Loved Eleuthera Where Next?

Oct 21st, 2010, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

Loved Eleuthera Where Next?

We spent a wonderful 10 days on Eleuthera this summer. I have actually considered returning, but there are so many places to go and unfortunatly our travel budget is limited so we will probably try someplace new. We loved the empty beautiful beaches, great snorkeling and friendly people. Any suggestions about where I should start dreaming about traveling to next? Maybe another Bahama island? Thanks!
Oct 21st, 2010, 06:03 PM

there are so many gorgeous Out Islands in the Bahamas.

I loved the beach at Club Med San Salvador, with great snorkeling. It might the best beach of them all. Only 1 thing though, really about the 1 beach and staying at Club Med. I though I'd be bored, but it was terrific!

You can sometimes combine 2. For example Long Island with Cat island. I find the beach at Long Island to be nicer than Eleuthera's.

Abacos not really snorkel destination, but excellent beaches and good sailing.

Exumas are some of my favorite. Again, not the best snorkeling, but glorious strands of beaches (my opinion better than Eleuthera's)

Have you been to Harbour island? If not, split it with Eleuthera.
Oct 22nd, 2010, 04:29 AM

Eleuthera was my first Out Island, and it made me a lifelong Out Island afficionado. So, you won't go wrong choosing another Out Island (and blamona runs them down neatly); while they are all different, they share the same unique laid-back feeling, stunning waters, and beautiful beaches.

If you want a different experience (e.g. lush, hilly, green) but with the same welcoming and relaxed feeling, think about going further down island. One of my favorite destinations is Grenada -- it's got beautiful and varied beaches, rain forests, lush vegetation, and most importantly, a welcoming populace and limited commercial development. Similarly, Nevis is dramatically beautiful and lightly developed, but the beaches are not as good as Grenada's. Neither Grenada nor Nevis is much of a snorkeling destination, however.

If you want a similar beach experience, Anguilla and Barbuda offer beaches not unlike those in the Bahamas, but both tend to be pricier destinations.

For something really different, think about Belize. Great snorkeling and diving, affordable, off-the-beaten path, historically and ecologically rich and diverse, and a very friendly population. Here, you'll miss the beaches.

So many choices!
Oct 22nd, 2010, 06:38 AM

Been to eleuthera twice, exuma, long island and abacos. I would recommend long island if you want to make it a land based trip and drive around to get to beaches (similar to eleu but slighlty less developed). We love cape santa maria. Its at the north end of the island so there will definatley be driving involved to explore the rest of the island but that beach at the cape is beyond belief. Exuma is nice and has a few great beaches on the mainland but most folks like to boat over to nearby cays. The beaches on great exuma are not as plentiful as eleu but agree they are just as gorgeous as eleu. Abacos is a sailing destination as well. I would rate the beaches on Elbow cay slightly lower than Eleu/Ex/LI. Have not been to Cat but that looks amazing too...
Oct 23rd, 2010, 08:26 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the great suggestions. I will enjoy reading about all of possible desinations. I enjoy the researching almost as much as the trip! Does anyone have a suggestion on a great cottage on the beach, or with a great view at any of these locations?

Baloma-How do you get from Long to Cat Island? The idea of two islands, one trip is very appealing! We did vist Harbor Island when on Eleuthera. It was a fun day trip but we were very happy we stayed on Eleuthera instead of vice versa.

Callaloo- We were considering Belize before deciding on Eleuthera. The snorkeling seemed to require a boat to the reef. Is this accurate? I have done some reading about Grenada but the lack of snorkeling held us back. Do you know if there is any good snorkeling or just not as much? From the beach snorkeling is important to us.

mng-Driving around the island exploring is one of our favorite activites! We like to see everything possible at our destination!

Thanks!
Oct 24th, 2010, 04:53 AM

Cat Island has it's own airplane, that allows travel to Long Island without going back to Nassau, but you can combine what you want if you are willing to go back to Nassau.

http://www.majesticholidays.com/specials/specials.htm

Since snorkeling seems to be high on your list, I'd do a combo with Andros-the best snorkeling in the Bahamas. The other Out Islands are worse snorkeling than Eleuthera. (in my opinion) What they do offer is different experiences and better beaches.

My opinion again, but snorkeling in Grenada was just okay. If you want better snorkeling, go to Tobago Cays in St. Vincent and the Grenadines. However, the beaches are in coves, and exploring is by boat, these islands are small. They are completely different from Eleuthera, but they are absolutely stunning!

You appear to love quiet off the beaten path with geat snorkeling. You might also want to consider a combo of Grand Turk with Salt Cay in Turks and Caicos. Both are quiet, sleepy, the way Caribbean used to be, with the most beautiful turquoise you'll ever see.
Oct 24th, 2010, 06:45 AM

"Abacos not really snorkel destination"

We have spent two, 14 day holidays doing nothing but snorkel there. From the beaches and from hire boats. Saw everything but blue whales! ....and it is very underdeveloped, few tacky resorts, friendly/laid back. Greatest place on earth for us.

The only downside to us, was the food isn't the best in the world.
Oct 25th, 2010, 04:26 AM

In Belize, there is some snorkeling from the beach (e.g. around the piers), but the best of it is by boat. So it might not meet your needs.

The snorkeling in Grenada is not great except for Carriacou (which is technically a part of Grenada, but not easy to get to). If snorkeling is your priority, I would cross Grenada off the list. But both Belize and Grenada have plenty else to recommend them.

I would agree with the suggestion of Andros -- best snorkeling in the Bahamas. We did a combo trip just last year -- 4 days in the Exumas at Staniel Cay Yacht Club and 3 days in Andros at Small Hope Bay Lodge. It was a package offered in conjunction with Watermakers Air (based at Ft. Lauderdale Executive Airport), which makes connections between islands a no-brainer. Trip report here: http://islandtime.homestead.com/ExumaAndros09.html.

Snorkeling in the Turks & Caicos is outstanding as well.