Looking for AI for an October Honeymoon...

Old Apr 15th, 2003, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

Looking for AI for an October Honeymoon...

Any advice? We were leaning towards Sandals Antigua. I really wanted to go to St. John or Turks & Caicos but there aren't any AI's there right? We want AI because it is so much easier not to worry about where to eat and tipping everytime we want something. We just want to relax on the beach sipping coaktails and enjoying each other. We'll need it after all of this wedding planning stress!
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 08:21 AM

I know this isn't one of your suggestions but my husband and I went last year (for our one year anniversary) to Playa Del Carmen, Mexico. Its 40-45 mi. south of Cancun (so you fly to Cancun) and then get driven to your hotel. We stayed at the Royal Hideaway Resort and Spa and it was the best AI I have ever been too. I can't stop raving about this place! I recommend it a lot to people, only because it was a beautiful place with 5 star food, service, and accommodations for a great value, especially being all-inclusive. Our honeymoon was spent at the Sandals Halcyon in St. Lucia, but I just felt too much like in a chain. It didn't have its "individual charm, characteristics". Don't get me wrong the Sandals are nice resorts, but I figure for the amount of $$ they charge for their "so-called" garden rooms, its just a rip-off and especially for your honeymoon you want a rememoriable place for good reasons. I know its not St. John or Turks & Caicos, but if you REALLY want to go the AI route, I would HIGHLY recommend this resort. Check out royalhideaway.com for more info. Plus when we went last year it was from Oct. 10-16 and we hit perfect weather! But you are never guaranteed perfect weather during that time because it is still considered hurricane season. If you'd like I can email you photos of the resort, beaches, etc. Good Luck!
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 08:57 AM

If you really want to go to Turks & Caicos there is a Beaches. Although it is not couples only, in October there will probably not be many children. We spent a week at Beaches TCI last September, the resort was not at all crowded, only children were toddler age and the resort is BEAUTIFUL. We used newhorizonsvacations.com and got a great price. Good Luck.
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 09:45 AM

Ering, we honeymooned at Sandals Antigua last October and despite the worry after reading mixed reviews, we really enjoyed it. The beach is beautiful, large and spread out with very calm water. The grounds are very lush/tropical and well kept.

You said you wanted AI so there are no worries, well that is what we liked the most about the resort. We left our purse/wallet in the safe the entire week and this made for a VERY relaxing and carefree honeymoon. It was also nice to have access to the watersports equipment anytime we liked. The resort has a real laid back, romantic feel to it.

We found it perfect for a honeymoon (of course there are much nicer places out there but for a pretty penny!). With the discount they are offering it was well worth the price. We enjoyed every minute and would recommend it to anyone. If you have any questions, please ask! Congrats!
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 01:20 PM

eringo00: There are a number of high-end hotels that offer a nearly-AI option all over the Caribbean that would both fit your desires to not have to worry about extra costs and that would still give you a one of a kind, unforgettably romantic, honeymoon. Since you're travelling in October, you'll be able to get good prices at any of the top resorts that are open. Sandals may be exactly what you're looking for, but you should be forewarned that they do feel very much like a "chain." You may decide that the convenience of staying at one overrides the cookie-cutter aspect of them, or may you decide that you'd like to do a little more research for a perfect honeymoon.

Why don't you tell us the 3-4 most important things for you to get out of your honeymoon: beaches, degree of romance, degree of seclusion, nightlife, entertainment, food quality, spa availablity, sports activities, heavy or moderate drinking, site seeing, shopping, historical sites, etc. That way we can give you a more informed answer of where you should look.

Congrats!
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I really didn't want the "cookie cutter" feeling of Sandals but I didn't know where to start looking for AI. What we really would like is somewhere right on the beach where we can just relax, a romantic setting, some night life and a variety of restaurants. (This actually sounds like a Sandals ad to me!) So any more suggestions would be appreciated!

Beachlover99...what rooms do you suggest there? I would like to be close to or right on the beach...are those rooms worth it?

Old Apr 16th, 2003, 08:09 AM

We stayed in the grand luxe beachfront concierge level. After being there a few days, we felt these were the best location for beachfront besides the most expensive suite (highest level). Some of the rondovals were beachfront but walkways ran around them which made them not much for privacy. Our room was not large but it was very comfortable and kept incredibly clean. The only time we were in the room was to change and sleep.

We really enjoyed the resort and didn't find it to be "cookie cutter." The atmosphere was very laid back and romantic. The grounds are so lush and tropical and the beach was great. There are beautiful sunsets also. After dinner, there was entertinment in the courtyard and we found it to be great to have something to do, although some nights we would just wonder around the resort and spend time in the hammocks or whirlpools. It's a great place if you want something to do if you want to do nothing at all.

To let you know, the food was always good but not spectacular. If an amazing meal each night is a priority, then you won't find at an All-inclusive. We were happy as long as our stomaches were filled and the food wasn't awful. They did a candlelight dinner for us since it was our honeymoon and we had steak and lobster (the lobster was great!) and there were flower petals on the table. It was very romantic. We also enjoyed our experience at the Japanese restaraunt.
Congrats again, and if you have any more questions, please ask. Also, I have pics I can send you. Email me at [email protected].
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 09:42 AM

Seriously check out the Royal Hideaway, it sounds like what you're look for. They also have beach service, you take a flag with you when you go to your beach chair and then when you want service you just stick it in the sand. Plus the sand never gets hot here because its hollow! Check out www.royalhideaways.com and I would be happpy to email you some pictures!
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 10:57 AM

Highly recommend Swept Away in Negril, Jamaica. We were married and honeymooned there. It is an AI - but very intimate, romantic, reasonably quiet and absolutely everything you need. Met alot of people who were very satisfied.

Do a search on this site for Swept Away and an Internet search for info on various other travel websites.

We researched extensively for an AI for exactly the reason you mentioned - and felt this resort was good value and unique from the others.
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 11:21 AM

I have to agree with the previous poster about the Royal Hideaway Resort -- we had a FABULOUS stay there a few years ago. I think you would be very happy there. Unfortunately I don't think the website does it any justice.

My husband and I went there before we got married...and it really set the bar for future vacations.

congrats and happy honeymooning!
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Keep the ideas coming! We were just in Jamaica this past August and had a great time (stayed in a villa at Tryall). That was my fiancee's first island experience so we are looking to go to another island.

For some reason I've always had a mental block about going to Mexico but people say they love it. Royal Hideaway and Moon Palace have been suggested over and over. We were looking to stay in the Caribbean and leave Mexico for a later trip but who knows!
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 12:01 PM

I know what you are saying about Mexico. Years ago I was in Cancun and now it is very "americanized" so I heard about the riviera maya/playa del carmen area and started to do research. Its an entirely different feel. Less built up and miles of soft white sand beaches with clear caribbean water. (cancun is like that too again though more built up w/ high-rises etc.) At the Royal Hideaway and other resorts there the water IS filtered so you don't have to worry about drinking the water. I tend to drink a lot of water everyday so I was hesitant about drinking the water they served you with dinner and had it everyday and had no problem. You do get the feel of the caribbean because you are on the coast, yet you have the option to go explore the ruins, jungle, etc. where you can feel more of the mexican heritage, etc. Definitely think about it!