Need to cancel our honeymoon

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2003, 03:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

to Sandals Antigua. We just bought a house and can no longer afford it. We are looking for something around $1500-$2000 including airfare. We want all inclusive because we don't want to worry about what our next meal will cost. We also just want to lay on a beach and just be with each other. We aren't picky people but we want a nice place to relax after all of this wedding planning and moving! Thanks in advance...
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 04:09 PM

My boyfriend and I just booked a trip to Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic for 7 nites all inclusive (meals and airfare) for a total of $1694.
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 04:15 PM

Try Merrils Beach Resort in Negril, Jamaica. All-inclusive for 2 people in a garden view room during summer will run you $135 a night, oceanview is $170 a night. Buffet meals only. Liquor at bar available as part of all inclusive btw the hours of 10am-10pm. The beach in Negril is awesome. It's the perfect place to just do nothing. Don't know where you're coming from, but airfare to Montego Bay is generally cheaper than airfare to most of the other Caribbean islands.

http://www.merrilsbeach.com/
Old Aug 14th, 2003, 06:44 AM

Look at Paya Del Carmen, Mexico. You can get good prices on a package deal (AI hotel and airfare) through Funjet, MLT, Apple, etc. Depending on your departure city and how long you want to stay, there will be plenty to choose from within your price range!
Old Aug 14th, 2003, 06:55 AM

I second Playa Del Carmen. DEFINITELY look into the Royal Hideaway resort. It is an AI and it a beautiful small resort. We went there for our 1year anniversary. For our honeymoon we went to Sandals in St. Lucia and were MUCH happy here. You definitely can't go wrong. As the previous post said look into Apple Vacations you can probably get a good deal through them. For us we flew from Newark to Cancun (3 hr. flight) on a charter flight. Then we were brought to the resort on an Air-conditioned van from the airport that took about 45 minutes to get too. I believe for 6 days/5 nights it cost us little over $2000. Good Luck! -Susan
Old Aug 14th, 2003, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so far everyone...Playa Del Carmen is definatley a possiblity. What about a 4 day cruise to the Bahamas?
Old Aug 14th, 2003, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

By the way...we are coming from Chicago
Old Aug 14th, 2003, 09:06 AM

I am not sure when you are traveling but I went to Punta Cana, Dominican Republice a couple of years ago and it was the most relaxing vacation I have ever taken. We stayed at the Paradisus which is one of the more expensive resorts (but still reasonalble). The resort was great beaches were the best I have ever seen (and have been to quite a few islands). It is an AI and the food was really good. Even diving was included, thought I heard it was ok not great. This might be worth checking out. There is also an adults only resort a little further up the beach. I think it is called Secrets.

I have also heard that the Royal Hideway was supposed to be great
Old Aug 14th, 2003, 09:11 AM

Don't know when you would be traveling, but my sister and I just returned from a 3 night cruise to the Bahamas (Royal's Sovereign of the Seas) and including a night at a Holiday Inn Express precruise, air from Chicago and the cruise - cost for the both of us ran about $1150. This itinerary includes a stop at Royal's private island so you would have an entire day to just lay on the beach.
Old Aug 14th, 2003, 10:00 AM

Look into Apple vacations for their sizzlin specials. From our own experience try Puerto Aventuras in the Mex. Riviera. They are a 3 apple but why I do not know because we thoroughly enjoyed it there. All was cool. At any rate you should find something in that price range.
Old Aug 14th, 2003, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again everyone. cruisin tigger...I was looking into the sovergein of the seas today. How was the boat? Were the rooms really small? How about nightlife and food? I would appreiciate any other comments.
Old Aug 14th, 2003, 02:49 PM

Sounds like you are leaning towards a cruise. That would be within your budget and the food is 99% of the time great. If not the other ideas work fine. DR is a very relaxed place, I stayed at Punta Cana and the beaches were nice. PDC also within your budget.
Old Aug 14th, 2003, 03:53 PM

About the cruise: Consider this if you do not want to think about what things cost and that is all the hidden expenses with a cruise including the drinks, lots of pictures, the temptation of so much duty free goods on board and last but not least the tips for the steward and waiters. it does add up to alot more than what you may think at first. Then there are the shore excursions as well.
Old Aug 14th, 2003, 04:01 PM

Frankly I think $ for $ your best bet for an AI vacation is in the D.R... is much better than Playa de Carman.. Punta Cana is great.. and you defnetely can find a facility for that price range or bettter depending on time of the year.. Check out..http://www.debbiesdominicantravel.com.
Old Aug 14th, 2003, 04:18 PM

ParrotMom, why do you recommend DR over Playa del Carmen. What aspects did you like better ?
Old Aug 15th, 2003, 05:41 AM

eringo00: we had booked the cheapest inside cabin - no window and yes, it was small, but doable. We had a room that had three beds, so it was easier space wise, as we put our suitcases on one of the beds and then my sister slept on the upper bunk. I only ended up putting about $200 on my shipboard account and about $100 of that was for excursions and our round trip bus transfer to the port. And speaking now, I would skip the snorkel excursion from the boat - it was very poor snorkeling. If you have your own gear, you can snorkel all you want for only $6 on CocoCay (they make you rent a snorkel vest). Otherwise, I think it was $28 if you needed all the snorkel gear. Cococay had awesome snorkeling. We also rented an all day raft for $8 which was so nice to use just floating on the water all day. The lunch provided on CocoCay was good too, burgers, hot dogs, ribs, salads, etc. Not fancy, but tasty.

You can go overboard on the drinks, photos, etc., but it is very easy to stay on a budget - like the martini bar has happy hour from 5-7 and top shelf drinks are $3.95, plus they put out a little cheese tray and some hot appetizers which actually turned into our dinner one night.

We did tip our room steward, but never ended up going to the dining room to eat (just did buffets) so did not tip waiter. Food was good - typical buffet style. I'm not picky so anything that I don't have to fix myself is fine!

We also like to fly down the day before to avoid any plane delays, etc. and got a room at the Holiday Inn Express Orlando Airport for $48. Included continental breakfast and free happy hour from 5-7. Tiny drinks, but you could go back many times and they put our a pretty good spread of snacks.

Sovereign is not a top of the line cruise ship, she is showing some wear, like some stains in the carpet, etc., but what can you expect for as much sailing and as many passengers as there are. In my opinion it was a great vacation for the price we paid.
Old Aug 15th, 2003, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks cruisin tigger, that really helps....I have been hearing a lot about Punta Cana too. Does anyone have any AI suggestions in the price range I'm looking for?
Old Aug 15th, 2003, 11:45 AM

As you are in Chicago look into, believe it or not, the Costco buying club, you know, the club like Sams. We used there travel club for our cruise las mo. and they beat everyones price. Also used them 2 yrs. ago for Fiji and they absolutely kicked butt!