cmcfong - tell me more about the Bahamas

Jan 11th, 2007, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

cmcfong - tell me more about the Bahamas

cmcfong - saw your comments on Man O War Cay used in the Fodor's Bahamas book this year. Am researching a trip to the Bahamas (sadly, not Bermuda) for this spring. Tell me more about your experiences. We are most interested in Andros and Eleuthera, but are being steered more towards the Abacos since we'll have the little fellow along. Maybe we'll do a couple of days in one place, then move to somewhere else.

Did a search for you and Bahamas, but did not come up with much. Do tell!
Jan 11th, 2007, 05:50 PM

Hi Cantstayhome. I topped my trip report from MOW and my review of Small HOpe Bay for you to check out. I like the Bahamas and have visited Andros, MOW, Nassau, Bimini and GBI. Most of my trips have been scuba trips. If I am there to dive that is pretty much all I will do. In my experience the out islands are much more pleasant to visit than Nassau, Paradise Island, and Lucaya. The water and beaches are gorgeous, the people are charming and it is a lovely way to spend a week. I would love to go to Eleuthera so it stays on the target list.
Do you sail? I think sailing between the islands would be a wonderful holiday.
Let me know if you have any questions you think I might answer. I will certainly take my best shot.
Jan 12th, 2007, 02:29 PM

Barging in here: can you tell me which of the Out Islands would be best not for scuba but for off-beach snorkeling? And where the most upscale lodging would be-- i.e.not "fancy," but wonderful (handsome, spacious, good bathrooms, good privacy, etc.)
Thanks!
Jan 12th, 2007, 07:52 PM

You are probably looking for Harbour Island for the better loding/restaurants/beach/snorkling/
scuba. One of the most amazing sites is a civil war train wreck, in about 30-50 feet of water off Eleuthera, makes for an amazing dive site a little more than 100 years later.

The nicest resorts on island are
Pink Sands www.islandoutpost.com
Runaway Hill www.runawayhill.com
Dunsmore Beach www.dunsmorebeach.com
Romora Bay
Rock House www.rockhousebahamas.com

Also try www.myharbourisland.com

There are 2 dive shops on island, Valentine's and Fox Dive and just about any of the water taxis will take you to an off island for the day for total privacy.

Hope this helps.
Jan 13th, 2007, 06:20 AM

Thanks so much for the detailed reply. We're not interested in taking boats out to islands or reefs. Only enjoy snorkeling when we can do it from the beach. Does Harbor Island have lots of beaches where that's possible? Of the resorts you mention, which might have the mnost extensive off-beach snorkeling? Thanks much!
Jan 13th, 2007, 07:48 AM

The island is very small so there is really only 1 beach and it's 3 miles long, of perfectly pink sand. There is a very good reef just off shore and is easily swimable (friends have done it)

You might take a look at some of the websites I gave you to get an idea of the accomodations and a feel for the resorts. All but 2 of the resorts I named are on the beach, except Romora Bay and The Rock House which are on the leeward side of the island.
Jan 17th, 2007, 12:33 PM

topping for cantstayhome
Jan 19th, 2007, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

thanks! Was in technology h*ll the last few days - got a virus at home, was out of town for a bit, and had no time to come back to check while working. Gosh, work sure does get in the way of making travel plans!

Small Hope Bay sounds pretty fun. I'm not a diver (my husband still makes fun of me for freaking when a puffer fish got too close to me in Hawaii 7 years ago), but may try to suck it up and give snorkeling a try. Also sounds like Small Hope Bay may not be a bad place to try out diving. After reading Shadow Divers, though, I don't know....

Sailing would be fun, but I fear our collective experience is too limited to feel comfortable doing it on our own. Perhaps a motor boat rental would be a bit more appropriate (that we can handle!), although we would much rather sail. I'm definitely taking the little fellow's pfd wherever we end up.
Jan 19th, 2007, 08:37 AM

Small Hope Bay's instructors and safety standard were very high when I visited. All of the divemasters were long term employees and mature. I was impressed with them. The resort itself is very laid back, accomodations are spartan, very friendly.
In MOW there were several boat for hire options. Getting a local to skipper you to other islands would be a good plan. You can do lunch, shop, etc on your own timetable.
Glad to see you back on line!
Jan 19th, 2007, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

I found Fodor's only a year ago, but miss it when I'm away!