Marijuana......need advice!!!!!!!!

Sep 27th, 2002, 12:27 PM
kooer

Marijuana......need advice!!!!!!!!

I live in California and will be going to jamacia, caymens and cozumel in Nov. I have a medical marijuana prescription and was wondering if anyone had smoked while they were there??? I know Im legal while in Cali but not sure for the caribbean. If i offend people Im sorry. plz no negitive responses. THNX

Sep 27th, 2002, 03:23 PM
Joe

No Problem in Jamaica. Weed is cheap and strong. Don't smoke in public (i.e. on beaches) unless you are careful. Attitudes are very relaxed, and many people smoke. Best bet is to buy from the hotel staff. Any of the (male) hotel staff will help you out. At first you will be offered brown weed - be persistant, and they will break out with the good stuff. ..

Good Luck,
Joe

Sep 27th, 2002, 03:32 PM
kooer

so i can't bring my own with a prescription??? I was kinda worried about getting it there(didn't want to get busted)and plus were going on a cruise...so theres no hotel staff. Thanks for the info and let me know what you think about me bringing it myself.

Sep 27th, 2002, 03:45 PM
Joe

Why bother with the risk of brining it yourself. You can get it there, and it's even cheaper than you would pay in the states. Less risk buying it there than going through the airport with it.

Sep 27th, 2002, 05:20 PM
Bella

No need to worry - we were offered pot about 30 times by jamiacan stragelers, on our private resort at Jamaica - just follow them, pretend to be buying necklaces, and you're all set. If you're truly legal to smoke, bring a doctor's note just in case. no harm in doing that...

Nov 25th, 2002, 06:12 AM
Mike

Kooer,

Contact the US State Dept. If they can not assist, contact the US Embassy in Jamaica & the Caymens. They will have rules & laws... remember to write down all the names of people you speak to along with the date and time you spoke to them.

Good luck.

Nov 25th, 2002, 08:31 AM
elena

Sorry but you have to follow the laws of the country you're in...or the hollanders could come over here and smoke it on the street! Sounds like Jamaica's no problem, Mon, but Cayman willl toss you off the island and Mexico might shake you down for big $.
If you're on a cruise, bring your own,keep it on the boat, and don't try to bring any back. BTW, the jamaicans DO imprison americans who get caught--and the Counsulate will not help you if you violate local drug laws. Not worth it.

Nov 25th, 2002, 09:03 AM
Samara

Thanks for the advice on Mexico and Cayman, Elena. I guess I'll stay away from there... I've been to Jamaica numerous (7) times, and always enjoyed the great herb while there. As long as you're careful (smoke in your room or on a secluded beach) you will have no problem. They have a very tolerant attitude toward weed there (similar to Amsterdam, British Columbia, and some US States). It's part of a popular religion in Jamaica (Rastafarianism)...

Here's my question - are there other Caribbean islands that have similar attitudes toward weed? How about Antigua, or St John's. They seem nice, but can I get ganja there???

Thanks,
Samara

Nov 26th, 2002, 10:43 AM
Huh?

What US states have a tolerant view of marijuana like Jamaica

Nov 26th, 2002, 11:30 AM
FYI

Well...

There are a number of US states (New York, Vermont, California, Alaska, Washington, etc) that will only fine you ($100) for posession of less than 28 grams (anything less than one ounce). That's alot of weed, and the penalty is about as much as a speeding ticket... This is called "decriminalization", and occured in most of these states long before the current "medicinal marijuana" craze. There are other states (Ohio, PA, Alabama, Georgia, etc) that have much stiffer penalties for minor posession. Marijuana laws vary greatly from state to state, and are constantly changing in the US... The general trend in the US seems to be toward leniency - as is already the case in much of Europe and Canada...

As a matter of fact, marijuana laws are (technically) stricter in Jamaica than in much of the USA. The reality is that jamaican authorities have taken a "look the other way" stance, rarely making busts for posession. This is much like the view the Canadians have taken in much of British Columbia. If you do get busted in Jamaica for posession, you will most likely just be "slapped on the wrist" or given a "fine" (bribe). There are almost no cases of US tourists serving even minor jail time for "recreational" amounts of majijuana. Just don't try to bring any back with you - it's not worth the risk.

Just some food for thought

Nov 27th, 2002, 04:09 PM
Suzie

Bring Your Own ?! Are you crazy ? That's like visiting Jamaica and bringing your own coffee. Jamaica has some of the best ganja (and coffee) in the world. Those suggesting that individuals bring their own weed to JA (obviously) haven't tried the buds there.

Nov 29th, 2002, 09:08 AM
NotImpressed

Let me pose a simple question: Would anyone go to a foreign country...a third-world country...and purchase food or water from a local Joe wandering down the road? Would you be concerned about the ingredients? Would you be concerned about the possibility of eating something that would make you quite ill or, **shudder**, KILL you? My advice to you, kooer, is to use your California-prescribed toot script and smoke it in the US. I wouldn't take aspirin made in Jamaica.

Nov 29th, 2002, 11:18 AM
Mike

It looks a lot of people just didn't read the question.... the marijuana is actually a prescription, not for party purposes. The State Dept and embassies will know if a prescription is or is not allowed. The US Counsulate will help, they will advise if the prescription is recognized by the Jamacian Gov't. If the Counsulate says it is illeagal to bring it, or Jamaica does not recognize marijuana for medical purposes, then obviously, Kooer will have to leave her "special coffee" behind. The Counsulate will not/ can not help if a person is in violation of any law in a foriegn country.

You people have to read into the question rather then jumping to conclusions after reading the first 3 words.

Nov 29th, 2002, 11:41 AM
cayman420

You will have no problem getting ganja in Jamaica. I have always purchased from the cab driver or the wood carvers.
Depending on where you are, it's usually accepted to smoke in public (at least in Negril). As far as grand cayman, do not even try it. They are very strict regarding drugs. If you are cruising, you should bring some on board, just be very careful. I would not try to purchase any in the caymans.
Good luck and I'm sorry the world has such a small mind regarding the use of marijuana. I have had friends with cancer and it was their only relief.
Smoke out in Jamaica and enjoy!

Nov 29th, 2002, 11:48 AM
cayman420

Oh, just another thought.
The friend with cancer used to purchase her marijuana and slowly melt real butter and let the marijuana simmer for an hour or so. Be careful not to over heat. The THC attaches to the fat in the butter and she cooked everything with it and still got the relief from it. Just strain the marijuana and discard, then use the butter for everything else. Maybe this might be a good plan and a legal way to take it with you and eat on breads and crackers. You could also make cookies with the butter and take on board. You would not want to ever make cookies with marijuana, the texture would be terrible. I hope this tip works, maybe you have been given this advice before. Try it before leaving, if it works then you are set!!!! You could then explain to customs that it a self made face cream or purchase some type of food jar that you could clean and reuse.

Dec 9th, 2002, 12:59 PM
liza

Your Prop 210 card is no good outside California (and as far as the feds are concerned, it's no good IN California).

Marijuana is illegal in Jamaica and if you are caught with it, you will most likely be fined or you might go to jail - neither is really what you want on vacation, I think. Nonetheless, you'll be offered it all the time and quality varies considerably. Price is much lower than in the US.

Don't carry MJ to or from JA, that's just dumb.

As for Notimpressed's point....don't buy rolled joints, only buds - it's darn near impossible to add anything to MJ that way.