Search

Honeymoon Help!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 2011, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honeymoon Help!

Hi, my fiancee and I are trying to choose the best place to go on our honeymoon. We are in our mid 20s, so we would like to have entertainment/nightlife, but also enjoy beautiful beaches.

We're definitely looking to do an all inclusive resort, and have a medium sized budget. We've initially narrowed it down to Aruba and St. Lucia. However, we are open to other suggestions, as well.

Any help you all could provide to us on where to stay, on what island would be greatly appreciated!
Old Oct 5th, 2011, 07:07 AM

Welcome to Fodor's, and congratulations!

We love to help here, and we can do that best when you give us as much specific information as possible.

Where are you flying from?
In dollars, what is your budget? Does that include flights?
How many days are you planning for?
What kind of activities are you hoping to do?
Where have you been before, and what did you like/not like about those places?
Are you firm on all-inclusive (AI) or would you consider some place that fit your other criteria but isn't AI?
What factors are most important, and what can you compromise a little on? (White sand? Easy flights? Big resort? Lots of activities?)

Let us know, and in the meantime, there are plenty of other threads on here asking the same question, so you can do some searching and find out what others have already been told, that might help you.
Old Oct 5th, 2011, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help!

1.) Flying from Atlanta
2.) Budget is about $5k-$5500 USD. Yes, this includes flight.
3.) 6 Nights
4.) We'd like to go on a sunset cruise(catamaran); we also really liked the idea of seeing the rain forest, volcano etc. in St Lucia
5.) I've never been to the Caribbean before, so I'm not too snobby about it(not yet)
6.) We're firm on AI; I'd like to have a good idea of how much money we're going to spend
7.) Some things we can't compromise are quality/luxury of resort; cleanliness; pool and beaches;

Thanks again for your help.
Old Oct 6th, 2011, 06:19 AM

That's a good start!

I would first look at the cost of flights from ATL, so you can subtract that from your budget and know how much you've got to spend on your hotel.

You do have your passports, yes?

You mentioned Aruba and St. Lucia in your first post -they are miles apart in geography - you're not going to get the lush green in Aruba.
Old Oct 6th, 2011, 08:01 AM
KVR

There are a limited number of AI's in Aruba and St. Lucia.

Having been to both, and as much as we love AI resorts, I find it very difficult to recommend AI in Aruba. Aruba has tons of great restaurants and bars and part of the vacation experience there is trying as many as you can. Addtionally, the hotels in Aruba charge an excessive amount for their AI plans. You can eat out much less expensively than buying an AI plan.

If you still want AI, look at the Divi and Manchebo on Eagle Beach. They get the better reviews. The RIU and Occidental on Palm Beach and are more of your typical AI resorts.

Another alternative is to check out the Radission on Palm Beach. The usually offer free breakfast and an $200 alcohol credit.

We found the costs of flights to St. Lucia quite expensive. Other than the 3 Sandals resorts, there are not many AI hotels there. Look at the Rendezvous and Jalousie. St. Lucia is a gorgeous Island, but you're really not going to find nightlife/entertainment or the typical white sandy beaches there.

You might also want to consider Jamaica. It has similar topography to St. Lucia, but much less expensive and a better variety of AI resorts. The Couples resorts get great reviews. Look at Sunset at the Palms in Negril also. We've been to Negril and are staying at the Jewel Dunn's River in Ocho Rios in December. That resort is greating really good reviews.

Also consider the Riveria Maya of Mexico. Plenty of lux AI resorts to consider and things to do off property. You will get more hotel for your money there. Look at Iberostar Gran Parisao, Secrets Maroma, El Dorado Maroma and the Royal Playa del Carmen for starters. Resorts closer to 5th Avenue in Playa del Carmen are better for the entertainment/nightlife you are looking for.