Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Where to stay for a romantic getaway without kids in Puerto Rico?

Old Oct 11th, 2012, 05:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Husband and I are planning a romantic getaway for a few days in February... Will be leaving the kids ip with in-laws in FOrt Lauderdale and flying from there. Thinking of going to Puerto Rico since we've never been...
Questions:
1. Should the weather be warm enough to swim in the ocean in Feb?
2. Hubby is a dive master... Is there good diving?
3. Last and most important, where should we stay? Our budget is around $250 per night, pref. including breakfast but we can go up to low $300s if we feel it's worth it... Basically, we want a relaxing p and romantic getaway that we wouldn't be able to do with kids... This includes going out and trying different restaurants, doing some sight seeing, hitting a spa (for me), going diving (for him) and mostly relaxing
Any advise would be really appreciated!
Old Oct 11th, 2012, 06:07 AM

Diving in Puerto Rico isn't the best. Not sure what you can get for your budget, which seems low for February; hotels in Puerto Rico are really expensive for what they offer (be careful of resort fees, especially at the major brand resorts). The water will be warm enough in the Caribbean for swimming; it's always warm enough for swimming in the Caribbean. Though San Juan is actually on the Atlantic, and the water will be cooler there than elsewhere.

If it's a really short trip, then it's difficult to get out of San Juan, but you might look at Vieques. At least you can fly there direct from the airport.
Old Oct 11th, 2012, 06:50 AM

pr is not particularly known for diving.
islands that are known for diving include grand cayman, turks & caicos, bvi, bonaire. obviously the further south you go the warmer the water.
from fll:
you can fly spirit nstp for under $300 to st. thomas, usvi & easily ferry into bvi.
on tortola you might like http://www.longbay.com/#
http://www.sugarmillhotel.com/
http://sebastiansbvi.com/bvi/default.aspx
or on virgin gorda http://www.nailbay.com/
tiara air flies to bonaire $460 2stps -5hrs. has some dive oriented resorts which would be convenient for hubby, but some say these can be a bit boring for nondivers as the cocktail conversation usually revolves around the days sightinigs.
cayman & t&c are all day flts & are fairly pricey to stay or eat.
another option is maya riviera, mex. cancun on spirit or jetblue nstp around $400. really good diving. tons of resorts.

you should find spas no matter where you go
good sightseeing in bvi or mexico.
can't help with pr as i've only been to the airport
Old Oct 16th, 2012, 05:00 AM

The west coast of Puerto Rico (particularly Rincon), where it faces the Caribbean, may appeal to you. The water will be warm enough for swimming in February. Rincon Of The Seas or Tres Sirenas Inn are both nice accommodations in this area which are in your price range. Rincon Beach Resort is also nice, though it is actually slightly south of Rincon in the town of Añasco and slightly removed from what Rincon has to offer. The Horned Dorset Primavera is in Rincon and is probably one of the best hotels in all of PR but I believe the rates are outside of your price range. You may want to double check, though. Good diving can be found in Rincon: you can dive at Steps Beach, which is in Tres Palmas marine reserve. One caveat is that, in February, the water at Steps may be too rough for diving as this is during wave/surfing season. There is also good diving off Desecheo Island, which is 12 miles off the coast of Rincon. Taino Divers, a dive shop in Rincon, offers dive trips to Desecheo daily. Getting to Rincon is a lot easier if you fly into Aguadilla, the airport on PR's west coast. However, there are no nonstop flights to there from FLL (you would have to leave out of Orlando). You can definitely fly to SJU from FLL and rent a car and drive to Rincon; it is about a 2-2.5 hour drive.
Old Oct 16th, 2012, 01:38 PM

I have similar questions, except that not interested in diving. I'm looking at the Rincon in late January but wonder if the surf will be too rough for me to swim--not a rough water person at all. mimilou, any thoughts?
Old Oct 17th, 2012, 08:54 AM

Corcega beach in Rincon (on the Caribbean side of Rincon, south of Tres Palmas) is nearly always calm, even in winter when the other beaches are rough. There is also the possibility that you may be able to swim at other beaches if you happen to get there during a flat spell, but chances are in late January there will be at least some rough days during your stay, so swimming at Corcega would be your best bet.