Bus or Taxi in Bermuda

Old Mar 26th, 2003, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bus or Taxi in Bermuda

Normally, it looks like buses are the way to go in Bermuda. To/from Hamilton, do you think there are any trips where a taxi might be more advisable? Maybe the walk from the bus stop is too long or hilly, some reason like that.
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 02:16 PM

It depends where you are staying. Some hotels have a bus stop right outside the front driveway. Generally, during the day, buses would be a better option. The bus routes are quite extensive so you should be able to get where you want to go fairly easily.<BR><BR>Where are you staying and where do you want to go?
Old Mar 27th, 2003, 05:32 AM
Original Poster

<BR>Staying at Hamilton Princess.<BR><BR>Thoughts are spending days at west end, east end, south part for beaches, not sure about 4th day, Hamilton probably; north side interesting enough to check out? And it all depends on the weather.
Old Mar 27th, 2003, 08:25 AM

I spent four days in Bermuda in September and I rented a moped/scooter. Skip the bus (you'll be attacked by gnats while waiting) and rent one of these! There's nothing like being able to hop on your bike AND go!
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 02:02 PM

Jamie...we stay at the HP &amp; there are usually taxi's out front. When are you going to Bermuda?<BR><BR>The HP has a free ferry which takes you over to the Fairmont Southampton where you can use their beach and other facilities. Also on Sundays in the summer, the ferry also goes to Dockyard from both hotels.
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 04:21 AM

Jamie, I have been driving a moped for<BR>many many years as a tourist on Bermuda. I enjoy it, but unless you are comfortable driving one, I have also seen lots of accidents. We are not use to driving on left. My husband was stopped, turning right, a young honeymooner passed him on the right, crash, I watched in horror as their heads bounced on the blacktop. Also have seen lots of broken bones, as mopeds hit the coral curbs. Lots more traffic on the island, since the insurance business beats out tourism. It is great to hop on a moped and go, but its not for all. Only you can make that call.<BR> Bermuda is a wonderful little gem. Lots to see and do!
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 08:21 AM

You can easily get around the island by bus. The buses run on the same schedule as in most other places (10-15 minutes apart on weekdays, 20-30 minutes apart nights and weekends), and the stops are easily accessible. However, I would recommend a taxi at night as some of the bus stops are on really narrow roads without much of a shoulder to stand on, which might create a hazardous situation if there's an inattentive driver.<BR><BR>If you're thinking of renting a moped just be aware that the roads are narrow and curvy in many places, and drive extra defensively as you'll be sharing the road with a lot of folks who are aren't used to left side driving.<BR><BR>Have fun!
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 10:10 AM

Bus is the way to go. You can get a week pass or multiple day pass and it takes you just about everywhere. Good way to tour the island. Bermuda is one my favorite so far.
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 05:45 AM

You are in a great location, ferries, bus terminal, just a short walk away. I would recommend you purchase a three-day pass (you can use it on the ferry as well).
Old Apr 6th, 2003, 07:15 AM

We sailed to St. George's and were docked there for a week. We purchased the public transportation pass too and totally agree that it's a good choice to get around - you can use it for the ferry too. It stops at most of the hotels, in front of the entrances to beaches, restaurants, etc. I am adventurous and enjoy mopeds/scooters but have heard horror stories about accidents on Bermuda. The roads are narrow and winding...
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

Returned from Bermuda last week. We used the taxis and ferries only. Maybe for only 2 reasons ... didn't see many buses around and we were there for less than a week. I would really like to recommend that you avoid renting the mopeds. One of our taxi drivers followed a girl and guy on one much too closely. They could have been killed. <BR><BR>Locals have always been driving these narrow, windy roads and the tourists are absolutely no match for them. This is nothing new; same thing happened when I was there in 1979, bus driver in that case. Be careful!