Honeymoon AI Resort Help...

Dec 17th, 2007, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

Honeymoon AI Resort Help...

Hello,
My fiance are traveling from Charlotte, NC to the Carribbean on our honeymoon at the end June 2008 for 6 to 7 days. I'm trying to select a nice all inclusive resort in the 3K-4K range that's not a giant mega resort. We'd like a place that has adults/couples only, good food, nice rooms and somewhere we can get out and do a day or two excursion. I've narrowed it down to Aruba, St. Lucia and maybe Punta Cana, DR Can you make any recommendations on resorts and/or another island I've not considered that meets this criteria with an AI resort. Thanks all!
Dec 17th, 2007, 12:28 PM

one quick question: does your budget of 3-4K include airfare? If it does not, you will have a much wider range of possibilities to choose from.

Check out Couples Swept Away in Negril, Jamaica, for a place that tends to get only raves.
Dec 17th, 2007, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

My budget does include airfare

Thanks
Dec 17th, 2007, 12:38 PM
KVR

In Aruba look at the Divi and the Tamarijn. Most people recommend the Tara Suites at the Tamarijn for a honeymoon. Aruba has tons of very nice restaurants in all price ranges, and the Island is very safe and easy to get around, so there aren't many AI hotels there. The Amsterdam Manor just started a AI plan, but I thought the price was way over the top for an AI. It was like $1,700 for a week stay. I wouldn't pay more than around $900 for a week for an AI plan.

In St. Luica, look at the Rendezvous, The Body Holiday at Le Sport, and Jalousie Plantation. There are also the 3 Sandals properties. We stayed at The Sandals Grande. I don't think it will fit your budget. I have a hard time recommending Sandals in St. Lucia as we didn't feel we didn't get our monies worth and thought the food and service was pretty bad. If we ever get to return to St. Lucia, I would look into Ladera. I just love the smallness of the resort with the open rooms and private swimming areas.

If St. Lucia is out of your price range, look at Jamaica. Sunset at the Palms or any of the Couple resorts. I would stay at the Sandals Dunns River in Ocho Rios, but not interested in any of the other Sandals properties in Jamaica.

Can't help much with DR, but you'll have a challange finding a non-Mega resort that is an AI. Most people recommend Excellance Punta Cana, but it get lots of complaints about the beach being to rough to swim in and it's located in the middle of nowhere. If that doesn't bother you, check it out.

Also look at Playa del Carmen, MX/ Rivieria Maya. We stayed at the Royal Playa del Carmen and it was great. Other resorts that get recommendations included Secret Capri, Royal Hideaway, and The Iberostar Grand Parisio
Dec 20th, 2007, 10:21 AM

With your budget you will get more bang for the buck in Cancun/PDC/Riviera Maya.

Check out the Royal resorts and perhaps Sun Palace. They would meet your needs.