Maroma beach-has anyone been there?

Jun 5th, 2002, 05:19 PM
lynnete

Maroma beach-has anyone been there?

I saw on the Travel Channel's "World's Best" feature that Maroma Beach in Mexico was rated as the top beach in the world. I know it's near Cancun, but has anyone ever been there? If so, how was it-expense and overall experience. Thanks!!!!!!!!!

Jun 5th, 2002, 05:43 PM
Keely

Haven't been there yet but have written to the manager with inquiries and they responded pronto. Very friendly and honest about facilities I wanted but they lacked. Can't wait to go there one day. Love their site, maroma-mexiceo.com.

Jun 5th, 2002, 05:48 PM
salma

What facilities are they lacking?

Jun 5th, 2002, 06:18 PM
Sheila

Just returned - drove from Cancun to investigate Maroma & Ceiba del Mar. I was disappointed- I was expecting something much nicer. Its a quaint small place but seemed to miss something that made it a great remote place to stay. The quality of the water was not as clear as it looked on tv (it was horrible at Ceiba del Mar - wouldn't even consider swimming there!)Pool area very small and surrounded closely by trees and buildings (little daily sun).Maroma facilities are nice -only 36 rooms; nice patio/bar; Overall, facilities were ok. Wasn't looking for the Ritz but expected something better - very rustic feeling to me. Nice beach chairs and handful of huts on the beach. The beach was uninhabited to the north for 1/2mile or so but to the south was another resort. You might get traffic from them walking by but was pretty quiet when we visited at 5pm. Looked like a very quiet place - no late-nighters there! Need a car to go into Playa del Carmen (10-15minutes south)You can check out Maroma's rates at maromahotel.com (avg $400ish +food & 22%tax).If you want to visit, they charge $35/each to use their facilities. Overall, I was disappointed.

I hope somebody else speaks up that has stayed there - would love for something to change my mind.

Jun 5th, 2002, 07:29 PM
Keely

Salma -- They don't have a gym, though they told me they're planning to have their gym & spa finished by September. By the way, their room price includes breakfast for two and private chauffeur to and from Cancun airport.

Jun 5th, 2002, 08:22 PM
Traveler

Lovely botique hotel. Spartan furnishings in lovely rooms. Great beach and location. Name comes from the white caps that come from the wind that dances across the water so sometimes water not so calm. Staff excellent, food adequate. Hidden from the road and a trek into the resort. www.maroma.net has pictures and rates. It was nice, good for short stays but I would not return. Certainly, imho, not the best beach in the Caribbean. Pricey by Mexico's standards. Adjacent villas are luxurious. Some rooms definitely more attractive than others for location and amenities. 30 minutes or so to Playa for excellent dining. Nice spa facilities.