. John would be my vote. Bermuda second. Both are gorgeous. St. John because you have luxury villas to choose from and you can rent a car. Also, you can charter a boat to go to the BVI's. <BR><BR>You won't be bored on St. John. We wished we had gone for 10 days instead of 7 days.\<BR><BR>Check it out. Very lovely place.

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 04:21 PM
xxx

Bermuda is not in the Caribbean so beach weather can be iffy if you go too early in the spring or too late in fall to capture their warm weather season.

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 06:48 PM
Vivian

Scoreboard so far (as best as I can tell):<BR>Mexico:3<BR>Bermuda:2<BR>Caribbean:3<BR> Tahiti:1<BR><BR>Bora Bora is the best, most romantic honeymoon spot in the world if nightlife and food are not big priorities.<BR>Bermuda is very classy and safe and beautiful (but who would want to stay at the Hamilton Princess for a honeymoon?) and in winter is not a good option.<BR>I'm not personally a big fan of Mexico, but for the dollar, you get great beaches, warm beautiful water, and nice resorts. Just be careful about enteric illnesses. They can really ruin a trip in a big hurry (have learned that lesson the hard way).

Old Dec 7th, 2002, 03:20 PM
john

HI , Just to answer you question on Bermuda, <BR>I live here in Bermuda, For night life everything happens in town a Hamilton thursday friday saturday. Sunday night Henry VIII is the best place for eneteraintment and starts after 10pm. This is wgwrre the locals hang out. Depending on the time of year. Bermuda is relax but also cvan be very romantic with the pink sand beaches along the south shore. Resturants thorughtout the island are great. Access from New York, Boston, Atlanta, london, canada are all direct.<BR>I would recommend coming to the island <BR>Jan Feb March April are good months for golfing water temp is low 70, May JUne water temp is 75, july august september humdity and watertemp 84, My favorit emonth is october, no humidity but great water temp of 82.<BR>