Bermuda in May for a romantic anniversary

Jan 19th, 2007, 04:41 AM
Original Poster

Bermuda in May for a romantic anniversary

My husband and I are narrowing down our options for our upcoming anniversary vacation in the beginning of May. We are looking for beautiful beaches, wonderful snorkeling, and relaxation (but not total boredom). We love beach vacations such as St John and Maui. We also want a safe island that is easy to navigate around. Any advice would be appreciated.

Our search has lead us to the Bahamas, Turks & Caicos, and Bermuda (based mostly on price for us to get there and stay a week).

I know Bermuda isn't technically the Caribbean, but could we expect the same kind of water and temps? Where should we stay? What should we do there?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Jan 19th, 2007, 04:52 AM

Bermuda is a great choice! The water temps are warmer in June, but the temps are fine to swim in May. It depends on how warm you expect it to be.
Your accomodations will depend on your budget and whether you want a small resort, or a large resort with numerous amenities.
We personally like the Reefs Club. It is smaller. We have also stayed at the Southampton Princess(very nice)but larger and more impersonal. We would like to try Elbow beach one day because their beach is gorgeous. You can check these out online and get back with a no that is not at all what we are looking for or whatever.
The bus system in bermuda is very safe and cheap. I rode the bus with my children when they were very small and we went every where without any fear as to where we would wind up. You can also rent mopeds or take taxis.
The town is cute.
It is a very safe and beautiful island and we look forward to returning again.
cmcfong is a regular and I swear she must have some Bermudian blood because she goes all the time. Type in her name and she has lots of advice to other travelers.
Jan 19th, 2007, 05:09 AM

LOL, girlonthego. My heart is certainly Bermudian!
Jan 19th, 2007, 08:33 AM

I love Bermuda, too! I don't know for sure, but suspect May would be fine in the weather department - I'm sure somebody else will be able to answer that question definitively. We've gone in March and April and have had some very nice beach days, and some chilly rainy days. Still better than Boston weather that time of year and can't beat the convenience of getting there!

For a romantic anniversary place to stay, you may want to check out Cambridge Beaches, too. We really enjoyed it, but alas, it will be awhile before we return due to having a little one. No kids under 12 allowed in the dining room there. Think the policy is that kids are allowed at the resort, but only with a nanny. Is very tempting to take her next time....
Jan 19th, 2007, 08:42 AM

http://www.weather.bm is a good resource for historical data on temps and conditions in Bermuda.
A nice midrange, oceanfront resort (next door to the fantastic Elbow Beach) is Coco Reef. The Reefs and Cambridge Beaches are both excellent choices. Pompano Beach is wonderful. I toured the refurbished cottages in Dec and was quite impressed. Surfside is a less expensive option which gets good reviews from other posters. I was not impressed with the food there, but another poster said it was where she had her best meals.
http://www.bermudatourism.com is a wonderful resource as it lists the hotels and the price ranges so you can narrow your choices based on budget and amenities.
Bermuda is a wonderful place to celebrate an anniversary.
Jan 19th, 2007, 11:32 AM

Bermuda is such an elegant island. If you are looking for a luxurious place you will find it there and in May it will be warm. It is a safe, upscale island destination free from beach vendors and you will find a full range of activities both on and off the beach. Although technically it's
not part of the Caribbean, Bermuda has all the sun and sand that the Caribbean does. The Southhampton resort stands high above the sea with views of the island and includes a spa. We visited the Bermuda Aquarium and Zoo, which is an excellent break from the beach. There is also the Naval Royal Dockyard. It includes a shopping mall,a crafts market, and the Bermuda Maritime Museum. I also really liked the Crystal Caves.

Check out the Bermuda website at www.bermudatourism.com.

Jan 19th, 2007, 12:37 PM

I am going in June for my anniversary and staying at the Pompano Beach Club. Everyone has wonderful things to say about this hotel.
Jan 19th, 2007, 12:51 PM

I've always wanted to stay at the Reefs in Bermuda based on location and rave reviews of it. But my husband doesn't love Bermuda (hates to dress up ever and likes a more rustic island). We've been once and I do hope to return.

Another idea if your trip is less than a week would be Harbour Island off Eleuthera in the Bahamas. There's not a ton to do so a week might be long if you need activity but the beach is the most beautiful I've ever seen and the people are warm and friendly. We stayed at Coral Beach which had lovely public areas and average rooms (but a good price). I might try Runaway Bay the next time. Snorkeling is just o.k. so this may not do it for you but thought I'd throw it out for another option.