Search

Need some help please!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29th, 2008, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some help please!

I'm planning a vacation for my husband and I in April. We will be flying out of Baltimore for 5 nights and would like to go somewhere that is not too far to fly. We want something on the ocean, luxurious, AI maybe, beautiful beach. The budge is around $4000 including airfare. I was thinking of getting a travel agent because I'm not sure where to start. I was thinking the usual Bahamas, Bermuda, Mexico. At a quick glance I did see the Grand Isle Resort in Exuma. Any suggestions I would appreciate. Feel free to ask me some questions for anything I may forgot to include.

Thanks!!!
Old Oct 29th, 2008, 10:38 AM

Look into Turks and Caicos. Its a quick flight from the east coast (don't think there is a direct from baltimore). There are some beautiful hotels (somerset, the palm, etc etc), nice dining options and Grace Bay beach is one of the best beaches in the caribbean. I would not go AI on Turks.
Old Oct 29th, 2008, 11:54 AM

hi india, your cheapest flights are to cancun $900 7 1/2 hrs. or jamaica - montego bay, for $800 in 3 1/4 hrs.
both have plenty of all-inlcusives to offer. both offer tons of activities.
bahamas would be great but the weather will be still be a bit cool, as will the ocean temp. if you want to snorkel or swim much i would look at jam or mexico.
or you can fly to grand cayman for around $1050. there are several nice resorts on seven mile beach. no all-ins but good access to plenty of restaurants.
if you think you'd like mexico look at www.locogringo.com for tons of info. you can see the beaches - when you look at a resort click on the tiny airplane near the bottom of the page.
on jamaica you might look at round hill and i know there is at least one other resort with villas but i can't recall the name.
it will help us help you if you can give us some idea how you'd like to spend your days. how important is dining? and do you want nightlife?
Old Oct 29th, 2008, 12:48 PM

For a short trip via BWI (or IAD or DCA -- they are pretty similarly priced), I typically suggest Puerto Rico. Air will run you under $1000 for the two of you, which leaves you plenty of budget to choose a lovely hotel. You can stay in one place, or divide your visit between a couple of places. San Juan has some luxurious properties right on the beach in Isla Verde (the Ritz Carlton, for example, would fit your budget, especially after 4/15). You might also consider staying on the west coast in Rincon at the Horned Dorset, or on the east coast, at El Conquistador. In none of those cases would I suggest going AI, as the dining in Puerto Rico is great.

How about going a little off the beaten path? Consider Belize, where you can get flights from BWI that will get you into Belize City by mid-afternoon for around $400 apiece round trip. The beaches are not the stuff of fantasy, but it's a wonderfully diverse destination that includes watersports, history, and laid back ease in an English-speaking country. There are some rather high-end properties on the water that might suit -- Cayo Espanto on Ambergris Caye, and the Inn at Robert's Grove in Placencia come to mind.

Finally, I don't agree with the assessment that the Bahamas are too cold in April. March, yes, but by April, I'm jumping in the water. If Exuma intrigues you, go for it! Not only is there the Grand Isle Resort, there is also the Four Seasons. Exuma is pretty remote, so if you're looking for fine cuisine, you might consider AI at one of these higher-end properties.

Truth be told, you haven't really given us much to narrow down your options. There are dozens of luxurious properties in the Caribbean, and April is a great time to visit them (especially after 4/15, when rates go down). Baltimore -- which is my home airport -- as well as DCA and IAD, have become less convenient of a jumping off point than even just a year ago, with AA dropping its non-stop service to San Juan (the gateway to much of the Caribbean). However, it looks like Air Tran is offering service to SJU, and AA and other carriers continue to offer nonstop service to FLL and MIA, which are gateways to the Bahamas. Your budget is fairly generous for a 5-day trip, so there are lots of places you could go.
Old Oct 30th, 2008, 04:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for the wonderful responses. The beach is important, we would like beautiful turquoise or clear water, warm/hot weather, snorkeling, some night life, a variety of dining options and safe. Virginia you mentioned 7.5 hours to Cancun? That's a long flight. I have heard that Grand Cayman is expensive. I had never even considered Puerto Rico, now that's an option. I would love to go to T&C but I thought that would be a long flight and very expensive, I'll check that out. I've considerd Belize in the past but if the beach is not great, my husband would not approve.
Old Oct 30th, 2008, 10:35 AM

The 7.5 hours to Cancun mentioned above is probably with a connection somewhere. Have you checked what nonstop flights are available from BWI? That may factor into your decision.

I've only been to San Juan and not elsewhere on Puerto Rico but San Juan doesn't have the turquoise water/white sand that you'll find in Cancun or Grand Cayman if that's what you're looking for.

Belize has turquoise water, excellent snorkeling and white sand. However, the beaches tend to be shallow and often there's sea grass when you first enter the ocean so most snorkeling is by boat, not walk-in unless you stay on one of the outer cayes on the reef but the latter are mostly one resort islands so no dining options, no nightlife. Your best bet for dining options and nightlife in Belize is probably San Pedro/Ambergris Caye as that's the most developed beach destination.
Old Oct 30th, 2008, 10:58 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I'll agree with Grace Bay,Turks & Caicos. We fly from Charlotte in 3 hrs.--that's not too long, is it?

There is a great variety of condo-type resorts in a variety of price ranges.

The restaurants are excellent, and from our resort(Ocean Club West) we could walk to approx. 10 restaurants, so no need for a car. Some restaurants are pricy, but we also went across the street for hamburgers or pasta type dinners that were very reasonable.

Since we had a lovely condo with a great balcony, we did light breakfasts and snacks at home.

The beaches are outstanding, and we've been to most islands.

Check out www.VRBO.com for some really nice places at good rates. Ocean club West may be too pricy for you, but there are plenty of alternatives on that gorgeous beach to choose from.

The most reasonable prices on the beach are in Mexico or the Dominican Republic, but they don't compare to Grace Bay. Since you are only going for 5 days, T&C is close and you'll never forget that beach.

www.oceanclubresorts.com(Ocean Cub West) is where we stayed and will return to in March.
Old Oct 30th, 2008, 11:11 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I'll also add, the flights from Charlotte run about $700 rt each. Should be similar from Baltimore I would think.

Check Expedia.com, Orbitz.com, etc.
Old Oct 30th, 2008, 12:13 PM

american flies through miami to provo, t&c in 6 hrs - one stop. excellent restaurants, unreal gorgeous beach with almost tourqouise water. the condo hotels are great, most are well within your price range. a very safe island!!
to cancun: us air goes through charlotte in 5 1/2 hrs for $1200/2
delta is cheaper but the connections are awful. planes go to boston then cancun, the return makes 2 stops. some places are just plain hard to get to from a given departure city, and it's getting worse. plus most of the resorts and 45 mins to and hour south. cozumel involves a ferry ride. i would not stay IN cancun > big city. so perhaps mexico when you have longer to stay.
as for grand cayman: (5 hrs through charlotte)ritz =$459-1000/night, marriott $325-415/night, westin $450-620/night, hyatt $650-1450/nt, grand caymanian $415/nt. these are the most expensive hotels and i used dates before the 15th of april.
Old Oct 31st, 2008, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again for all your feedback. I will definitely check out Turks and Caicos. I cannot swim so I won't be going out too far into the water. I had also thought about Cabo San Lucas. I'll continue to read all your responses before making my final decision.
Old Oct 31st, 2008, 10:37 AM

The water temperature will be brisk in Cabo in April.