Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Need helping figuring out St. Thomas resort "mystery"

Feb 20th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

Hi! We're heading to St. Thomas in about six weeks and trying to get a good deal on a nice resort for 2 nights (bulk of the trip will actually be to St. John, but need to end at St. Thomas to catch a flight back). I found a good rate on a consolidator site but of course the property name is not listed. My hope is that there aren't too many places that fit this description:

* 3.5 start beachfront resort
* Pool and fitness center on site
* Tennis within walking distance
* At least one restaurant on the premise
* "Access to a spa facility or services"
* Children's activity programs

Anyone who knows St. Thomas resort well: can you help me decipher which property this might be? I have a guess or two but feel like I might be missing other options.

Thanks!
Feb 21st, 2009, 02:31 AM
KVR

I have no idea what hotel that description may be referring to, but here's a list of the more popular hotels in St. Thomas:

Wyndham Sugar Bay
Bolongo Bay
Sapphire Reef
Marriott Frenchman Reef
Secret Harbor

The Best Western Carib and the Best Western Emerald Beach are 3* and very close to the airport and downtown.

Check out this site for more info and descriptions:

http://www.funjet.com/destinations/d...D&OAC=&plCode=
Feb 21st, 2009, 12:09 PM

We live on St Croix but can't identify the hotel on St Thomas however Wyndham Sugar Bay has a package on skyauction.com which you might bid on for two nights.
Feb 21st, 2009, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks KVR and HowardC. Will try to look into that. I've never used Skyauction.com. Any tips or words of caution?
Feb 22nd, 2009, 06:08 AM

I have used Skyauction and got some very good deals. The only advice I would give ,is to make sure you read the rules and restrictions. Also, there is a charge for taxes and fees that can add up to $300 per person or room to each item. Certain dates are restricted or add a surcharge.
Feb 22nd, 2009, 04:22 PM

Here's another thumbs-up for SkyAuction. But as mersingary says, be sure to check what additional charges you have to pay, either as a per night fee or a one time fee. It's also a good idea to phone the hotel/resort ahead of time to see if they have availability for auction winners.
Feb 23rd, 2009, 08:57 AM

Marriott, Wyndham, Ritz probably would not be called 3.5 star resorts. My guess is the second tier resorts which are fine for your one or two night stay: Bolongo Bay, Sapphire, Secret Harbor, Bluebeard's (no beach). Maybe Emerald Bay. Again, if the price is right then I don't think you can go too far wrong.
Feb 23rd, 2009, 10:45 AM

I have gotten some good deals on both Sky Auction and Luxury Link. Recently when to St Kitts for a four day get away. Bid on a package at a recently renovated AI (Formerly Jack Tar Village.) Won it for $164/night for two including food, drinks, taxes, service charge etc etc. Couldn't afford to stay home. On sky auction read the fine print. You have to add $32 to the bid price/night for service charge etc. If Sky auction books the dates you request and you have to change reservations there is a $75 fee. Also pay attention as to whether the auction is per night or per person.
Feb 24th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all for the info on SkyAuction. I looked into it and it doesn't look like check-in is allowed on our dates. Also it requires a 4 night stay so back to the drawing board. Any other suggestions for good sites to find discount rates on St. Thomas resorts?
Feb 24th, 2009, 12:45 PM
KVR

Try cheapcaribbean.com or beachdestinations.com