Looking for condo resort on St. John

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2006, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We haven't been to St. John in twenty years. Back then it was not developed and had very few tourists. First question, are there many tourists who come over from St. Thomas from the cruise ships? Secondly, we stayed at Caneel when we visited twenty years ago. It was very nice but our tastes have changed in regard to accomodations. We prefer condos as we like to eat in as much as eating out.

I have seen many posts regarding the crime on St. John with regard to renting villas. Is there a gated condo resort located closer to the beaches? I'm talking about possibly ten or more condos together with a pool. Kind of what you would find on Cayman or Turks and Caicos. What I've read so far seems to say condos are only situated up on the bluffs not close to the beaches. Also, does caneel have condos now?

If St. John's has become very touristy, would you suggest Curacao. We love to dive, snorkel with our children, and go on adventures around the island. Shopping in my opinion is about the same any where you go in the caribbean... crystal, jewelry etc. really not looking for the "port of call" feel.

Thanks
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 08:56 AM

St John is still far from touristy. My favorite island, it's still got the laid back not overly developed feel we enjoy.

The only two resorts on the island are Caneel Bay & The Westin. I believe the Westin may have the kind of condos you're looking for with a kitchen included. Best to check their website for the correct details. I have not stayed there.

Another good option for you is Gallows Point condos. I'm not sure if they have a pool or not.

We rent a villa for ourselves. From my experince, I don't think the crime issues are as serious as they are made out to be. If you are half sensible about your belongings and the way you conduct yourself in public places, I don't think there's necessity of worry.
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 12:10 PM

I second the first response. And yes, Gallows Point does have a pool. If you're traveling with kids, I suppose the Westin condos might be a better bet. My husband and I prefer Gallows Point hands down. But Gallows is not directly on a beach. There's good snorkeling right there-- a rocky put-in-- and great beaches are within a 10 min drive. Lots of posts on Fodor's about Westin and Gallows I'd assume. Also maybe check Trip Advisor.com. The second floor condos at Gallows might be just the thing for you and your kids, by the way. A bedroom upstairs in a little loft and fold out sofa beds in the large living space down. (But there'd probably be more kids for them to hang out with at Westin.)
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 06:51 PM

We are renting a condo/villa timeshare at the Westin from the owners in April. It is much more affordable this way. You can check out this web site: http://www.stjohncondos.com/ Hopefully, we won't have any problems. Can't wait to go!
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replys

Funny thing, I was on the phone with one of the rental companies and the woman said she had stayed at Gallows before and thought the privacy was terrible. She said she could hear everything going on in the unit next door to her and vice versa. Any feedback?
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 07:49 AM

I strongly dislike noisy places. Don't remember being bothered at all at Gallows. No guarantees though....
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 12:49 PM

Beautiful condos above the Westin Resort. We traded our timeshare into there. Probably the nicest condo we have stayed in.
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 05:22 PM
Original Poster

I wonder if I should advertise on this site for a condo at the Westin. The Westin is sold out.
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 05:47 PM
anonxx

jean0151 - How easy was it to trade your timeshare in for a condo at the Westin? Where is your "home" resort?

Old Jan 31st, 2006, 07:38 AM

I have a timeshare with Starwood that includes the Westin. I would be willing to rent it this year if you're interested. The only issue is availability. The timeshares book up for many months ahead.

What dates are you interested in? I can check if I can get those dates. If you'd like, e-mail me at [email protected]
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 01:54 PM

Here is a good aerial map of St. John and the National Park. Currently this is the only air photo map. Hope it helps.

http://www.cccarto.com/wmaps/virginis