Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

help with newbie, honeymoon, looking for seclusion :)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2011, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey there, I am so new at this, but I'm looking for a honeymoon getaway for may/june. Neither of us have ever imagined doing something like this. Which basically means up until 2 days ago i was ENTIRELY clueless haha at anything involving the Caribbeans. I've been absorbing a lot about island location, I read alot about the flat arid beaches offering that ideal white sand etc...and the more moist, rain forest places (St. Lucia, Antigua, more west Indies? offer that natural beauty) I think as long as there is a beach that is beautiful I'd really like the natural beauty aspect volcanoes, mountains, rain forests, and beach...that sounds heavenly.

I want to preferably look at something all inclusive or something that would balance out if we paid for meals. My budget is small 3,000 or a little over, considering we have to pay airfare. I think we both ageed that 4 nights at a place we love would be better than staying at a rowdy resort for 7 nights. It doesn't have to be 5 star, haha, but something that feels like a cabin in the woods at the Caribbean.

So here are the things most important to me

-intimate feel, somewhat secluded. I've seen some built into hillside that are very private. I really don't want that resort style place with every activity imaginable, while it would be fun to do some things, like diving, snorkeling, hiking etc but when it comes down to it, the intimate feel and secluded living space FAR outweighs any activities. we're looking more for a romantic quiet get away as we are 2 single parents that have been raising young children on own own

-I LOVE the private plunge pool, or private out door jacuzzi idea. The idea of sunbathing or having our own place to sit in the water sounds romantic

-I also really loved some of the outdoor showers I've seen...I love the idea of bathing in nature

-I saw some that having simple yet tasteful furnishings like ti kaye village or la luna, Some have this rustic feel I can see myself drawn to

there are so many I've booked marked but I realized I could really use some direction from seasoned traveler and I have no idea as to all inclusive rates, and honestly am getting a sense of the islands but still feel way in over my head. Anything people could offer would be a huge help.

what are the best sites to book through for either flights included/all inclusive or flights/room packages, or separate flight booking sites and separate room/package booking sites. There are so many on the web, and I'm sure that some have a better reputation than others.
Old Jan 16th, 2011, 06:36 PM

Hi, congrats on your upcoming marriage. I was going to suggest LaLuna and then I saw you had already mentioned it, they are having a special for that time of year about $525/$625 a night including meals and I think they also have outdoor showers. Also take a look at Anse Chastanet in St. Lucia. Laluna is also on skyauction.com, take a look, it is worth bidding -- last year we booked a great trip at only 1/3 the rack rate. For a place that is less expensive but has the same kind of rustic feel with thatched roofs, take a look at Mahekal Resort in Playa Del Carmen, Mexico (the Caribbean coast) your budget will go much further in that region and airfare is less expensive as well. You also might check out luxurylink.com.
Old Jan 17th, 2011, 02:53 AM

Congrats!

www.runawayhill.com one of my favs for seclusion

Private B&B very romantic intimate on a perfect PINK

sand beach...

www.jademountain.com or similar St Lucia properties

for more upscale at lots more cost.

other good values www.luxurylink.com

Happy Hunting,
Old Jan 17th, 2011, 07:07 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
So the $3000 is to cover all expenses for 2-people, for 4-days on the ground (airfare separate and not included in the figure)?

I agree with the suggestion of the Mayan Riviera (into Cancun then down around the Playa del Carmen area) as an alternative to a Caribbean island. I think you'd get more bang for your buck there.
Old Jan 17th, 2011, 07:46 AM

not sure this would meet your standards as it is old style, but on jost van dyke in bvi look at sandcastle: http://www.soggydollar.com/
Old Jan 18th, 2011, 09:00 AM

Congrats on your wedding ... Grenada sounds like the perfect destination offering all the things that you have listed - can be booked via Expedia through the board of tourism's website: www.grenadagrenadines.com.
Old Jan 20th, 2011, 10:47 AM

I also agree about the Caribbean side of Mexico. We've been several times to that area and love it.

Playa del Carmen
http://www.mahekalplaya.com/
there are ruins, fab beaches, incredible food. And it's quite affordable.

A little farther south is an amazing secret....Tulum. Rustic and Romantic. Some places don't have electricity at night. Amazing!
Rustic. Outdoor soaking tubs.
http://www.azulik.com/villas.html

popular romantic spot
http://suenostulum.com/

large cabana at water's edge [I stayed in a different unit here] beautiful
http://www.cabanaslaluna.com/cabana1.html

more affordable but rustic cabana on beach.
http://www.tulumnv.com/en/bungalow-amor-eterno.html

You could easily do 5-6 nights with airfare for your budget. Look for specials.

Good luck and congrats.

Trish