Search

Bermuda suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 05:51 AM
Lori

Bermuda suggestions

We are planning our honeymoon for 8-10 days in August. Have heard wonderful things about Bermuda. Looking for a wonderful place to stay (...we are not the most romantic,sunset,looking in eachothers eyes type couple) so need a more activity oriented hotel. Can get a great deal from Southampton prinecess--but have heard very mixed reviews. The reefs is more than $1000 more for the week, but is it worth it?<BR>Please tell me about hotels,best beaches,pools...and we need ideas of activities around the island...we dont play golf or tennis...but will snorkle...and adventure the island.has anyone swam with the dolphins?we have also heard it is a good idea to get an american food plan with 2 meals per day included. any thoughts?

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 07:35 AM
Parrot Mom

All the Bermuda experts, Bermuda Obsessed People are at <BR>/www.keyguide.com/cgi-local/index.cgi... they know everything..lol

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 02:53 PM
margaret

<BR>The Reefs is MUCH nicer than the Southampton Princess. It is smaller, more Bermudian, and right on the beach which the Princess is not. It is also right next door to the Sonesta, so that if you want what a large hotel has to offer (multi-bars, shops,etc) you can just walk over to the Sonesta. I think the Reefs is my all-time favorite travel destination.

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 02:58 PM
margaret

<BR>sorry, forgot to add that the MAP is a very good deal. You get so much at breakfast that you don't really need lunch, and the dinners are delicious and elegant - several courses all served beautifully. <BR>As for what to do; rent motorbkies, or buy a bus pass, or both. The island is small and you will be able to see all of it. You can go to numerous beaches, St. George's, Hamilton and the navy yard - we once saw Queen Elizabeth's yatch there........I wouldn't bother with the dolphin shows, etc....touristy and mean to the dolphins.<BR>again re: the Reefs. I have stayed in many hotels and cottage colonies in Bermuda and, obviouslyl it's my favorite. Also terrific, though are Elbow Beach, Horizons, and SurfSide(no meal plan but cheaper as kitches are included).<BR>I know you'll have a wonderful time whever you stay - the island is an Eden.

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 03:03 PM
Adele

The Reefs is wonderful. People return there year after year. The hotel is a member of the Bermuda Collection which allows you to "dine around" at other resorts each night if you like: Cambridge Beaches, Pompano Beach, Stonington, Ariel Sands are some of the others. Also, all rooms overlook the beach and you will be lulled to sleep with the ocean waves. Also great: Horizons & Cottages, though the beach is across the way. Whereever you go, have a wonderful honeymoon.

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 02:13 PM
Nancy

Lori,<BR>My husband and I booked The Reefs for our honeymoon last August and were really disappointed. The room was "cellar like" no chairs on the cement deck. When we went to book our dinner reservations there were none avaliable. We were NOT impressed. We left that evening and went to Elbow (would not recommend). We toured many properties that week. If you do not need to be beahfront The Rosedon was a beautiful place, breakfast served on your private patio, or by the pool. The staff could not have been friendlier and during a busy time of day, took time out to show us around. Good Luck!

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 04:31 AM
Tracey

Dear Lori,<BR>

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 04:32 AM
tracey

Dear Lori,<BR>

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 04:38 AM
tracey

Dear Lori,<BR>My husband and I went to Bermuda 2 years ago and stayed at the Sonesta Beach resort. Our room was beautiful with an ocean view. The pool and beach were OK but the hotel is in walking distance to Horseshoe beach-unbelievable. It was very hot and humid at the end of June. I can only imagine how hot it will be in August and also remember that it is the start Hurricane season in August. Good luck!!!!<BR>

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 06:42 AM
Mike

Dear Lori,<BR> You sound a lot like my wife and I . We went to Bermuda for 5 days in June '00 and thought it was very nice but not a lot to do, if you aren't into golfing. We stayed at a great hotel( The Elbow) went into town and thought it was great but I think that 8- to 10 days in Bermuda is personally too long. It was also VERY HOT!! We love the beach in the summer but in Bermuda the heat and humidity was over the top!! I know that many people LOVE Bermuda and I think it was a great long weekend getaway. We are going to Aruba in July and I have heard so many great things about the island, especially for honeymooners. Aruba is also out of the hurricane belt and it always has a constant temp of 85 with an ocean breeze.<BR>Good luck with your choice and keep me updated!!! <BR>

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 07:21 AM
vickie

Lori: I was in Bermuda for 4 days about a year ago. I can't wait to go back! Unfortunately, I can't speak for any hotels/villas since we were on a cruise ship (yuk! won't do that again!). I've heard good things about Stonington and have looked at pictures...it looks very nice. My favorite beach was Warwick Bay. Everytime we went to Warwick beach, no matter what time of day, there was never more than 3 or 4 other people there and it's a beautiful beach! Horseshoe beach is also nice but was always VERY crowded. We ate at 4 or 5 different restaurants in Bermuda and were always impressed with the food and service. Definitely go to Fresco's Wine Bar and Restaurant in Hamilton, The Frog and Onion Pub in the Naval Dockyard (has live music at night) and Tio Pepe on Southshore Road (across from Horseshoe Beach and a great place to sit out on the little front patio for lunch). We used the bus a few times for transportation but with the frequent stops it took too long to get anywhere. The scenery is beautiful so the best part of our trip was renting the scooters for several days and just driving all over the island and stopping at all the beautiful bays, beaches, and restaurants. Be sure to drive through Somerset. If you've never been, I think you'll be impressed with how clean and pleasant this island is. The Bermuda locals are the most courteous and friendliest people. I know you'll have a great time!

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 09:09 AM
spocker104

Hi Lori<BR>Went on our Honeymoon 19 years ago at the Reef and it was fine but not great. We visited and wished we had stayed at the Southhampton Princess. My brother visited last October stayed at the Princess and loved it. Make sure you tell them you want a room that has an unobstructed view.<BR>Hope this helps.

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 02:47 PM
dfgh

For activities, the SH Princess!

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 09:28 AM
Caroline

Lori-<BR>My husband and I honeymooned at The Southhampton Princess for our honeymoon from September 1-September 8th and had a lovely time. I highly recommend spending the extra money and staying on the Entree Gold floor. I wouldn't stay in the regular part of the hotel b/c there is no guarantee of a renovated room. The views are beautiful and the afternoon tea, breakfast and finger sandwiches in the afternoon are a nice touch. The library is quite nice and there is internet access, also free beverages all day (no alcohol though). The honeymoon got off to a rough start though in that they tried to put us in a room with 2 double beds when we had specifically requested a King when we booked in Feb. It took three phone calls and a lot of yelling until a nice woman manager came and miraculously found a room with a king bed.<BR><BR>I recommend taking the MAP because eating is so expensive and trust me it is worth the $15 surcharge per person to eat at the Newport Room and the Waterlot Inn. We did those 4 out of the 7 nights and found them to be a better value. Don't bother with the Hamilton Princess restaurants as the whole hotel is under renovation.<BR><BR>We did the Dolphin Quest and loved it! We have some great pictures with the dolphins. Enjoyed the Maritime Museum as well. Checked out Crystal Caves, Hamilton and the Perfumery and Swizzle Inn, but spent most of the time relaxing on the beach. The shuttles come often so don't worry.<BR><BR>Another hint--you can rent the snorkeling equipment for half the price at Horseshoe Bay beach which is a stone's throw away from the hotel beach. Enjoyed the lobby bar in the evenings, sometimes there is live entertainment.<BR><BR>When we went the pool and spa were not complete but looks like they will be great when completed.<BR><BR>We did not rent a moped, but were able to get around using taxis..Also, highly recommend going to Gibbs Lighthouse for a breathtaking view.<BR><BR>Overall, nice relaxing vacation. Enjoy!

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 10:13 AM
Carol

We spent 10 days in Bermuda last summer-also our 1st trip. I would return for the gorgeous pink beaches, azure ocean, and natural beauty. Whatever you do, avoid staying at the Sonesta. When we arrived, we were totally ignored by the desk clerks who were engaged in personal conversation. We were assigned to a room above the kitchen, that reeked of grease. The room was in horrible shape. Several drawers were hanging out of the broken dresser, and there was no knob on the bathroom. We were eventually transferred to a more acceptable room, but it was not much better. The staff was incredibly rude, without exception--in the restaurants, the bell staff, the maids. The pool deck is so tiny and narrow that you have to step over other occupied lounge chairs to get to yours. There was mildew everywhere, inside and out. I could go on, but you get the picture. On a positive note,I can recommend that you try the Lighthouse cafe for breakfast. It is near the Sonesta (we could walk) and it is an actual lighthouse with a small cafe inside. Very casual, with lovely views of the island. Restaurant meals are terribly expensive, so a meal plan sounds like a good idea. Have a great vacation!

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 02:39 PM
Jan

While many like the VERY wide range of activities at the Southampton Princess, don't overlook the fact that The Reefs (and other small hotels) often include a lot of extras in the basic room rate -- MAP, complimentary snorkeling gear, etc. We loved our stay at the Reefs, and prefer the warmer ambiance of this very-Bermuda property to the larger hotels. Also: if you like snorkeling, you can do some of it right off their beach, and Church Bay is short sea-kayak ride just around the point.<BR>I'd avoid the Sonesta since it seems to attract A LOT of families -- not honeymoon material, and I've heard some complaints about various things. The Southampton Princess has lots going on, but also attracts conferences, etc. These properties probably have the largest pools on Bermuda, but not necessarily the nicest experience unless you like to share with throngs.<BR><BR>We've also had a really nice experience with Horizons $ Cottages, a Relais & Chateau property and a classic BErmuda cottage colony, but it is expensive, even by Bermuda standards. Drawbacks would be the lack of the wide range of activities, but the staff is super and can make anything happen, e.g golf. Also: it is not directly on the beach, but a short walk to the public beach or to its sister property, Coral Beach Club (annoying $15 surcharge, but its a classic experience.) There is a lovely pool area at this hotel -- you feel like its your villa in Bermuda.<BR>Final comment: I could easily do 8-10 days in Bermuda, but I'm not sure about people who can't sit still on a beach for a while. How much snorkeling, etc. do you like to do?